little solar panel roof mishap

Karlton

Hey there - I caught the solar panel on my roof with a branch recently and ripped it off the mount. Here's the damage...overall pretty minor but would like some feedback, please.

Roof - overall, no structural issues and it opens and closes fine. There is a small hole about the size of a dime. What product would you recommend to patch? I've read 3M 5200 has been recommended for small damage.

Solar panel - looks okay but the plug bent. I wanted to upgrade to a 175 watt, and here's my chance.

Solar panel mount - the z-brackets broke, and I'll replace these. The mounting frame I fashioned and mounted to the tracks is fine.

Solar roof plug - this sustained some damage given the mounting position and will need to be replaced. I was never happy with how the plug from the panel had to be bent to sit under the panel. I want to replace with a roof cap - anyone modify to use this port? Suggestions for removing the sealant from the old plug and what product to use to seal the new plug is appreciated.

https://www.specialized.net/zamp-solar-zs-1b-cap-1port-rv-roof-cap-low-profile-uv-resistant.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwj42UBhAAEiwACIhADldLFQp5_Lp8oxtFeM1BtHPyKSLscvzu6ciWKtl8v18koyiMteJt7hoCQxUQAvD_BwE

5200 is a great product but will sag while curing over a dime size hole. You'll need to back it up with something till it cures, masking tape can work. Best repair would be to patch with a piece of thin aluminum, scuff and clean with solvent all mating surfaces, use 5200 as both the adhesive and sealant, thus avoiding putting screw or rivet holes in the roof. Keep light pressure on the repair piece while it cures. Side note: 5200 is avail. in regular or fast cure.

I used a 2part epoxy designed for aluminum boat repair and sold in boat shops (west marine) to patch some oversized screw holes...

I used an aluminum patch and 5200 to repair a 2" tear in my roof. Hasn't leaked for 5+ years.

Hi Karlton,
Another option would be to use Eternabond tape to cover your roof hole. This is an industrial product used in commercial roof repair. I used it on some leaking seams on an older truck camper roof over 5 years ago. The tape is still like new and holding strong. I keep some in my camper at all times for any emergency repair. Just follow the simple installation instructions and it will be a 5 minute permanent repair job.

Back
Top Bottom