Locking Differential Thread

I think he is talking about the axle shaft in each axle. A normal differential is designed to let one side of the axle or one wheel to overtake the other in a turn whereas a locker is designed to keep each side of the axle rotating at the same speed. There are provisions in some lockers to unlock in a turn, the "bang" with a Detroit.

Axle Shafts

I think he is talking about the axle shaft in each axle.

Yes, axle shafts. Thank you.

Essentially, an open differential will--in a tight turn--apply something like 80% of the energy (torque?) to a single axle shaft; however, the change from 50% to 80% energy is applied gradually (and I use the term loosely) whereas the auto-locker can go from 0% to 100% instantaneously (again, loose use). This application of energy or force can be hard on your axles.

---

So, back to the original question: what is the best set-up for occasional off-road use? Open differentials front, rear, and transfer case with traction control managed via computer controlled brake application.

But who wants that?

Certainly NOT me!!!!

---

All this talk of hard-core 4 wheelin' is making me think I need to lift and lock my truck plus buy a jeep.

Guys, I can't afford that. :eek:

SB

Torsen differential

One other type is the Torsen differential which they describe as a "torque bias" differential. It doesn't lock, but will divert x% of the total torque available to the high traction wheel. The percent of torque sent to each axle vary's with the particular model. They support some after market applications like the venerable ford 9 inch. It looks like a pretty cool design - no clutch packs or ratcheting gears. It's done with worm gears. If I were upgrading, I would look pretty closely at them.

This sounds very similar to the Detroit Trutrac as well... I am running that in the front of my Jeep. It seems to work pretty well... although, not as good as a true locker.

Front diffs give you a lot of options since you don't normally use them. My Jeep has a limited slip diff in the front (name skips me atm) a clutch type. I would never use a clutch type lsd in the simply because I don't want to replace the clutch discs on an annual basis. But, I had my local Jeep shop set it up, and I'm not an expert on lsd's but they can make them nearly as tight as a locker.

But anyway, if I wasn't going to go with a selectable locker in the truck (and I'm not, funds just aren't and won';t be there for a while) I'd go with the best limited slip unit made for my vehicle. With the exception of my Jeep (not a stock unit), normally you won't notice anything on the road and it will help a lot offroad.

Someone is probably going to bring up "okie posi". Application of the brakes while under power causing an open diff to apply power to both side equally. Works on older non computer controlled vehicles. Tried it on the Jeep once, cost me just under a grand in parts to fix what broke.

Just an opinion

Been out backpacking for 9 days… see what I’ve been missing.

I had open differential in the Toyota until one day on a Utah road that was just bladed I was caught in a bad down pour thunder storm. Talk about grease…

I chose the Detroit Tru-trac for the front and the Detroit Soft locker for the back. This is only because at the time there were problems with the ARB for the Toyota’s. For me the front Tru-trac works great with the gear driven it releases the torque to side to side so you can steer at speeds down the road or trail and snow. If I was to do the front again I would get the ARB but I like what I have.

The rear….The soft locker lasted a while in the stock Toyota axel. To tell the truth it is scary in certain situations. Down hill on ice…trying to drive on a very narrow cliff with tight turns it wants to crab the rear over the edge.

Well after blowing up the stock rear end I put a Dana 60 with an ARB in. I’ve been very pleased with it. I can run open and just turn it on when needed.

But in combo I added long Traction bars in the rear. This made a huge difference in the sand and climbing as the rear end maintains traction with no wheel hop.

I built for where I want to go but as of late don’t want to go that extreme and have to spend the time and money to fix it later.

So for the front: Detroit Tru-trac, ARB, Electric or selectable type locker.

And for the rear: Limited Slip, ARB, or Electric, or selectable type locker.

This is my choices for part-time off road use but really need to get out or across. Get a feel for when to use them and what to expect.

Dana 44 with electric rear locker = stock in Nissan Frontier Nismo package. Also equals lots of fun places. but again, that is ony if you are into that stuff. to each their own.

Back
Top Bottom