Locking propane tanks in Hawk

Curious, do the newer campers have a LPG main line shut off that can be controlled from inside the camper ?

PJorgen said:
Let's be clear - it is NOT illegal for a private owner to install a lock on the propane compartment. The manufacturer probably follows NFPA guideline 1192 which is fire safety for RVs and recommends against a locking propane compartment. Note that this is a guideline, not a law,

That being said, it has been pointed out that there are good reasons not to lock the propane compartment and times when you may want to lock it. As a compromise, I installed a combination lock on the propane compartment of my Hawk:

https://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-7850R-XL-Combination-Chrome-Finish/dp/B005OAWOAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid

I leave it unlocked most of the time but lock it when I will be away from the camper for a long time and it's parked in an area with a lot of people. I also make sure to turn the propane off anytime I lock the compartment. I think this is a reasonably safe compromise.
Oooh! I like the combo lock! I have a lock on the propane compartment that is keyed the same as the camper door and water fill door. Probably faster for me than a combo lock. First I would have to find my glasses. Then I would have to find the piece of paper in my wallet where I wrote down the combination. Then I would take 3 attempts to get the numbers correct..... :D

cwdtmmrs said:
Oooh! I like the combo lock! I have a lock on the propane compartment that is keyed the same as the camper door and water fill door. Probably faster for me than a combo lock. First I would have to find my glasses. Then I would have to find the piece of paper in my wallet where I wrote down the combination. Then I would take 3 attempts to get the numbers correct..... :D
I hear you about not seeing the numbers on the lock but I usually have my glasses close by. I use the area code of my home phone as the combo, so easy to remember and I change the digits by a specific amount when I lock it so I can unlock it by feel alone if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom