Looking at new Alaskans

The Bride and I spent a few days in Central Oregon, and bumped into another photographer who has lived in his Alaskan for 14 years. It's on a 2001 F350, with a Highway Products aluminum flatbed, plus multiple aluminum storage boxes. He said that he had taken it into extremely rough country, and there were scars to prove it, but it's still going. He said he just visits the factory when he breaks something that he can't fix himself.

I'm impressed with these campers.

The short list is Alaskan, Hallmark and FWC. All have advantages and compromises..... I have seen FWC and like them. I would like to see an Alaskan and Hallmark before I drop a ton O' money but my camper decision will affect my truck decision. FWC can do an F150. Hallmark maybe, Alaskan probably needs a 250. Trying to sort it all out and enjoying the process and the folks on this wonderful site!

If anyone doesn't want to "risk" the price of a new Alaskan Camper to see how it "fits" you/your uses (your spouse?), there are quite a few used for sale if you vigorously troll the 'net. Figure out which model fits you best, and hunt for it used. Sell it later for very close to what you paid for it when your brand new one is ready at the factory....if that is what you want/decide. Using one for a few months will help you decide the options you want, and if "new" means that much to you. Be aware that the Alaskans have been around a long time and pickup bed sizes have varied, and Alaskans have changed some (I believe) in response, so not all year's campers fit all trucks....and not just in length. A tape measure is your friend!
Yes, a 3/4 ton is minimum to haul the larger models, but a one tonner would be better.

Be aware the Alaskans are all made to order, and vary widely on options ordered by customers, plus they vary by options offered by the factory through the decades, besides the length and cabover bed size.

Good luck either way you go, and happy hunting to anyone who goes searching. Btw, Craigslist is your friend for good deals on used.

Vector1 said:
Since I'm also Looking at new Alaskans, I thought I'd piggy-back and keep things neat, and was hoping someone here could provide some feedback.

1) Does anyone have experience with the "utility box" option, bed deletes vs cab and chassis, etc.? It looks like it might be a good option for a regular cab truck.

2) How are Alaskans for use off the truck? Do they require additional support under the floor, etc.

Many thanks,

Bob
Utility option is by far the best for ANY pop up camper. I've had quite a few "adventure" setups and none even compare. My cab and chassis was ordered and delivered to Alaskan where they added the bed and custom made camper for a "perfect fit" cabover. Ridiculous amount of storage with all the weight being low and in the right place. With the rear spring treatment they added you only feel the weight of the camper on long grades, other than that it's like driving a reg. cab truck with a shell.

dc, sparky Thanks for the feedback and info. I've been tent camping for so long, and this has turned into a much more difficult decision than I expected. There are so many overlapping issues when you toss in the whole truck wheelbase/storage/off road/full time/part time/ etc etc etc into consideration. This forum, with so many experienced posters, has been great.

Happyjax said:
Sparky, when are you going to Assateague? Would love to see your camper :)
I will arrive Saturday the 15th of August and leave the 22nd.

I ve been checking the Alaskan campers out also. I retire in two years and would like to travel around the country. Ilive in Fla. so i ve been thking about ther truck purchase program were they can get it for 200 hundred dollars over cost. still a lot of research to do.

Well Dcsparky (Dave) and his lovely wife Nancy let me meet them to check out their 8 Ft. Alaskan camper today:) They spent a couple hours showing off their fine camper and all of the really cool mods. It was so nice of them and I really appreciated it. I plan on stealing some of his great mods.......lol

I thought the camper was well built and the seats were very comfortable. It seemed to have lots of storage and felt very open. Dave raved on it and I can see why.

I will be calling Bryan after I get my truck to talk about some things I would want. It could be in my future:)
I think it would suit my needs a little better than some of the other fine campers out there.....
Thanks Dave and Nancy!

Having owned a 10ft OC one for several yrs on an F-250 with no problems I loved it. Then bought a Dodge, it
wouldn't fit! So beware, an older unit won't fit a GM or Dodge,(without cutting down & rebuilding the side of the camper). Also if used alot in the rainy area's they do rot, (overcab models tend to wick water into the front panels going down the hwy in heavy rains) & rot the front, also on the sides with wheel spray over the yrs.
If I was going to order a new one I would pay the extra bucks to have all the wood frames treated with an epoxy such as West System to extend the life!
After looking at the Hallmark 8.5 ft popup they build there cassette bath with a shower, looks great. I wish Alaskan would somehow update there design.
Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't own a 5/8 ton pickup to car like IMO. Go for the heavier 3/4 ton minimum to get the heavier suspension components! I could go on & on about my brother in laws F-150 8ft box with all the heavy GVW pkgs, he hauled an 8ft S &S for a short time & his transfer case went out at about 35k (along with a shot front end) & Ford would not warranty it because he had packed a camper! What a bunch of &^*, he ended up trading it on an F-350.

the old Alaskan campers wont fit on the newer Fords either....finished modifying a 10'NCO in 2005 and I'm just about to start mods on a 73' CO to fit in my 2003 F-250...

had the 10' NCO in an 81' F-250, 85' F-250 and then had to cut 2.5" off to fit the 2003 F-250....worth every saw cut... ;)

Doing it again...I'd get the 350SW as well

Hearing about the rot potential is a bit disconcerting.... That is something that no one ever really talks about. I never heard about the treated wood though I always wondered why everyone using wood as a structural material in any camper would not treat it with something.... Glad it is an option. I am guessing the wheel spray is an issue on campers that hang over and not ones that fit in the bed. Good to know though! Thanks for all the info!

Heavily treated wood can weigh double untreated wood, produce chemical odors, and cost up to four times as much as untreated. Lightly treated wood can still produce chemical odors but the treatment only lasts 1-3 years.

keep in mind that West system epoxy treating is a polyester resin and not a "wood preservative" or "pressure treatment"

Don't ever consider a "pressure treated" wood for use in a camper....the fumes are noxious ...and they don't go away

I didn't know Alaskabn offered a west system treatment...? (soaking in resin)

moisture intrusion is an issue no matter which camper you purchase...some with Aluminum frames have less to worry about but all organic pieces will get moist and drying out asap is always advisable. When you consider the closed space and cooking....batta bing

All manufacturers do their best to create sealed units...it's always up to the owner to maintain those seals and caulk lines...

Alaskan has had the benefit of over 50 years of practical experience....and with new materials available, things are quite a bit better on the new units...but it's still up to you to keep up the maintenance.

Talk to Brian....they're considerate and will tell you the skinny....straightaway

Sorry for misleading anyone regarding an "West System Option" with Alaska Campers. I'm sure they don't offer it, but May be willing to delay assembly of the camper to "coat" the wood framing at least in the front & sides where there vulnerable to water for an added cost! I used it extensively on an old Lance where it rotted on the lower sides. Some may say that it makes the wood brittle & won't flex, but it really strenghthens the wood & keeps water from penetrating. After it drys there's no fumes whats so ever.
We used it extensively on old wooden boats, (they flex out on the water, with no issues)
My Alaskan was built in the 70's & was always stored indoors but had rot on the front panel & the outter shell on the bottom, again from wheel spray over the yrs. Once they get wet its hard to dry them out.

I'll be starting a revival of a 73 CO soon and West System Epoxy will be in it's frame repairs....

Treated like upside down wooden boats....batta bing

Back
Top Bottom