Looking for a true 1/2 ton camper.

benbrookjohn

Good day,
I've searched numerous models and have had no luck finding a true 1/2 ton truck camper that doesn't require mods to truck.

The Four Wheel Campers look promising, but I'm seeking knowledge from actual owners.

Thanks for sharing with a hopeful future camper.

John

Sounds like you may be in the market for a shell from either Four Wheel Campers or All Terrain Campers. Both high quality.

John, I’ll also endorse the shells from ATC and FWC. However, I would recommend one truck mod, and that would be to add airbags. They help level out the truck, both front to rear, and side to side.

If I were to buy another pop up, it would be a shell with furnace, and very few other options. I’d probably go with an ATC, because of their willingness to do custom work, and their great customer focus.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
John, I’ll also endorse the shells from ATC and FWC. However, I would recommend one truck mod, and that would be to add airbags. They help level out the truck, both front to rear, and side to side.

If I were to buy another pop up, it would be a shell with furnace, and very few other options. I’d probably go with an ATC, because of their willingness to do custom work, and their great customer focus.
So, WS, i am going the atc shell route, adding a propex furnace, and a 12v fridge, oh, and a 360 shadow awning. trying to keep it as light as possible - would u still think my gmc 1500 would need airbags??
thx

Go, yes I do think you will need them. You can get by without, but you won’t like oncoming traffic flashing brights at you. The air bags level the truck.

John welcome to the cult.
On the truck mods make sure you at least have LT truck tires "C" rating or better.
Air bags are a definite.
My first truck with the Bobcat was Ford Ranger.I went with supersprings on the rear,
but when I mover the Bobcat to a 2002 Tundra I went with air bags.
I really like the idea of adjusting the pressure side to side.Levels out great.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
John welcome to the cult.
On the truck mods make sure you at least have LT truck tires "C" rating or better.
Air bags are a definite.
My first truck with the Bobcat was Ford Ranger.I went with supersprings on the rear,
but when I mover the Bobcat to a 2002 Tundra I went with air bags.
I really like the idea of adjusting the pressure side to side.Levels out great.
Frank
so, how do you re-pressure your bags??

goinoregon said:
Mine are 'plumbed' separately. Each has its' own valve just like a tire valve. You just give it a little shot from your air compressor.

goinoregon said:
I carry a super small bicycle pump, one designed to be attached to your bike for on the road repairs. Only needs a few pumps to change the pressures of the bags.

I have an ATC Ocelot shell (72"wide) on a Silverado 1/2 ton. Only options I got on it were the furnace and awning so it,s fairly light weight. On the truck I have added E rated tires and Timbrens. I have recently traded trucks and I am going to give the air bags a try on the new truck. Thats if I get the camper put on next spring,this covid thing sure threw a wrench into a lot of plans this year eh.

I have a Raven Shell with a heater on a Silverado 1500. It has a Hellwig leaf on each side and doesn't squat at all.

What model of truck, ext cab, crew cab, long or short bed? Makes a huge difference on available payload for the camper. I have a 16 Sierra reg cab 1500 with long bed and didn't have to do anything to it to carry a fwc grandby shell...i did add e rated tires..

Back
Top Bottom