Looking for ideas on keeping the top up

calfj60

Howdy, I’m in the process of building a1985 Grandby into my dream camper. Has anyone used outside struts and nothing in the inside to keep the top up? Would love to not have the lifting boards or in my case the emt tubing mess. Thanks

Howdy

As complex or cumbersome as the original lifting concept is, it remains a durable and easy system.

Search thru WTW and you will find several threads about rebuilding the lift boards in your camper.

Good luck with it.

David Graves

Thanks but I do not have the original lifting boards. They were replaced with the emt. When that is folded down and the roof is down I might be able to get a piece of paper under it in the front. That’s why I’m looking for other ways to keep the roof up without them.

What model FWC camper is it ?

Should be a model name on the rear sides or an ID plate to right of the door,

DavidGraves said:
What model FWC camper is it ?

Should be a model name on the rear sides or an ID plate to right of the door,
In post #1 above

"Howdy, I’m in the process of building a1985 Grandby into my dream camper."

calfj60 said:
Thanks but I do not have the original lifting boards. They were replaced with the emt. When that is folded down and the roof is down I might be able to get a piece of paper under it in the front. That’s why I’m looking for other ways to keep the roof up without them.
I'm not clear on what you want to do here. The reference to a pieced of paper is confusing me. You already have the EMT lifters in place. Don't they hold the roof up fine? Without the EMT or original lifter boards, keeping the roof up would require a few pieces of 2x4 cut to the right length. Not terribly good in a wind though.

I have the emt lift mechanism currently. When I close the top. The emt basically sits on the bed portion over the cab. So I can’t keep anything up there when all packed up. By getting rid of the emt I was hoping to open up some space for the bed boards etc. I know the mattress I bought will never fit with the top closed.

Interesting concept, here is a video from Softroading the West that reviews various cab over canopies. The first is the Topo that does exactly what you’re considering. My only concern is being able to lock it up to avoid a snowy night surprise.

edit: I just noticed they use FWC style boards to lock it in place.

Back
Top Bottom