lost coast information

john101477

Contributors
Hey I am hoping to get to lost coast soon and would like as much info as possible on the area. Thanks

The Lost Coast is a beautiful area. The few times we've been down there we came in from the North out of Oregon. South out of Eureka, turn off onto 211 at Fernbridge and continue through Ferndale, nice old town. From there, continue along Mattole Road which takes you to Cape Medocino where a great road skirts the beach for 7 or so miles before heading inland again. A bit past Petrolia (check out the general store) watch for Mattole Road, which follows the river down to a nice primitive campground down on the beach near the mouth of the River. After leaving Mattole, continue south past Honeydew and pick up Horse Mtn Ridge road. There are 2 campgrounds located in the trees high on the ridge. (I've seen rattlsnakes up there) Continuing on, the road turns into Kings Peak Road. After many miles of winding down, it will eventually intersect with the road going down to Shelter Cove, a great, remote small town down on the water. When you've finished with Shelter Cove, climb back up Shelter Cove Road past Kings Peak road on your left and take a right on Chemise Mtn Road. Head south to a point near Four Corners where you can pick up a narrow dirt/grave road that will drop you down to the north end of Sinkyone Wilderness State Park. Saw a large herd of elk lying next to the road last time we were there. The road dead ends at a ranger station on a grassy bluff several hundred feet above the Ocean. A spectacular setting. Unfortunately, they don't allow car camping in there. They do, however, allow dispersed tent camping. Also, there is a large wood camp shelter overlooking the ocean where they allow hikers to put there pads & bags down. We didn't do that, but one might be able to park the truck in the parking area and spend the night in the shelter. Check with the ranger regarding rules. Lots of good hiking to be had. The only way out is to back track back the way you came in to the road near Four Corners. You may want to check with the ranger to see if the road from the Four Corners area is open and clear south to Ursal. When we were down there it was closed for some reason. If open, it will take eventually take you down to Coastal Hwy 1. I recall that the only services once into the Lost Coast were at Shelter Cove. I don't think Petrolia had gas, but I may be wrong. Of course, that area is also close to the Redwoods, which is another good option in the vicinity. My wife and I have been through there 3 times, once in the summer and twice between Christmas and New Years. Both of the times in the winter, we had good weather.

Good Luck, safe driving and have great time,

TGK

TGK that was a good rundown!

search for USAL and MATTOLE and you ill see some trip reports.

some of the items mentioned are really worth seeing for yourself.

"....Cape Medocino where a great road skirts the beach for 7 or so miles before heading inland again" this is very picturesque....wish it went on and on.

Some info can be found here:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/areas?area=73

The drive from Ferndale to Petrolia is pretty neat. You'll find the worlds luckiest cows chillin on the beach.

there is gas in petrolia..not sure on diesel..

Don't let your pets loose with Elk around!

Road from Shelter cove to Usal Bch can be challenging

Have a great trip! and don't forget to take some snaps! photos that is :rolleyes:

There is another camp ground in the Petrolia area. Its a county camp ground with sites on the Mattole river some shade nice last i was there about 8 years ago.Fishing could be good but check with the DFG regs,as this is a steelhead stream.

Have fun

Frank

There is another camp ground in the Petrolia area. Its a county camp ground with sites on the Mattole river some shade nice last i was there about 8 years ago.Fishing could be good but check with the DFG regs,as this is a steelhead stream.

Have fun

Frank

I'm gettin" pretty old but I can still remember that there has been no Salmon or Steelhead fishing in the Mattole River for at least the last 12yrs. no catch and release, no fishing period, you will be lucky to find water in the river this time of year much less a Salmon or Steelhead. At this time there is minimal flow in the river if any, I know because it flows through my back yard, no fishing, but right now some pretty good swimming, we just got out, and it's very hot here right now 97 today.

I'm gettin" pretty old but I can still remember that there has been no Salmon or Steelhead fishing in the Mattole River for at least the last 12yrs. no catch and release, no fishing period, you will be lucky to find water in the river this time of year much less a Salmon or Steelhead. At this time there is minimal flow in the river if any, I know because it flows through my back yard, no fishing, but right now some pretty good swimming, we just got out, and it's very hot here right now 97 today.

How far inland are you roughly? I am not planning to even bring my pole so no fishin for me. That's crazy that it is that hot. I hope it cools off soon lol.

Have fun

Frank

Yeah that is a pretty nice park with river access. I'll post some pics when I get back from my next trip.

yeah we leave tomorrow. I just bought a pretty slick map setup that shows a lot of the roads there. We are going to map out the trip while we go and rate the camp spots we stay at.
I find it funny that locations like the mattole campground and many like it (BLM) are 5-8 bucks a night where as the state park camp grounds (needle rock and sinkyone) are $25 a night. We look to have a lot of fun on this trip.
We had planned to stay thursday till sunday but have since decided that we will come home when we run out of food. lol I bought extra today and the wife is buys some to lol.

well if any of you guys are in the area and see me drivin the red runner flash your lights a few times. have a great weekend folks

Back
Top Bottom