Low Cost Mods

5 years and 319 replies, this IS a great topic. Here's one of mine. I have the velcro pile in my FWC. I made several of these bags to get stuff off the countertop.

Small9.jpg

Not really a mod, more of a tool....an old folding WWII era Army shovel with canvas cover will fit in the truck almost anyplace. Good for burying smoldering ashes, digging a hole to bury waste products or getting you out of a jam in soft dirt or snow.

side awning.jpg
This is my go at a cheap side awning. I used ETAV8R's tips and suggested hardware (+/-) for the set-up. I added two gromets to the tarp to get close to the right span.

The poles are from Amazon, and were also suggested on this thread.

The guy-line is reflective paracord, and I'd highly recommend it.

With two guy lines on each of the ground-based poles, and some rubber grommets over the tarp on the truck-based poles, this little awning held up very well in decent afternoon breezes.

yovik said:
attachicon.gif
side awning.jpg
This is my go at a cheap side awning. I used ETAV8R's tips and suggested hardware (+/-) for the set-up. I added two gromets to the tarp to get close to the right span.

The poles are from Amazon, and were also suggested on this thread.

The guy-line is reflective paracord, and I'd highly recommend it.

With two guy lines on each of the ground-based poles, and some rubber grommets over the tarp on the truck-based poles, this little awning held up very well in decent afternoon breezes.
Looks like a nice basecamp! I used something similar to save the BBQ zone on a wet Medocino camp out.
I also have a spool of the reflective paracord and it's perfect for clothes lines and guy lines.

Inexpensive but having face planted tripping on guy lines I have developed an aversion to them.

The power of the sun.........................................

The Lady loves this simple solar powered luci light.

gallery_1902_252_65482.jpg

she keeps it tucked in the window for charging. It provides enough light for evening camper chores, reading, and scramble games at the table. Red lights are also available to save your night vision.

ski3pin said:

she keeps it tucked in the window for charging. It provides enough light for evening camper chores, reading, and scramble games at the table. Red lights are also available to save your night vision.
Very cool. I have one, too, and use mine in just the same way. I keep mine on the dashboard of the truck. I've given a few as gifts -- spreading the light! :D

Nice light. I have one with opaque sides and it throws out a nice diffused light. Forgot it last weekend because it was in the house during a power outage and I didn't have it on my camper gear check list (Now it's on the gear check list).

ski3pin said:

gallery_1902_252_65482.jpg

I have some friends who do mission type work in the south Pacific. These lights are included in each run and given to the native people. Truly amazing that in this day and age that an invention such as this brings so much joy to people who are off the grid for all intents and purposes.

ski3pin said:

Which seems to work the best, clear or frosted?

Also have 3 of the clear, they work great. They do need strong sunlight to recharge, Used them at Halloween for some subtle pathway lighting and with the low sun and clouds up here, couldn't get them to recharge till we finally got some clear skies

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom