Maintenance On Our ATC Camper

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Our maiden voyage in the new camper was Winter Break 2013 between xmas and New Years. Since then we have spent 116 nights in the ATC. These were travels to wonderful places, many far from the beaten track. We have traveled many rough roads and believe we have put our rig and camper to a good test, although we would never consider our adventures "tests."

On our last long trip to Death Valley National Park we noticed the plywood on our floor pack was looking a little dry, probably more in response to new plywood drying out, especially considering the many arid places we have visited. Also, if you remember our build thread, it was the Lady that painted our floor pack the first time (she did a very good job).

We picked up some Glidden Paint (as recommended by ATC) at a Home Depot in Carson City as we were driving by. Back home we unloaded the camper and gave the plywood two new coats of paint.

gallery_1902_710_15910.jpg

Along with checking staples and joints, we also inspected the eye bolts for the turnbuckles and found everything in perfect shape. We have had only a couple of minor issues, all that I would think of completely normal considering the number of trips we have taken and the roads traveled. The spring in the screen door latch vibrated loose as did one 8x32 machine screw that holds the latch plate on the door. Two of my screws into an L bracket that holds a cabinet to the floor came loose. Marty at ATC put a new latch on the screen door for us. I installed a new screw to the door latch from my supply here. I tightened up the two screws with the L bracket after adding a dap of epoxy to the threads. Most epoxies are heat sensitive so a little heat from a soldering gun will loosen them if needed. We also had a ground connection for the propane/CO monitor loosen up that was easily fixed.

We loaded the camper back on the truck yesterday afternoon and are ready for the next adventure. We take care of our equipment but we also use it extensively. After a little more than a year our ATC camper looks new and is great shape. We couldn't be more pleased.

Checking screws and 303 Protectant, is about all the maintenance I have done. Next time I have the camper off the truck I will take a look at the pain on the floor pack.

Spring routine: a good washing, 303 on the vinyl and refresh the floor pack paint. That's about all the maintenance we've had to do... ATC builds good campers.

Confidence inspiring to read your post ski3pin.

I don't even have paint on the bottom of the camper, it looks more like a spray on bed liner type material to me. I guess that it won't need any attention so it looks like just cleaning it up after each trip and some 303 treatment after it's first year of use.

Everything about ATC seems to be drama free including taking care of it.

MANXMAN said:
Confidence inspiring to read your post ski3pin.

I don't even have paint on the bottom of the camper, it looks more like a spray on bed liner type material to me. I guess that it won't need any attention so it looks like just cleaning it up after each trip and some 303 treatment after it's first year of use.

Everything about ATC seems to be drama free including taking care of it.
Manxman, Your camper being a flatbed has no paint on the bottom. We feel that the Flatbed trays do not have the same drainage that a standard truck bed has so we put a bed liner on it to make sure it can sit in water on your tray and not have problems in a couple of years. Marty

Thanks Marty.

The bed liner makes sense for a flat deck. I'll apply silicone sealant to the 4 mounting holes to keep moisture out when I reinstall the camper in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom