Managing your solar power--"shaded areas"

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member
On our recent 3-night, lakeside, camping trip @ a sunny 80 to 85 high/65 lows , our spot was primarily “in the shade”(only 1 available) as is the case in many mountain campgrounds. First time our 160W Zamp roof panel was reacting to “shady” camping spot… by the 3rd day, our Zamp Controller was showing max @ 12.6v and early morning @ 12.0… previously our solar only camping locations had at least 4 hours of direct sunlight that easily restored the charge back to 13.4v by 1 pm.

Our rig is a 2016 Fleet with factory installed solar components: 160w Zamp roof solar panel and Controller, IOTA IQ Smart Converter, and 2 x 6v AGM Full River DC-226 batteries. We try to limit our appliance use to: our Isotherm CR65 fridge (electric only) setting @ “2”/low(biggest draw) and our Fantastic Fan @10-20% in the evenings, our LED lights for bedtime activity. And unlike some of you in recent posts, these components appear to be working properly and serve our needs –for now.

We were starting from scratch with our electrical/solar knowledge prior to purchase. I have read and tried to absorb as much as my “limited” brain can absorb. From the recent posts about ”Battery” and “Fridge & Voltage Drop” I pored over posts and slowly increased my knowledge—but hard when I haven’t installed, been an engineer, or w/ minimum electrical/solar knowledge/experience. As was mentioned, there are indeed some “limitations” to our current factory components—where some are upgrading their controllers and solar panels including even 4W factory components (recent Camper World article—did NOT realize our 160w Zamp solar panel will not collect with “partial sun”—it is either “on” or “off” vs their newest and current multi-zoned Overland solar panel—works in partial shade ).

That said, other than possibly adding a portable solar collector, our current system is “good to go” for now. I would welcome some options to maximize the use of our current solar system. (1) Shady campsite options? Start your truck for 1 hour every other day? Take an hour drive every other day to visit another lake or to town? Others? (2) With so many “variations” seen in these posts, what are reliable High/Low charge guidelines for (a) High float level charge--13.4v(our current float level); (b) how LOW do you allow your charge to get to “maximize” your battery life? Some say 50%, some say 60%...often with an AGM battery I see 12.0v as a bottom line(will be calling a local Fall River Battery distributor for their Min/Max guidelines)…

Look forward to your comments, suggestions, findings from others who have camped with a similar solar systems... your monitoring levels? your shade spot options?…thanks!

Your FullRiver battery specs are here - http://www.fullriverbattery.com/product/batteries/DC220-6

They want 14.7V in bulk and absorb, and 13.6V in float. So that is what they should get. If your current controller can't do that, your batteries will not give you the best they are designed for.

Rando advocates for using his batteries "hard", aiming for only 20% charge remaining. That should get him 500 charging cycles. I usually advocate for 50%, giving 1500+ cycles. Even 500 cycles is a lot of camping... 10 years at 50 nights of camping/year. By then other factors may cause the batteries to fail. So, Rando's thinking makes sense.

Shady campsite options:
1) Get some portable panels and hook them up. I have 200w with 100' of wire, and a second Victron controller for that. Haven't needed it yet.
2) Drive... this only works if you have optimized the charging capacity of your alternator to camper connection. See the More Power Scotty thread for waaay to much detail on this question. Plus, if you are driving a Toyota they are known to have lower alternator voltage outputs, and that makes it very hard to get good charging of the camper batteries while driving.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13230-i-need-more-power-scotty/

As always, Vic has some great insight and knowledge. We are in about the same boat as you Brad. I am finding two days in the shade and my two 12V AGM batteries are at around 12.4 on the 3rd morning. We power a ARB fridge and a fantastic fan. Our float is set at 13.8v from two 100 watt Renogy's. Our controller is an Overland Solar. I would really like to see how long I could go in the shade before hitting 50% on the batteries. We are considering adding a IOTA DLS-30 IQ4 and a small quiet generator for those extended camping trips where most of the day is in the shade. With our Regular cab truck, I am just so limited on space for carrying a generator. I will check out Scotty's write up.

I camp a lot under heavy forest canopy (Northern Minnesota). I carry a small 1000W inverter/generator and a 35A battery charger for those times. I can go three days to 60% with normal usage, so after two days I will run the generator for about an hour in the AM and let solar finish the absorption phase. This usually gets me back to 100% by the end of the day.

jim

I have a 2017 Hawk. As I got it from the factory, and it sounds about like it is set up about like the OP's (scapoosebrad). I have a similar experience to his (battery discharge), except that I don't camp under shady trees. There are rarely any trees where I camp. They call it "Nevada" but where I camp it looks more like those Mars Rover photos beamed back to earth on occasion. I'm a Geologist, so maybe that explains why I camp where I do. Anyway, like I said, trees are not the issue for me. For me its the clouds (sometimes snow) while camping in the Fall. Anyway to boost my battery (two AGM's) charge, my quick resolution is to use a small Honda generator in the evening. Its very quiet, and there is no one but me out there to be bothered by the gentle purring sound of the Honda. And the tunes coming from my satellite radio seem to block THAT sound out.
Extra solar panels are planned for the future.
Happy Trails,
Geologyjohn

Thanks folks for your feedback... one update--I talked to a local rep who sells the 2x6V Fullriver AGM batts we run...he confirmed trying not to go below 12.2v (50%) for maintaining battery longevity... .also our p/u is 93 Nissan V-6...can't tell you anything about it alternator output or strength...does seem to recharge well after an hour or so of running...but never monitored it closely...

and yes, our next step may be to shop for a portable panel...any suggestions on brands, weight, size to consider? one member mentioned a 100w portable @ only 3#s...

I have a flexible solar panel mounted to the roof of my Fleet. This panel is very lightweight. The panel itself may weigh as much as 3 pounds. It doesn't roll up, just has a flexibility to it and is very thin, maybe 1/8"? I have considered buying a second panel for situations like this thread describes. I'd probably just store it behind the couch in the camper and then bring it out when needed.

The flexible panel works great and I would recommend it.

Here is a link the the panel that I purchased: https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-flexible-bendable-120-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-3/

Todgru

I have a portable 100W hard zamp panel as well as a generator. I have found the generator to be the best solution up here in Alberta (plenty of shaded campsites). I have not bothered too much with the portable solar panel.

I have a 160 on the roof.... and a 90 panel with a 20 ft cord plugs into driver's side wall DC. one can use the tripod (removed from the speaker stand roof lifter for a lightweight tripod to mount ....or just a stick to prop it up at an angle

buckland said:
I have a 160 on the roof.... and a 90 panel with a 20 ft cord plugs into driver's side wall DC. one can use the tripod (removed from the speaker stand roof lifter for a lightweight tripod to mount ....or just a stick to prop it up at an angle
I found my folding aluminum camp table & a cooler works great to hold the flexible panel. Turn the table to make the shadows from the front legs fall on the shadows from the rear legs & adjust cooler so that the sun falls perpendicular to the panel to maximize solar collection.

Paul

gallery_5568_852_1590901.jpg

OMG...what brand/power of your solar panel? wow, looks pretty small...how does it perform?

Brad

p.s. nice ad hoc portable stand set up...

It is a 100 watt Renogy flexible panel. Makes a huge difference early in morning or late in day.

Are you near Multnomah Channel? I'm in Helvetia area just over the hill. (Of course, my wife says I've been over the hill for some time. ;)

Paul

Hi Paul...thanks for the update on your panel...yup, we live "on the Channel" at Casselman's Moorage--just over the hill--howdy neighbor!...must be close to Helvetia Tavern?

At the moorage, our 93 Nissan w/ Fleet parked f/t in our parking lot...have a '16 Fleet but used about 10 times--just getting "broken in"... looking at camping often next to lakes w/ spots usually shaded (avid lake fly fishers)... our last trip had almost full shade all day--minimal recharge each day just running our fridge and fan(evening) both on low settings...am researching a portable panel to augment our 160w roof panel...would accommodate future shady site locations to camp...

for its small size, looks like it packs a pretty good wallop at 100w--any further comments?...where did you get your Renogy panel? cord length? cost? how does it stow for you? looks like it might be a good match for our needs...

gallery_5568_885_1037882.jpg

Full on view of panel when I was checking my test wiring approach. Have carried panel inside cab or under sleeping bag in camper while travelling. I have a 15 foot extension to the panel from the socket on back of camper. Can easily use additional extenders if needed but now I have 260 watts flat mounted on roof. This extends the morning and evening hours where useful charging can be gathered, especially in winter when the flat mounted panels don't start producing until much later in the morning.

I can see the Helvetia Tavern from my house.
Paul

thanks Paul... do you have website of the vendor? and your estimated cost?

Nice looking rig... great setting a few blocks fr. "the Tavern"...

Brad

Mine is one of the early Renogy units. Many of those that were glued to the roof failed. Renogy stood by their product & replaced bad ones.
The ones they sell now are the new design plus they also sell a 160 watt flexible panel. There are a number of other flexible panel manufacturers, also. Some of them are much cheaper and worth a look.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-160-watt-12-volt-flexible-monocrystalline-solar-panel/
https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-flexible-bendable-120-watt-12-volt-solar-panel-3/

Paul

We have almost the same FWC Fleet set up as the OP and I've been pretty impressed with its performance here in SW Colorado. On most trips we have at least 4-5 hours of direct sun on the 160 watt roof panel which seems enough to keep the Zamp controller voltage readings well above 12.2 even after a night with the heater running off and on. However, after a recent three night trip with clouds and rain on just one day, I can see a couple of cloudy days results in a big drop in that performance. I'm learning a lot from these posts and am considering installing a battery monitor as many have recommended. Not sure about the additional solar panel option since storage space is already maxed out.

Back
Top Bottom