Marker lights

shellback

I've noticed the newer 4 Wheel campers have marker lights on the upper body. My 79 Grandby has none. For any of you who have rebuilt older 4 Wheel campers, did you install marker lights, and if so, why. I think they would be an asset for visibility, but the less penetrations in the skin seems more important to me.

I don't think marker lights do much, but they certainly don't hurt. FWC is probably required to put them on the larger campers. My Fleet didn't have them. It is wider than the truck (Tacoma), so I put some reflective tape on the jack brackets, the widest point.

I did add a high stop light, which I think is important. It's just a strip of LED's above the door. Pretty easy to install but the wiring is something of a big deal because you have to tie into the truck wiring and install a connector. If you are going to do all that, for either circuit, you might as well do both. A 3-pin (or 4-pin) connector is no harder than a 2-pin. With this philosophy in mind, I also brought out the backup light circuit and connected it to the rear floodlight on the camper, through a switch.

I haven't gotten around to the marker lights yet.

- Bernard

The high brake light is a good idea, as the camper blocks the factory light in a pick up. Pick up camper caps come with one installed. I plan a 7 pin trailer connection to my camper just for battery charging while on the road. So the brake light might go on. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from 2 different factory built campers that had leaks. The less penetrations, the better chances of no leaks.

Vic, I didn't document the stop light / flood light part of my wiring upgrade. It was an extensive project - almost total re-wiring - involving moving the batteries, installing a CTEK charge controller (elliminating the battery iolator) adding power outlets, more fuses, switches, etc. The stop and flood light circuits were a small part of it.

I have been taking pictures of all my mods and hope to make them available on a blog or website someday. Just need to figure out how to do it. And find the time...

- Bernard

Back
Top Bottom