mattress condensation

griz

Purchased the Neptune Slat Sytem and after a few nights on it, it works. Bottom side of mattress, total dry. Very happy.
Now the negative, with the 4" foam and the slat system were talking 6", and the roof will not come all the way down. Re and re the 4" foam for a 2" and just not enough padding for this old guy.
So I now have to roll the slats up and leave them on the floor when not in use. Pain in the ass, but the condensation has been solved. Any hoot thought i would pass it on. Still wish they made a 6" roof.

griz said:
Purchased the Neptune Slat Sytem and after a few nights on it, it works. Bottom side of mattress, total dry. Very happy.
Now the negative, with the 4" foam and the slat system were talking 6", and the roof will not come all the way down. Re and re the 4" foam for a 2" and just not enough padding for this old guy.
So I now have to roll the slats up and leave them on the floor when not in use. Pain in the ass, but the condensation has been solved. Any hoot thought i would pass it on. Still wish they made a 6" roof.
Could you post a web site for the Neptune Slat System? I googled it and got nothing but Neptune electronics. Thanks.

yes that is the item. purchased from a marine store. i work on the water so i was able to get feed back from others.
anything that keeps the foamy up to allow air movement will work.

"now that's the ticket for dolly" the low profile is a winner for sure. might have to look into this. the re and re of either the slats or foamy is a pain in the a..

at 1/2" thickness that might just be enough for circulation alright. had a look at the dry dex and at 1/4" thought it was not thick enough.

So forgive my thinking out loud but:

The size needed (in order to not have to overlap thicknesses of the slats/mesh when bed is closed would be the exact size of the bed when closed)? And to lessen height interference when folding down the roof?

Then when sliding out the bed you just pull it out and rearrange so the mesh/slats are over the cab over part of the bed?

Has anyone done it this way and when sleeping can you feel the 1/2" height difference in the center of the 2" mattress with bed pulled out?

I am going to be leaving for AK in a week for the summer and this may be the ticket to heading off condensation problems in that moist environment for an extended period of time. Haven't had condensation problems in the past but have not used the camper for extended periods in such a cool moist environment as I expect in AK.

And, doing it as I described compared to using pink or blue board 1/2" insulation? Is the conventional wisdom that circulation of air with slats/mesh will work equal or better to insulating?

Thoughts? Thank you!!

Fred

fred, you lost me a bit. my max. thickness of a foamy is 4" any more and i am unable to lower and lock roof down.
so option one is when hitting the road, remove slats and place some where else, this was easier than moving the foam.
two i tried out a 2" foamy which allowed me not to move anything, ok for a nite or two but this old guy needs a little more padding.
as for the dampness under my 4" foamy, body heat/ outside air temp, problem 100% solved.
i should mention that my solution before was to put a couple of pieces of firewood under the foamy during the day and that worked.
however if u hit the road when u got up, your traveling with a damp foamy.
i have also tried the blue/pink board and it did not work,1" stuff i believe it was, it may have if it was about 6-8" thick.
griz

Sorry griz, my most important questions are "has anyone used the DryMesh system in humid environments and does it work? And can the roof be lowered keeping one layer of DryMesh in place."

I was up early and not the most direct in my message.

The most important things to me are: 1) having something that works without daily upkeep/drying out, or wiping off. I am seldom in a situation where I can dry out before leaving in the morning and would rather not have to dry off if possible.

2) having something that works without needing to remove for roof lowering. I sometimes overnight without raising the roof and space to store slats or anything removed from the bed area becomes a problem.

3) I have a 2" factory foamy and when pushed in the thickness is 4". I think I can accommodate 1/2" of additional thickness and still lower the roof. I am guessing though. This leads me to the DryMesh if 1/2" of space will do the job.

griz, if your Neptune system worked at least the concept of ventilating vs. insulating works. Again if the thinner DryMesh will work adequately vs. the thicker Neptune I am unsure of. I will probably start a new thread looking for others who have used DryMesh to find others experiences with it. I appreciate your information and willingness to follow up after my first "not so clear" reply!

Fred

Fred we are in the same boat. what u said is what i am looking to solve. leaving something in place all the time with no moisture.
if we buy a different camper problem solved, but thats not going to happen, here at least.
also i believe they use this mesh stuff in construction. think i heard home depot, but not sure..

Fred, this is getting crazy. Just thought of something else, run it by ya. I know up here in sept/oct/nov, hunting season that some guys with travel trailers skirt in around the bottom of trailer, ie plywood, tarp, canvas. Helps to keep the draft down and adds some warmth etc. maybe hanging a heavy canvas aroung the outside of the bottom overhang might help. Like i said crazy, but would be great to come up a solution. I have said before to bad the space was 6" and not 4", but then we would bitch about something else.
good luck and let me know your solution if any.......................
and have a great trip

30 days in the camper and NO condensation under mattress with the Neptune slatsytem. 100% happy.
Also added a little more comfort as well, the old hips did not act up this trip.

Awesome. Nothing like a real world experience. Not a problem i have but i'll file the info away in case it comes in handy some day.

I added a denim quilt over the top of my mattress and I don't get any condensation under the mattress.

Back
Top Bottom