MAXTRAX on roof rack

gaylon

Used Axia Alloy tube mounts and Maxtrax locking pins.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 548
looks good, you just have to get up there to get them. Picture angle I can't see if you have overlap that will be shading the solar panel?

Doesn’t appear to block the panel, I went out at first light this morning, with the sun coming from the rear, and the panel was charging. Getting to them isn’t easy, but certainly is possible. As for lifting the roof, I use a t-handled wood cane as a lifting tool and it is easy.

Thought about buying 2 Maxtrax MKII....not starting a 2 vs 4 discussion at all...

but if I do I hope to either put them behind the trk seat [easy to access, no 15 extra lbs on roof to lift] or mount them directly to the FWC YakRak rails..need to not increase the height of our Hawk above the solar panel; we only have 3/4" clearance entering the our shop where we store the Tundra/Hawk..

Not cheap $329.99 for two on Amazon.

But like our winch; you don't need them until you do!

Phil

Wallowa said:
Thought about buying 2 Maxtrax MKII....not starting a 2 vs 4 discussion at all...

but if I do I hope to either put them behind the trk seat [easy to access, no 15 extra lbs on roof to lift] or mount them directly to the FWC YakRak rails..need to not increase the height of our Hawk above the solar panel; we only have 3/4" clearance entering the our shop where we store the Tundra/Hawk..

Not cheap $329.99 for two on Amazon.

But like our winch; you don't need them until you do!

Phil
Hi Phil, we had no space in the truck, although I did consider mounting them to the camper over the center rear window, right behind the cabin. I didn't see a way to rail mount them. The weight on the roof isn't bad, but I have no illusions about parking garages or other covered storage :) For us, mostly solo vehicle desert camping, these made more sense than a winch, there is rarely anything to winch to and a sand anchor is a lot of cost and weight.

gaylon said:
Hi Phil, we had no space in the truck, although I did consider mounting them to the camper over the center rear window, right behind the cabin. I didn't see a way to rail mount them. The weight on the roof isn't bad, but I have no illusions about parking garages or other covered storage :) For us, mostly solo vehicle desert camping, these made more sense than a winch, there is rarely anything to winch to and a sand anchor is a lot of cost and weight.

Makes sense....and I have a thing for not attaching anything that requires drilling into my Hawk or adding weight outboard...want it buttoned up tight!

Our Access cab with back seats removed has given us a lot of room inside...but that just adds up to more stuff and weight... :D

4 tracks in the desert is a no-brainer...and we also solo in BFE....cool, have fun.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Makes sense....and I have a thing for not attaching anything that requires drilling into my Hawk or adding weight outboard...want it buttoned up tight!

Our Access cab with back seats removed has given us a lot of room inside...but that just adds up to more stuff and weight... :D

4 tracks in the desert is a no-brainer...and we also solo in BFE....cool, have fun.

Phil
Thanks! Our two 75# dogs take up most of the back seat area.

Used to carry on the back then I thought I'd put on roof. Works fine and I like them not be to visible to "opportunistic takers" .
I used L and flat aluminum stock from hardware store attached to the Yakima tracks. They sit below the bars so don't interfere with canoe on top. I have 30 lb lift struts. The extra weight is noticeable but not bad. (I think I will go to 40 lb)

Attachments

• IMG_6620.jpg
    IMG_6620.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 644
Hey buckland!!!

I love your idea of aluminum L stock being below the round bars. It'll keep the bars free for me to transport lumber.

Questions:
  1. What is the flat aluminum stock used for?
  2. how did you run/secure the straps?
Thankx!

The L stock is the frame and the flat stock (2 pieces ) crosses between the two long sides to create a base for the MaxTrax to lay on as seen in photo. I have used two cinch straps (like used to strap on a canoe .... not ratchet) It goes pretty much right under and over where those cross flat stock are located... To make it a bit more of a hassle to steal...I thread a bicycle cable lock through. Pretty cheap. I have since gone to 40 lb lifters and I can't tell they're up there when raising the roof. I have also since put my 3 rotopax 2 gallon diesel tanks under the overhead (above the cab) which are behind my airfoil. That works nice too as I used to have them on the roof and when I want fuel it is easier where they now are.
Have fun makings mods.

PS I just looked again and the two end short sides are square stock...., I did that as the Yakima track bolts were easier if 1 1/2 inch length bolts

gaylon said:
Used Axia Alloy tube mounts and Maxtrax locking pins.
I did the same except with square 1” bars. And ran the racks closer together and the traxx sideways. It makes it a lot easier to load and unload, I can stand in the door and do it and I’m not tall. Unless you are using the rack for something else have you tried that?

Back
Top Bottom