Maxxtrax

adrian

Advanced Member
What suggestions to members have for attaching the Maxxtrax(sp.) to a 4wh camper Hawk.

adrian said:
What suggestions to members have for attaching the Maxxtrax(sp.) to a 4wh camper Hawk.

Lots of cool ideas have been posted....for exterior mounting...so far I have avoided any outside mounts..

But I found that my Trax [2] are best hung inside the cab ['05 Tundra Access Cab] on the back 'wall' where the back of my rear seat used to be...good fit and out of way....if needed and they get messy I can put them in large trash bags until they can be cleaned...

Like Wallowa, I too carry my Maxtraxs in the cab where my rear seats used to be. Less like that they will get “pinched” while my vehicle is sitting unattended. Additionally, if they were to be attached to the exterior of my vehicle, exposed to the intense sun here in the western USA, I’d expect them to deteriorate over they years, like pretty much every other non-metallic piece of gear that I have used.

adrian said:
loaded-roof-rack.jpg

We don’t have Maxtrax we have knock off’s.
So out of embarrassment we also keep them inside truck cab.
Just kidding about the embarrassment, they have been used to help others and tire spin is their enemy. Not big on hanging gear on the outside of the structure.
Punching holes in the skin.

Have had the thought of bending a couple brackets to hang over the bed rails, mounts secured inside the bed.

Russ

Another vote for the roof. I stored them in the camper for awhile, but got tired of moving them in and out. Plus it would be a real mess if I had to use them in mud. So, I built a custom rack using 80/20 extrusions and brackets. It bolts to the factory Yakima tracks.

20210512_210255%20(2).jpg

-Scott

ri-f said:
I like what you've done here. We've got a similar truck/camper/rack. I have a shallow Yakima basket, and have cut one side of the basket out to make loading chairs easier. So far there's been only one time I wish I had the maxxtrax. There's always that one time!

Lighthawk said:
...So far there's been only one time I wish I had the maxxtrax. There's always that one time!
Yes, it's truly remarakble some of the stuff we install, just so that we will never have the need to use them. : )

Another vote for the top of the camper.

They've been used a couple of times. So far only in the snow.

I would like to thank every one that answer my question. Several good points to think about. Again i thank you all.

I like the idea of keeping my four MAXTRAX inside and protected but also keep in mind that depending on where you use them they get awful dirty. When I used mine with my Jeep they seemed like magnets for mud, sand and snow so maybe a primary storage place inside with a secondary temporary storage area outside until they can be cleaned.

External storage seems like the direction I will go with. If there is enough clearance between the top of my cab and the overhang for the bed I would like to squeeze them in there. The next best place would be between the rear window of my cab and the front of the FWC. Both of these areas would keep them out of the sun yet easily accessible and somewhat out of sight also. There is a reasonable chance I will just mount them on the back of the camper or possibly up top.

Back
Top Bottom