Melanoma

Can't recall if I posted this or not, but regardless of his plans for the day my dad applies SPF 50 every morning before getting dressed. I am thinking that I should start doing so myself.

Glad to hear u going well, my mother has a concern as well with skin cancer. I know what u are going thru. Have a positive attitude and all will be well.

Jim

As we age the going gets tough at times, we just have to look forward to the next camping trip and enjoy as much as we can !!

So glad that you are carefully monitoring yourself to keep on top of this. And, being assertive with your doctors. My nephew noticed a lump under his armpit last November:stage 3 melanoma. Currently he has almost exhausted all avenues of treatment. A former Marine, he was loathe to use marijuana but just bought a pipe and got his medical marijuana card. He is 36 years old with 3 children. He is my sister's only child. She has a wonderful boss who has allowed her as much time off as is necessary to be with him. At this point, he has just completed his last round of chemo. This Wednesday he will get a screening to see if it shrunk the tumor in his stomach. If the news is bad, he will enter hospice care at home. His doctors including 9 oncologists at Stanford have been baffled by his cancer. They have tried every drug and combo out there.

They live near many of you in Rosedale, California. Awhile back I asked about where to live nearby but it looks like he may not make it. I guess I am relating this to warn folks to apply sunscreen and avoid the sun when you can. And, to request your prayers and healing thoughts. What stuns us is that it happened so quickly. Cancer does not run on our family so he may have been exposed to something as a Marine.

Again, Ski, I am so very happy that you are healthy and able to get out there in your camper with your Lady. Thanks for the heads up to people. I am fair so try to apply sun screen all the time. Living in the wet side of Washington doesn't allow for a lot of sun but we do get it. We grow much of our own food so when I feel a need to snack, I eat berries and tomatoes for their anti-cancer properties.

Hope to see many of you this fall at the meet up then hopefully visit our nephew.

Well, I'm still around and darn happy about it. I have continued with full body screenings every 6 months with my doc. Yesterday was the first visit where moles were not cut out and sent to biopsy. Yes! :)

So a reminder, Learn what to look for and get it checked out. The Lady's spotting of that mole that was changing on my back probably saved my life.

Great idea for another bump. Glad to know you've got a clean bill of health on the recent visit!

Two weeks ago I had what turned out to be a benign barnacle removed from my left forearm, which for much of the last 44 years has been the "trucker's arm" receiving so much direct exposure. The same examination found a basal cell carcinoma just above the T-shirt neckline, in "farmer's tan" territory. I have a Mohs procedure scheduled to remove that next week.

Two months ago, I wore sunscreen, a long-sleeved sun shirt, and even kept a light cotton glove on my left arm and hand while wandering Montana and Wyoming.

Fair-skinned Scottish savages like myself can't be too careful, especially when we've been in the sun for + 60 years, with the first 20-25 of them being in the dark ages before sunscreen and a better understanding of the need to limit exposure!

Foy

ski3pin said:
Well, I'm still around and darn happy about it. I have continued with full body screenings every 6 months with my doc. Yesterday was the first visit where moles were not cut out and sent to biopsy. Yes! :)

So a reminder, Learn what to look for and get it checked out. The Lady's spotting of that mole that was changing on my back probably saved my life.
Way to go Ski.That is great news.
Frank

Time for an update here. At my recent now yearly check I had 4 moles removed and biopsied. One came back moderate abnormal. The new mining expedition on my back - wider and deeper and more pathology work - in that suspicious area is tomorrow afternoon. All will go well. :)

Mr 3Pin, The Bride and I are sending our best for your surgery tomorrow. I hope they get it all the first time, and that you have a complete and speedy healing.

As Foy mentioned early today, we Scortched Geezers need to support one another!

Ted said:
Ski, Good of you to share with us. I am confident we will be camping together well into our old age.
biggrin.gif
I'm holding both of you responsible to make this happen.

Thank heaven for science and medical knowledge! All the best for your procedure. It is nerve wracking. I too was told I had melanoma after it was caught by my primary. The biopsy was positive and I had surgery to cut it out. It was in a nasty spot beside my eye. Not fun but oh so glad it is 'gone'. So far all is well but having the "Irish curse" I must be diligent about having suspect things checked out early.

Hang in there and live each day to the fullest!

Rob

Lighthawk said:
I'm holding both of you responsible to make this happen.
Interesting find, Andy. How much has changed since I posted that. Everyone reacts differently, but I am somewhat amazed how well my chemo treatment is going and the progress I am having. Of course I was concerned when first diagnosed, but now I believe that quote you posted will still be true. And Monte is much tougher than I am, so I'm sure he will come out of this as fit as ever.

Hey guys medical science is a wonderful thing; besides there are lot's of adventures out there in that wild world to still , so get better!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom