Memorial Day Weekend

Although my original post was a negative observation on the invading hordes.............................

if you are venturing out this holiday weekend, we hope you have a great time away. Travel safe and have fun. :)

ski3pin said:
We drove the 1.5 miles over to the Post Office and back after noon. The off ramp from the highway was backed up onto the highway, an unbelievable amount of people coming up.
Living in the foothills we are lucky to "get away from it all" everyday and it's ez to take it for granted. I suspect that those folks backed up on the roads and squeezed next to each other in campgrounds live like that everyday and it's just part of their daily lives. Blessed to be where we are!

Just finished up a 3 week trip to Arches, Canyonland, Bryce, Joshua Tree, and Sequoia National Parks. Sailed home early afternoon Friday at the start of Memorial Day weekend. The traffic was definitely the heaviest Friday glad to be home and not on the road this weekend.

For years I didn't have much choice. That's when I had time off. I'm sure that is the case for most of the hordes heading up into the mountains. Hoping the hordes don't trash the mountains. Fingers crossed.

Here in TX the little Public Land we have seems to have been reserved all weekend. So we reserved a new spot through Hip Camp. Was able to reserve all 3 days... now I know why. Be careful out there guys and gals check out if you can. This was a new "Site" reviews were good but I'm guessing not people desiring and wanting dispersed sites. I won't list the place but beware. If you have kids and are "city folk" maybe this is for you. It's friggan camping in their barn yard :( Yep right in the middle of everything. I luckily got there first and was able to turn my friends back, I stayed the night and left first thing in am so now I'm home for Memorial day weekend :( Their picture showed a great fishing hole... look at my pic. We were certainly the center of attention ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 70
There are 5 weekends that I have learned to avoid:
- Opening fishing (amateur weekend).
- Memorial Day.
- around the 4th of July.
- Labor Day.
- Opening deer hunting (unless hunting).

Campgrounds were full, people were crazy. And this was 30 years ago. I can't imagine what it is like this year.

Lots easier to avoid now that I am retired.

XJINTX said:
Here in TX the little Public Land we have seems to have been reserved all weekend. So we reserved a new spot through Hip Camp. Was able to reserve all 3 days... now I know why. Be careful out there guys and gals check out if you can. This was a new "Site" reviews were good but I'm guessing not people desiring and wanting dispersed sites. I won't list the place but beware. If you have kids and are "city folk" maybe this is for you. It's friggan camping in their barn yard :( Yep right in the middle of everything. I luckily got there first and was able to turn my friends back, I stayed the night and left first thing in am so now I'm home for Memorial day weekend :( Their picture showed a great fishing hole... look at my pic. We were certainly the center of attention ;)
How do you find using the Hip Camp site? Was it helpful? A few weeks ago I read a story in the local paper
about the site. I went on but in the small search I only found "resort" style camping here in Ca.

I'll have to give it another try.

Frank

Now that I'm retired from my dear old BLM and no longer work holidays out among the milling and usually very drunk and unruly masses despoiling our public lands :p !!! Life is great---Yep-I'm like most of you-unless I'm out and already hidden somewhere-I stay home, drink some vodka and beer and watch the Giants play ball and work around the yard and plan for a getaway up north mid week somewhere close. TV is actually pretty good on holidays and town is nice and mellow and throw in a good book and I'll enjoy life knowing than soon (Wednesday night probably ) I should be setting up camp at one of my back country places up near the Calif/Or border somewhere! And unless the masses have discovered my spots and I have to change plans- then no problem (Ya gotta stay positive), lots of places to camp out there! Ah-retirement is grand!

Smoke

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
How do you find using the Hip Camp site? Was it helpful? A few weeks ago I read a story in the local paper
about the site. I went on but in the small search I only found "resort" style camping here in Ca.

I'll have to give it another try.

Frank
We REALLY like Hip Camp and the app. This is our first letdown here in Texas. I honestly think these owners are new to it and will work this spot out. Other places are GREAT they pick sites far away from them and their day to day operations. While camping we never see anyone else unless intended. I will certainly still use Hip Camp just will be leery and check with others not the owners. I realize that "City folk" might have liked the barnyard camping so not bad reviews but...

XJINTX said:
We REALLY like Hip Camp and the app. This is our first letdown here in Texas. I honestly think these owners are new to it and will work this spot out. Other places are GREAT they pick sites far away from them and their day to day operations. While camping we never see anyone else unless intended. I will certainly still use Hip Camp just will be leery and check with others not the owners. I realize that "City folk" might have liked the barnyard camping so not bad reviews but...
Thanks for the info.I'll have to retry them.
I read that they also do state and national park spots,is that true?
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for the info.I'll have to retry them.
I read that they also do state and national park spots,is that true?
Frank
HMMM not sure never tried or looked on their site for State or national... I will have to give a look. Not sure how they would get spots and why pay an additional fee to them when we can use Reserve America?

Thanks .That was my thought.
The story was in the SF Chronicle and it made it sound like you could find last minuet spaces through them.

Looking at some of the places on the site,not our style.
This APP looks like Air BnB for camping,is my first thought.
Frank

We were out to the coast last week and left on Wednesday for two nights at Gualala State Park CG.
Traffic was light, but it was midweek.

We opted to take Mountain View road from between Booneville and Philo to Manchester. It's a narrow road, without a center line and hundreds of blind corners. A great ride, but I doubt I'll repeat it. The steep descents and slide slopes of the coastal topography require vigilant driving. I recommend Faulkner Park (est. 1931) for a quiet lunch not far from Booneville.

The Gualala State Park CG is next to the river, and we even picked up a bit of wifi in camp. The bathrooms were clean and a coin-op hot shower was superb. Our camp was cheek to jowl with others, and I would take #10, #11 or #12 next time. There's a nice group of walk-in camps too.

We visited the headlands on our first afternoon there, and saw few people. We explored the old Gualala road along the river and found gravel bars with few people.

On Thursday we did a redwood hike, then went to Shell Beach, where there's only five parking spots at the TH access. We got the last park spot. It was great, and I was able to photograph a pair of harbor seals enjoying themselves. The Sea Ranch hiking trails are well designed IMHO.

On Friday we drove up to first-come, first-serve Navarro Beach and there were two camp spots still open. We decided to spend a few hours on the big sandy beach and returned back home later that day, getting off the road by dark.

Lighthawk said:
We were out to the coast last week and left on Wednesday for two nights at Gualala State Park CG.
Traffic was light, but it was midweek.

We opted to take Mountain View road from between Booneville and Philo to Manchester. It's a narrow road, without a center line and hundreds of blind corners. A great ride, but I doubt I'll repeat it. The steep descents and slide slopes of the coastal topography require vigilant driving. I recommend Faulkner Park (est. 1931) for a quiet lunch not far from Booneville.

The Gualala State Park CG is next to the river, and we even picked up a bit of wifi in camp. The bathrooms were clean and a coin-op hot shower was superb. Our camp was cheek to jowl with others, and I would take #10, #11 or #12 next time. There's a nice group of walk-in camps too.

We visited the headlands on our first afternoon there, and saw few people. We explored the old Gualala road along the river and found gravel bars with few people.

On Thursday we did a redwood hike, then went to Shell Beach, where there's only five parking spots at the TH access. We got the last park spot. It was great, and I was able to photograph a pair of harbor seals enjoying themselves. The Sea Ranch hiking trails are well designed IMHO.

On Friday we drove up to first-come, first-serve Navarro Beach and there were two camp spots still open. We decided to spend a few hours on the big sandy beach and returned back home later that day, getting off the road by dark.
Wonderful time on the coast, Lighthawk! :)

The coast seems like a great place to be with this early heatwave we're having. My wife and I were in Mendocino the end of April and I decided to drive down the coast and catch Greenwood Rd to head east for home. I completely spaced and when we hit Manchester Beach I realized I didn't take my intended route. Consulting our trusty road atlas I saw that Mountain View Rd would take us to Booneville and haven't ever taken that route went for it. Besides, I'm from Mt View Hawaii so it must be in the stars. Ski, I agree with you - it's not a route that I won't have to do again.
It is pretty countryside though!

Back
Top Bottom