memory foam topper for bed? can leave on?

hoyden

Lady Bug
Hi!

I thought I'd seen a discussion on this somewhere, but can't find it.

Any of y'all use a topper on in your FWC pop-up bed? Specifically a new Fleet!

Is it low enough so you can leave it on when un-popped?

What kind do you use?

Any other thinks on comfy bedding?

Thanks!

I leave my sleeping bag on the bed but don't think there's room in my Eagle for a topper, especially folded up. I find the cushions in my 2014 Eagle more comfortable to sleep on than my bed at home which has a memory foam topper. Just my experience, and I do prefer a firm mattress.

I replaced the stock foam for the bed with a 4" replacement bed pad with a 2" memory foam and 2" foam construction. Purchased from Overstock.com. Just had to resize the pad to fit the cushion cover.

There isn't much room over the bed on my fleet. The arctic liner takes up some space too. As does the hinged panel and board attached to it. In the "free space" above the bed it probably has less than 2". Personally I wouldn't try to put anything thicker than a 1" memory foam pad up there that can compress some on the edges. But try the cushions first and see for yourself.

What we use for bedding (and I highly recommend it although it's overpriced) is an RV superbag. Rvsuperbag.com
It is a big sleeping bag, with a thicker side and a thinner side, zipper all the way around, with sheets that Velcro in. We can't stand to sleep in mummy bags, and the huge double sleeping bag we used in the jeep can't be washed at home. The nice thing with the superbag is you just zip it up, fold it and through it on the couch/dinette when you pack up. Comfortable like a bed, but you never have to make a bed. Easy to wash the sheets, or the whole thing in separate pieces. If it's warmer out, put the thicker side down and enjoy extra cushion. Either way it provides some extra cushion.

Somewhere buried in of those previously mentioned threads...

We use a 1" Walmart memory foam mattress on top of FWC cushions. Can easily close the top with only minor latch adjustment.

Thank you all! Gives me food for thought.

Right now, I do have a two-sleeping-bag-zip together, but I hadn't considered the lack of sheets/easy eashing.

Advmoto18 - which model & year FWC do you have?

We added a 2" gel memory foam topper from Target on top of the cushions (2015 Hawk Shell). We're not large people, so we use the bed un-extended as a sub-full size bed - cozy & comfy :). It leaves the floor space completely open. That way the bed stays made - no removing cushions and then remaking the bed every night. We use flannel sheets in cool weather and a fully opened rectangular sleeping bag as a comforter and have a light-weight thermal blanket if we need more. All of this stays on the bed and the roof has no problem compressing it all. We leave the 2 smaller cushions at home. We like it better than our bed at home!

Guys he has a fleet. The cab over isn't as tall as the hawk, it much a much more narrow profile. At least 2" difference in the cab over thickness.

brianjwilson said:
Guys he has a fleet. The cab over isn't as tall as the hawk, it much a much more narrow profile. At least 2" difference in the cab over thickness.
* she :)

I didn't realize the Hawk has that much more room!

I was looking closer at my Fleet last night and unless I get something narrow, since I have the Thermal Pack it doesn't look like anything extra will fit to stay on. I'm going on a longer trip this next week, so we'll see how comfy the stock pad is. I like the idea of a memory foam topper tho. I had one a couple of years ago in an RV and it was great.

Hah my apologies.

Yeah the first time I climbed into a hawk and closed it, I was a little jealous of the space over the bed. Then I remembered that my lifted Tacoma with camper and roof racks fits in my garage with room to spare. ;) lots of compromises.

brianjwilson said:
Hah my apologies.

Yeah the first time I climbed into a hawk and closed it, I was a little jealous of the space over the bed. Then I remembered that my lifted Tacoma with camper and roof racks fits in my garage with room to spare. ;) lots of compromises.
(no worries!)

That's funny! I was having flat-bed envy.... but I am loving my Fleet! I'll post up a trip report of my coming week....

I've seen a few folks who took the stock bed out altogether and got a memory foam for that space. It's a thought... We'll see how sleeping goes this week. Might decide it's fine as is!

We had a few nights with just the stock mattresses & we were fine with it (we do like firm). The memory foam just added the "aaahh" factor. I sure wouldn't want to take it off every time I closed it up though!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Wander The West mobile app

I have a fleet with a 1 1/2 inch memory foam pad which I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond. Have not had any issues leaving it on the stock cushions and latching the top.

Montreat said:
I have a fleet with a 1 1/2 inch memory foam pad which I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond. Have not had any issues leaving it on the stock cushions and latching the top.
What year Fleet? And do you have the Arctic pack?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom