Mexico (Mainland) here we come (soon)

kmcintyre

We did Baja a year or so ago and enjoyed it a lot so this year we're headed to the mainland for 2 months in the camper w/ the dog!

We're pretty much ready to go. Just packing up and finalizing plans. First stop is San Diego for xmas then...

So far this is what we have. Cross at Lukeville and head south to a place where the most petroglyphs in N. America are! After that, head south along the Western side, down past Mexico City, then back up to see the butterflies, Tequila, etc. No real destinations (we have a ton of recommendations from another Mexico Forum) and we'll see how and where we go.

I doubt I'll do a trip report until we get back.

We do have a Garmin Mini so we'll have friends "track" us, but we're not worried. Friends seem more worried that us.

Kevin

Interested!

Now that Mexico is a weekend trip for me I'm especially interested in hearing about El Pinacate y Gran Desierto de Altar and beach camping along the east side of the Sea of Cortez while avoiding Rocky Point.

Hi Kevin

Very exciting for you !

Organ Pipe Cactus Nat. Monument at the Lukeville crossing is a wonderful place to spend a day or two and get to know the environment for that part of the Sonoran desert.

Also, Ajo, AZ is a cool little town with a very beautiful plaza.

Travel fun !

David Graves

Have a good trip Kevin. My Sister and her boyfriend did the mainland thing 2 or 3 winters ago. Never had any problems and it probably helped that she speaks Spanish. Not sure how far down they went but I remember her commenting on how hot it was while in Huatulco. Safe travels!!

I will be VERY interested in how you get the FWC registered for temporary entry. I'm trying to quiz the Banjercito government agency. I know Baja is not that particular but mainland is :( I'm having a hard time explaining a slidein.

XJINTX said:
I will be VERY interested in how you get the FWC registered for temporary entry. I'm trying to quiz the Banjercito government agency. I know Baja is not that particular but mainland is :( I'm having a hard time explaining a slidein.
It can't be that uncommon but we'll see. I don't remember what (or if) we did anything when we went to Baja. It was easy. In Idaho, the FWC isn't registered (no license or registration) so I'm not sure if that matters.

RONR said:
What an adventure! Good for you guys. Can’t wait to hear about it when you’re back. Have fun!!!

And we want to know about your AK trip! Are you taking the ferry? That's on our list!

kmcintyre said:
It can't be that uncommon but we'll see. I don't remember what (or if) we did anything when we went to Baja. It was easy. In Idaho, the FWC isn't registered (no license or registration) so I'm not sure if that matters.
I don't mean for registration in USA. You will be going past the 26 mile mark so need the vehicle registered in Mexico. It's the 6 month temp registration through Bamjercito. I have heard the full size truck with Slidein camper puts you past their gross weight limits? I realize Baja does not require that registration but you have to get for mainland. I hope I'm worried about nothing but will follow your posting.

XJINTX said:
I don't mean for registration in USA. You will be going past the 26 mile mark so need the vehicle registered in Mexico. It's the 6 month temp registration through Bamjercito. I have heard the full size truck with Slidein camper puts you past their gross weight limits? I realize Baja does not require that registration but you have to get for mainland. I hope I'm worried about[SIZE=12pt]2090 N Eagle Rd,[/SIZE]

nothing but will follow your posting.
Yes, I understand and the process is similar to Baja. No issues when we did Baja w/ the same rig. I doubt we're any heavier than a lot of other vehicles so I think we'll be fine.

I am concerned about getting turned away at the border with a 3/4 ton and greater. One of the reasons I hang on to my 1/2 ton.

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2017/10/truck-campers-banned-in-mexico/

kmcintyre: Please let us know what you encounter when you cross the border on the mainland side. From what I gather the Baja side is more laid back. This said I have always crossed with a half ton and Hawk.

.... and puhlease keep us updated with trip reports. Mainland Mexico is on my bucket list!!!!! Sounds like a good trip with lots of time to explore.

Ramblinman said:
I am concerned about getting turned away at the border with a 3/4 ton and greater. One of the reasons I hang on to my 1/2 ton.

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2017/10/truck-campers-banned-in-mexico/

kmcintyre: Please let us know what you encounter when you cross the border on the mainland side. From what I gather the Baja side is more laid back. This said I have always crossed with a half ton and Hawk.

.... and puhlease keep us updated with trip reports. Mainland Mexico is on my bucket list!!!!! Sounds like a good trip with lots of time to explore.
I'll let you know and try to keep a nice trip report going. Not sure how much connectivity we'll have along the way.

So excited for you....great adventure! I just started planning a similar trip for next January (2-3 months from New England). I will be waiting to hear how your trip goes! I have heard so many great things about Mexico. I followed Desertmax on Instagram last year as his new wife and dog traveled through Mexico and Central America. We have a newer diesel so there is the added work there but it will be worth it. I can speak passable Spanish which will help. May your travels be exciting as I expect them to be!
Vaya con Dios
Rob

Just an update for those interested...good diesel news:

Hello Rob,

You'll be pleased to learn that everywhere in Mexico was pumping ULSD as of April 2018. The final date for conversion set by the Mexican Government was Dec 31, 2018, and that target has been reached.

Bottom line, the days of sulfur-in-fuel issues in Mexico are over.

Enjoy your time in Mexico.

Cheers
Ted

^^^

Rob can you provide the source for your comments above? It is something that I have been closely watching.

We are hoping to go down the east coast ...all the way to Laguna Bacala area. We want to find a one bedroom place for a month in a town with less than 10,000 people... much smaller even better. So our trip would be broken in thirds. Any suggestions?

I did notice that on some pemex diesel signs there was a little 45 below it. I don't know if that the sulfur number?

Back
Top Bottom