How do you keep track of mileage?

• I make an educated guess

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I read a lot about claimed mileage. I wonder where these numbers come from and how and if the data is tracked.

I got the habit from my Mom & Dad who always recorded each fill up in a log book and computed mileage. The logbook also kept track of all repairs and maintenance. I'm a product of my upbringing. :) When a page is filled on one of our vehicles, I average out the mileage and record it at the top of the page. This allows me to leaf through the pages and note any trends that may indicate vehicle health.

What do you do? Don't forget to vote in the poll. :)

Regular driving I just glance at my computer gauges to get an indication but take it with a grain of salt. On long trips though jot down mileage and actual gallons added to the tank. I don't keep an ongoing log all the time though.

On long truck-camper trips I save all the gas receipts (to put quant in my Trip Report, if nothing else), and I usually calculate the mileage on the spot. I don't have a log-book for my truck...but that's really just an oversight that I never started -- I think it's a good idea and wish I had done so, but at 120,000 miles kinda late to start now.

In my car I've kept a little notebook with a record of every gas purchase from the day I bought it (when the odometer reading was 000006): date, odometer reading, gallons, price, location. I also note oil changes, etc.

On the truck,which is only used for camping,I keep a record of gas/miles.The wife also keeps the trip journal which she writs down our gas stops with info.At the end of the trip I add up all fuel and miles and "do" the math.During the trip I use the 2 trip odometers one to keep total miles the other miles to empty.After a fill up I do a rough check.The real info I want is how many miles can I go until I need more fuel.I can only do so much about the miles per,so I don't worry about that as much.
Also in the trip journal I enter service info.
The trip info is good to remember where we were at a certain time or how long in time/miles it took us to get where we are going for future use.
Also fun to go back and reread them helps relive the trip.
Sharon always keeps a journal of other trips we take.Sure helps as the mine forgets things.
Frank

We keep the receipts as we travel and note the mileage on each. Like Frank I use one trip meter for each fill and one for the whole trip. When we get home I have a simple spreadsheet I enter the info into and it does the calculations. This keeps the info from different trips in one place for reference. I do approximate the mileage at each fill-up in order to keep track of how we are doing. It is amazing how much the mileage can vary from one leg to the next, depending on conditions. With the small tank in the Tacoma it pays to know how far you can go before hitting empty (not very far). When we are likely to be far from a station, we have 2 NATO cans that we fill for added range. I don't track the mileage around town except mentally from the odometer at each fill. I keep service records separately in a file.

I'd always kept receipts (like my dad always did) and reset one of the trip odometers on each fill-up. I'd write the accumulated miles from the trip meter on the receipt, so I could go back and figure milage.

But now I've started writing it down in a cheap, spiral, flip-style notebook for my new truck. I'll note date and location and also oil changes and such.

I also put the Tacoma on the CAT scales this week before I get the Fleet next week and logged that info. 4170 lbs, with a full gas tank, sans tailgate, subtracting out the driver's weight, in case you were curious.

I voted "I don't care". It is 10 mpg no matter how you look at it!!!! I do keep the receipts when travelling out of town. Having a State Trooper pull you over 20 miles from the last gas stop and make you return to it as the moronic clerk thought you left without paying cured me!!!

I don't think it is possible anymore with the pay first or use credit card only but I'm not taking any chances!!!! :D

I use an app called Gas Cubby (free) that allows you to input gas, maintenance, and other expenditures. Been using it for a few years now and it produces all kinds of neat graphs and reports.

Regular driving I just glance at my computer gauges to get an indication but take it with a grain of salt. On long trips though jot down mileage and actual gallons added to the tank. I don't keep an ongoing log all the time though.

Same here keep track on long trips. I do use a ScanGauge

I do like the DTE “Distance to empty” gauge and always have an eye on that one and work it with distance to destination on my GPS.

x3

I don't keep track. Pure laziness. I know I should, not so much that I'm interested in the moment but tracking so hopefully if I see a trend down I know I should start looking at the truck.

Back
Top Bottom