MILESTONE... missed

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
IMG_20220120_155922.jpg

I'd intended to stop and take a picture of the odometer at 199999 and at 200000...but I forgot!

IMG_20220120_161543.jpg IMG_20220120_161723.jpg

As it says in my signature: 2000 Ford F250 Superduty, 6.8L V10 gasoline
Good old beast.

On Tuesday I'll take delivery of my new 2022 F150.

Cool! I've got the pic of my 2002 Superduty at 200k miles about 2 miles up the grade towards Wyoming from the I-80/I-84 split in northeastern Utah, in January 2012, at 2:25 am, temp showing 5 below zero, headed east for NC. Engine never shut off from Park City, Utah to Raleigh, NC (tag team driving with my son and we had to leave her idling while fueling and catnapping because it stayed brutally cold all the way home). She's got 287,000 now and will be pushing 295,000 by the time we get back from Montana in August. Your Big Girl has served you well, hasn't she?

Foy

I posted my 100,000 mile/stone on this forum, too. It was, I think, the day after the WTW Mokelumne River rendezvous, back in... 2010? (someone knows or can look it up) I was driving up 108 on the east side of the Sierras, near Pickel Meadows... or so I recall.

If you're picking up a new truck, what is happening with the 2002?

Good job keeping her healthy and happy to 200,000! :)

ski3pin said:
If you're picking up a new truck, what is happening with the 2002?
Mr 3pin, With the old girl (2000) just a few feet away from me, I think it would insensitive to discuss 'disposition' at this time.

ski3pin said:
If you're picking up a new truck, what is happening with the 2000?
Mr. 3pin, My non-joking answer had been, for sure, "I'll sell it".

But local friend CraggyMan recently suggested, "Why don't you just put your camper back on your F250 and have a dedicated vehicle...?" That is, a dedicated pop-up-camper-carrying vehicle. Hmmm....

The main reason against keeping the F250 is that I'll miss out on a few thousand dollars I'd get if I sold it...and incur a few hundred dollars a year cost of insurance.

But having my FWC mounted on a truck all the time greatly increases the likelihood that I'll actually use that camper. Even if/when I get something rigged up to facilitate removing the [soon to be] canopy from my new truck to enable mounting the FWC on it, I know that the extra steps -- un-mounting canopy, mount camper, un-mount camper, mount canopy -- will inhibit my lazy ass from doing it.
Until I got the trailer and kayak (and put a canopy on the F250 with a rack to carry the kayak), my camper was on the F250 99.9% of the time.

And I still want to go out and camp in places that I would never tow my trailer -- either because I don't want to beat up the trailer or to avoid getting in situations where I can't turn around with the trailer. With the pickup camper I can go and camp anyplace my truck can drive.

So, that's my latest thinking. I'll be out and about with the F250 towing my trailer for another couple of months, mostly likely -- time to consider.

Mr. BC, good thoughts on either option. I know, for us, having a truck and camper ready at a moment's notice has helped us take advantage of spur of the moment decisions to hit the road. :)

Back
Top Bottom