minimum tire psi

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Maybe someone here can help me out. I've recently had BFG A/T load range E tires installed. They are great when the Hawk is on board and I love the traction offroad. Two issues: my tire sensor won't stop flashing, 'cause the BFG's are at 80psi, but not the spare. And main issue is the ride is pretty rough while empty. I would like to run lower psi, without excessive wear. I have not been able to find info on minimumpsi only maximum. Any suggestions? I've considered bags of sand in the p/u bed.

Not sure what size you're running or it even matters, but I run BFG AT's in a load range E (285/75/16) also, and I keep 36-40PSI in them for everyday driving... down to 16PSI when off road. I've done this on my last 2 previous sets of BFG AT's as well and I usually get 45K-50K out of them.

I run around 45-50psi in mine, that is what the tire shop said to run when unloaded as well (I run loaded at that as well for what its worth).

i have them too! i run 60 front and rear with the camper on.

when i pull the camper i drop the rears to 45-50

You should do a chalk test to determine what the right psi is for your set of tires. (Or look at them after driving on a dirt road, and having driven a short distance on pavement. This will show where the tire is contacting the ground.)

The owners manual tells you how to reset the TPM for the psi you run in your tires, thus making the light go off. But you will need the spare filled to the same psi.

I run about 40 psi. Down to 20 psi when aired down for off road.

I can't see you needing any more than 60 psi just carrying a pop-up camper around ?

I have "E" rated tires on my Ford.

I usually run them around at 40 psi when the truck is empty.

And maybe 60 psi when I have a big camper on the truck.

80 psi is maxing them out and might make for a very bumpy ride.

Hope this helps.

Th, th, thanks, every - bo - dy! My teeth will stop chattering on the morning drive to work and the coffee mug won't vibrate in the center console so much when I drop the psi down from 80# to ~45psi. I knew that 80 psi had to be too rock hard for an empty toyota!

I have E-rated Michelin's, which are a softer tire to begin with, and run in the mid-40s empty and 48-50 when fully loaded with the camper. An E tire at full pressure is for carrying something like 4000#s more than my rig loaded, so no need to go that high (I don't think).

Guess I should know total GVWR with camper, but I don't have a hard number. Probably mid-7000# level and each BFG AT is rated for something like 3300#, so yeah it's overkilly at, by least 4000#. Good point Brett.

Mostly I was concerned with excessive wear if I deflate them from 80# (the ONLY number BFG publishes that I could find) to say 45#. That's like only a bit over 50% of the psi rating, so I'm thankful for all the 'real world' info shared here. What works and what doesn't, despite lack of info from the manufacturer; it's how we all get our rigs optimized. Thanks!

Guess I should know total GVWR with camper, but I don't have a hard number. Probably mid-7000# level and each BFG AT is rated for something like 3300#, so yeah it's overkilly at, by least 4000#. Good point Brett.

Mostly I was concerned with excessive wear if I deflate them from 80# (the ONLY number BFG publishes that I could find) to say 45#. That's like only a bit over 50% of the psi rating, so I'm thankful for all the 'real world' info shared here. What works and what doesn't, despite lack of info from the manufacturer; it's how we all get our rigs optimized. Thanks!

Keep in mind you have excessive wear if overinflated too! With too much pressure, tires will bulge in the center and wear the middle of the contact patch. Someone on here suggested the chalk test: rub chalk on the tire patch and drive straight 50ft or so. See where the chalk comes off- that's where there will be most wear at the current pressure. Personally, I do it by how my truck feels steering-wise. Not precise, but I've had good luck so far.

Maybe someone here can help me out. I've recently had BFG A/T load range E tires installed. They are great when the Hawk is on board and I love the traction offroad. Two issues: my tire sensor won't stop flashing, 'cause the BFG's are at 80psi, but not the spare. And main issue is the ride is pretty rough while empty. I would like to run lower psi, without excessive wear. I have not been able to find info on minimumpsi only maximum. Any suggestions? I've considered bags of sand in the p/u bed.

Regarding the flashing tire sensor: I believe the dealer can adjust the "Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors" (TPMS) to set alarms at whichever PSI you wish. Some states may require you to sign a wavier to set the TPMS to a level other that that which is printed on the drivers side door jamb.

Regarding the flashing tire sensor: I believe the dealer can adjust the "Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors" (TPMS) to set alarms at whichever PSI you wish. Some states may require you to sign a wavier to set the TPMS to a level other that that which is printed on the drivers side door jamb.

In my Tacoma it is as simple as pushing the TPMS reset button located by the hood release.

Good point about TPMS ( let's see: Tire Pressure Most asSine? )

Frankly, the amount of sensors, maintenance alerts, beeping non-seatbelt chimes, etc.
can be way too much babysitting for me. My GF's Subaru Forester is relentless, we call her the "Mommy Car"
Ding dong, ding dong, ding dong, ayyyyyyyyy! I can't get a ride, unbuckled, 1/8 mi. up to the main road to the mailbox before it drives me crazy.

On the Tundra there is a button way down the steering column that will recalibrate the TPMS, but I found
it will not reconcile 80psi on the running gear with half that on my spare. I cheaped out and did not buy five tires when I got my BFG AT's.

The final test will be for me to reset the TPMS tomorrow. I did lower the psi to 43# for the five mile drive home (here in bucolic Grass Valley) and it was a much, much better ride. What an idiot I was driving around on 80# rock hard tires for the last month! But at least I had them on my 700 mile Tour of Nevada
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=2472&do=view_album&album=251

I'll reset TPMS tomorrow and report back, which will hopefully put this thread to rest.
Thank you everyone for the useful and friendly info.

Back
Top Bottom