More Good News From ATC

chnlisle

Post Master
I just got off the phone with ATC. They are now using WilsonArt Raven Gemstone laminate on all the counter surfaces. WisonArt laminate comes in three grades and Raven Gemstone is the highest. The new surfaces are thicker (30 mil) and textured and the substrate is high quality 3/4 inch 7 ply plywood. This stuff is beautiful. You can see it at Home Depot, Lowes etc. This picture really doesn't do it justice. Click on it to get a better idea of the colors.

raven gemstone.jpg

Yeah, Marty told me about this last week - it's going in my Bobcat on the furnace cabinet. It looks really sweet!

I saw the first ATC camper under construction yesterday with the new counter, very nice! The guys at ATC are very deliberate with the changes they make to the materials used in their campers such as the new counter tops and the new cabover board. They go with what is best with good reasoning to back up the change. Way to go guys! :)

^^^ wonder if it's my Bobcat?!? Marty has been great to work with and has patiently answered all of my questions...really looking forward to it.

Right you are SkiMiester.

It's called SkidGaurd. It's expensive, cool looking and 100% waterproof. When ATC makes changes they benefit the customer.

The name SkidGaurd could be used for a few different products. ;) :D

enelson said:
The new counter tops look very nice. Is there an option to change from the oak panelling to a lighter color panelling for the walls?
I asked this question when I was placing my order with ATC and they said they only use the oak panelling.

I called and asked about interior color and material options a few months ago. You should probably call them and find out the latest. I didn't come away from the phone call thinking there was much in the way of customization, or many standard choices, available. I was surprised because I read online (probably this forum) that ATC was easy to work with regarding customization.

If you are down in the Springs head on up to the Sportsmen's Expo next weekend in Denver. There will be a few truck camper makers there. I know FWC will be there. We are heading out there Saturday morning.

enelson said:
I called and asked about interior color and material options a few months ago. You should probably call them and find out the latest. I didn't come away from the phone call thinking there was much in the way of customization, or many standard choices, available. I was surprised because I read online (probably this forum) that ATC was easy to work with regarding customization.

If you are down in the Springs head on up to the Sportsmen's Expo next weekend in Denver. There will be a few truck camper makers there. I know FWC will be there. We are heading out there Saturday morning.
Thanks enelson - I'll give them a call. Others have posted that ATC are indeed very amenable to customization, just not in the decor department. Not that fussy about colors etc, but a few options would be nice.

Would love to see the expo, but sadly I'm stuck here in rainy, windy England until March when we pick up our new Bobcat from Jay. So excited!

When I ordered my Bobcat from ATC I asked them to make the interior side panels completely removable, which they did by using the square drive screws in the bottom of the panels where there are normally staples (hard to remove without doing damage).

Changing my custom interior cabinets and modifying the "inside the wall" 12 VDC wiring multiple times, the inside panels are showing a fair amount of wear.

So, I've been thinking of replacing the interior panels with panels of unmounted (or unglued to anything) Formica or similar other brands (WilsonArt). I initially thought I'd need 4 - 4'x8' sheets, however, when I went to Home Depot to look over the zillion surface patterns I found out that other sizes are available than 4'x8' sheets. It appears that I should be able to get four Formica or WilsonArt sheets just a little larger than the current interior panels for around $175 total.

The only issue is being careful when making the holes for the square drive screws, as the Formica or WilsonArt material is a bit brittle and would crack or splinter very easily. Hate to ruin a complete sheet of the stuff by not being careful when drilling the holes.

I believe that the Formica or WilsonArt material is about the same weight as the original interior panels. The Formica or WilsonArt material is about 1/16" thick (thinner than the original interior panels). I would lose some of the insulation properties of the original interior panels, but, I'm OK with that.

And, as I said, there are a zillion pattern choices.
I'm thinking of going with a "light" color pattern to help bounce more light around the interior.

Alley-Kat,

Try drilling through the laminate with the drill running in reverse. This works on fiberglas boats to get through the Gel Coat without causing chipping. This wears through the brittle surface without allowing the edge of the drill fluke to catch or snag. Once through the laminate, go back to forward drilling.

I haven't tried this with laminate, but it does work well on Gel Coat which has similar properties. As they say, use in a less visible location or scrap piece of the laminate first.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom