Mosquito Repellent for Campsite

I've considered the Theracell units, too, but I don't know if the outgassing from it would have any effect on optical coatings. I would need to do more research before I buy.

We have bought and used clothing that's impregnated with a product called Permathrin (sp?) when we did a week long kayak trip down the Allagash River in Maine.
The area is known for black flies and my wife was really worried about it but the clothing works! We later found out that U.S. military uniforms have been treated with this. We also found that you can buy it as a spray and pretreat your own clothing at home before you leave on your trip.

Good luck!

PS. Lookie here!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sawyerreg-Duranon-Permethrin-Insect-Repellent/714807.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DPermathrin%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Permathrin

Can also buy Avon Skin so soft with that P stuff (I kid my wife and call it "Premarin"). She will be bitten when no one else is, and it works for her remarkably well.

Have 2 thermo-cells, one a lantern, seem to work. Bought a non-toxic spray for our dog - cedar/lemon grass. I spray our socks and other clothing. Looking at purchasing the outdoor spray - Wondercide out of Texas

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

fish more said:
DEET, works great !!!!!!
Unless you ever touch plastic :eek: DEET is an excellent solvent and does a good job dissolving fly lines and the plastic on camera bodies. In some cases, though, it's about the only thing that works to keep the bugs off.

I'm aware of the issues with DEET and outdoor gear, so I've started using Sawyer's Picaridin repellent.
I got it at Cabelas, but I've also found it at Walmart.
I'm also planning to buy their clothing spray. I usually spray myself pretty well, but I always seem to miss a spot and the mosquitos find it!

this low tech , but has served me well for years. we set a bright lantern about 30ft from the area we are sitting in(camp fire, park table). the light attracts the flying things and we are left generally alone.

wes

Back
Top Bottom