Mounting Bike fork mount

Been following and want to do this... one rather dumb question.... my older mountain bike forks have open, wheel/axil ends with there flip tension tightening .... so not a through bolt. So the clamping force of this mount is enough to hold the weight of the bike there in an open ended "horse shoe" fork end?....seems like a big backroad potholed could knock it out? so that is why I think this might be a dumb question!

buckland said:
Been following and want to do this... one rather dumb question.... my older mountain bike forks have open, wheel/axil ends with there flip tension tightening .... so not a through bolt. So the clamping force of this mount is enough to hold the weight of the bike there in an open ended "horse shoe" fork end?....seems like a big backroad potholed could knock it out? so that is why I think this might be a dumb question!
I have an older bike with an open bike skewer Fork same as you.

I considered this Fork mounting option but went with a swing away hitch mount. Don't like the weight so Most likely will go with the fork mount if I ever get a tru axle fork, way stronger.

The problem is that I really like my 2010 Gary Fisher superfly (purchased used)full suspension that weighs around 24 lbs.

bike4mee said:
Hey
I used the vertical mount on my bikes for 10 years with the skewer type mount. It holds fine. This is the way to go. Modern bikes have a through axle that threads into the fork. There is an adapter you can get for these type forks.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8002099-Parent-T-Axle-Fork-Adapter/dp/B011O2QJ3Y

A more secure mount is a rockymount system for modern axle bikes, and older ones

https://rockymounts.com/collections/adaptor-and-truck-mounts/products/driveshaft-hm
Thank you...I have quick release axles on my bikes, so I don't know if I can use the rockymounts system, but I think I can. If my axles aren't thru axles, do the quick release/fork mounts hold the bike securely to the camper, like the thru axle mounts? Can you tell me a little about what you used for your tie down of the rear wheel?

Hey
I use just plain old cam straps. They can be anchored to the trim bolts on the corner of the camper.
If you ever think you may upgrade to a modern mt bike then get the rockymount system

bike4mee said:
Hey
I use just plain old cam straps. They can be anchored to the trim bolts on the corner of the camper.
If you ever think you may upgrade to a modern mt bike then get the rockymount system
Thanks. Just to clarify.....I could use the rockymounts Driveshaft with my older quick release forks (open-ended forks) and it would secure it fine to the camper? Don't have to worry about the forks popping out on bumpy roads?

My neighbor had this setup, and he found it difficult to put the front wheel into the mount and tighten the spindle without help - have you had any problems? I think you have thru-axles, but maybe had the quick release open forks in the past....? He needed someone to hold the bike against the mount while he tightened the nut to get the right tension for the closing lever......

Ya, it is a little difficult to hold the bike up while adjusting the tension on the spindle (old style). Once you get it set for your bike it's easier. I have scissor stairs so I just stand on those.

You must get the locking spindle type, to keep it from opening with the older ones. With the Rocky it clamps the spindle so it cant come loose. Not sure how secure it is if you use a older bike on the rocky adapter. I would call them

Thanks, guys. I probably will call Rocky....if the Drivethru won't work with older quick release forks, I need to find out if the mounting holes for both the Driveshaft and the Loball are the same. If so, I can get the Loball for my current bike, and if I upgrade to a thru axle bike in the future I could replace the Loball with the Driveshaft. Wouldn't want to have to drill new holes in the camper.

Update....found this on the Rockymounts site:

https://rockymounts.com/products/dummy-axle-and-9mm-qr

Designed for quick release fork bikes that want to use the Driveshaft HM mount. No locking mechanism, but it does allow you to use a non-thru axle bike with this mount. Going to call them tomorrow to see how secure they feel this would be.

rustytinbender said:
Here are a couple more photos of my mount on a 2011 Hawk
Rusty...I'm about to drill my holes. Just to be sure - you drilled about 1 1/2" down from the top of the frame (not the top of the popup roof)? Want to make sure I hit the internal crossmember.

Lighthawk's pic looks like maybe he drilled about a 1/2" lower than you, but I'm figuring that internal crosspiece must be wide enough that you have over an inch to play with.

Hi Lighthawk! Can you please share a little more about the box you have mounted on the right side? Super slick looking. Thanks.
Lighthawk said:
I put a plate on the inside, using a length of 1/4" aluminum stock.
On the refrigerator side, I drilled through the refrigerator cabinet wall, so didn't need a plate.
Like you, I just use a strap to control the rear wheel.

Not sure about the thickness of the top plate of the frame.
If you do some searches, you can probably find a photo of a camper frame.
Even with a plate, you'll want to bolt through a frame member to keep from crushing the outer/inner walls
when you tighten down the mount.

Not a great photo, but you can see the bikes mounted on our Hawk here.

How did your measuring turn out? Going to start this project soon! Thanks!
radarcontact said:

Rusty...I'm about to drill my holes. Just to be sure - you drilled about 1 1/2" down from the top of the frame (not the top of the popup roof)? Want to make sure I hit the internal crossmember.

Lighthawk's pic looks like maybe he drilled about a 1/2" lower than you, but I'm figuring that internal crosspiece must be wide enough that you have over an inch to play with.

Nice work everyone.

To answer (if I didn't already) the question - why do I rotate my handle bars..... Our bike bars are OVER 31", it's an Eagle (so narrow), thus to avoid having the bars stick out past the vehicle AND allow the door to be open fully I rotate the bars.

I've been offroad with it a few times now - bikes hang on like champs. All good. Thanx to the original risk takers for their beta.

I wish I could do this.... after eyeballing the back of my camper (Hawk) and taking some measurements, I don't think it's possible for me to mount the bike lock the same way others have on here. Any screws/bolts that are placed within 2" of the top of the camper (excluding the pop-up roof) extend into my cabinet (I have a front dinette), and there's hardware all along the top ridge of that cabinet that abuts the rear of the camper. In addition, there's outer flood lights on the camper that are in the way of putting the mounting bracket where I want to put it. If anyone is interested in helping me, I can take a pic of the outside of the camper and the inside cabinet where the bolts would go. Thinking I may have to get a hitch swing-away rack, but I'm not happy about it as I usually use the hitch for attaching steps for getting into the camper.....

Melgarot said:
How did your measuring turn out? Going to start this project soon! Thanks!
I may look at this again....initially it looked like I couldn't do it, but after some careful measuring I may be able to attach a RockyMount near my flood lights. I'm going to take a pic of the back of my camper and email FWC to see if it's possible, and if I'll hit any wiring. Did you do this?

Back
Top Bottom