Mounting Eagle on RAM 1500 (before and after photos and how I did it)

kmcintyre

Wow! I'm sure some of you have seen my posts about moving this Eagle camper from my Dakota to the RAM. What a job. I used everything I had. What I basically did was jack the camper up off my dolly. Then supported it at the height I needed with lumber (on top of the dolly). I had about 1.5' off the front of the dolly. I got that on the truck. Then repeated a few times. I got about 1/3 of the way on the truck. Then I was stuck because I couldn't get the jacks under the camper and lift it. I put a piece of chain link fence post under the camper! Long story short, I bascially rolled/pushed it on the truck at that point but I had to get the pipe out. I used some scissor jacks on either side of the camper in front, another jack on the back of the camper.

I used all new grade 8, 1/2" hardware (eye bolts, washers, etc.) and backing plates on both the inside and outside.

We're headed to Baja in late Jan or early Feb so that will be the first big trip. Did a shake down drive up towards the ski resort today to see how it'd do on uphills and winding roads. No issues.

So, here's before and after pictures.

Kevin

Attachments

• 20161107_103805.jpg
    20161107_103805.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 20161107_103821.jpg
    20161107_103821.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 401
Yep - looks like no corner jacks. The danger of assumptions!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Now I understand, you don't have corner jacks. If you mentioned it, I sure missed it!
Sorry I don't think I mentioned that and it would have made it clearer for sure! I have the crank up versions. When I e-mailed ATC/Marty, he said that those weren't very good jacks and they don't even sell them. Luckily I figured out how to get the Eagle on with only using them to lift it a little bit and supporting the camper with blocks.

Small camper on big rig looks sleek man. Ecodiesel + FWC is winning combo. Please tell me what your lift/level and wheel sizes are. What is the penalty on mpg. My stock wheels and tires look lame but I do not want to be too punished at the pump.

IMG_7279.JPG

Kevin, I'll toss out my 2¢ worth. When you get a chance, install jack mounts. It's going to make your life easier next time you need to take the camper off. There's enough of us with jacks that you can borrow them if needed.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Kevin, I'll toss out my 2¢ worth. When you get a chance, install jack mounts. It's going to make your life easier next time you need to take the camper off. There's enough of us with jacks that you can borrow them if needed.
I probably should have had them put on when I had my sides and front/back wood replaced but didn't. That's a good idea and appreciate the "offer" of using jacks. I might be old school but I'm always worried about breaking someone else's stuff.

My plan isn't to take this off anytime soon but I'm sure the day will come. Maybe next time I'm near ATC/FWC I'll have them put the brackets on OR has anyone done it themselves? How hard/difficult is it? I'll google it too.

Thanks!

Frstnflt said:
Small camper on big rig looks sleek man. Ecodiesel + FWC is winning combo. Please tell me what your lift/level and wheel sizes are. What is the penalty on mpg. My stock wheels and tires look lame but I do not want to be too punished at the pump.

attachicon.gif
IMG_7279.JPG
No lift, just TLC airbags on the back and only inflated to keep it level. I measured the height before I loaded the camper so I could inflate to maintain the height. It's the Outdoorsman model which is 2" higher than the standard ED. The 20" wheels are standard too but the tires might be one size up from stock; I bought it used. I can check the size and I don't know what the mpg is as I haven't even really driven it yet as I'm waiting for my VW TDI to go back then I'll register the truck. I drove it up towards the ski resort near town and it did great uphill and lots of power (torque) which is why I really wanted it. The mpg benefits I think will come with highway driving.

Looks nice kmaintyre
I'm sure it will be great out on the road. Looking forward to hearing about your mileage.
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Looks nice kmaintyre
I'm sure it will be great out on the road. Looking forward to hearing about your mileage.
Russ
Not sure when I'll get a chance to do much driving until our trip to Baja Jan/Feb. but will let you know. I do have the 3.92 gears which won't help though.

I have a Hawk model on my Eco diesel. It has a side dinette, lift assist, gas stove and heater, 4 corner jacks, and dual batteries. Shipping weight was 1085#'s. It's a 2015 that I drove down to South Carolina to buy. On the way home i checked my mileage. I averaged 18-19 mpg all the way home to Colorado. I kept my speed between 65 mph and 70 mph depending on speed limit. It is a stock 2016 Laramie 4x4 except for the AT Coopers I installed. The suspension is a stock 4 corner air suspension. The truck drove and handled great.

Put a FWC Hawk on the Eco diesel. Handles great and good mileage. SC to CO averaged 18-19 mpg at 65-70 mph!

Attachments

• FWC2 - 1.jpg
    FWC2 - 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 160
I'm getting 18mpg at 70mph, I have a 2005 Hawk with rollover bed 3 way fridge and dual batteries. I just ordered the TLC air bag suspension for the rear as my truck has excessive squat and sway while going down the road. I'm hoping to lift the front and install 35's for more clearance, but worry about rubbing.

Billincamo said:
I have a Hawk model on my Eco diesel. It has a side dinette, lift assist, gas stove and heater, 4 corner jacks, and dual batteries. Shipping weight was 1085#'s. It's a 2015 that I drove down to South Carolina to buy. On the way home i checked my mileage. I averaged 18-19 mpg all the way home to Colorado. I kept my speed between 65 mph and 70 mph depending on speed limit. It is a stock 2016 Laramie 4x4 except for the AT Coopers I installed. The suspension is a stock 4 corner air suspension. The truck drove and handled great.
How does the air suspension hold up with the weight? The EcoDiesel's rated payload in your configuration is only around 1100-1200 lbs, so the dry camper takes up that. Fully loaded with one passenger you are probably pushing 1800 lbs payload. When I had an EcoDiesel the air suspension's off-road modes stopped working at 1600 lbs and the air suspension failed completely at 2000 lbs. Other than that it's a great truck. Fuel mileage unloaded was solid mid to high 20s on the highway and high teens towing a travel trailer.

kmcintyre said:
Not sure when I'll get a chance to do much driving until our trip to Baja Jan/Feb. but will let you know. I do have the 3.92 gears which won't help though.
With no ULSD in Baja how are you planning on working around this??

marc said:
With no ULSD in Baja how are you planning on working around this??
From what I can tell, Baja Norte has it. We're also going to carry extra fuel (10 gals) which should be good. I've read that using some non-ULSD isn't going to cause real issues but we'll try not to use it if we can avoid it.

The Eagle is a perfect size for me. I love how narrow it is, if the mirrors fit I'm good to go. I had to make a platform out of 2x4 and some plywood on top to make it clear the bedrails. I also put an steel mesh 5th wheel tailgate on back to serve as sort of a porch. So far I so good with this setup.

Attachments

• colorado Dixie & I June 2016 002 - Copy.jpg
    colorado Dixie & I June 2016 002 - Copy.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 145
jeromehdmc said:
The Eagle is a perfect size for me. I love how narrow it is, if the mirrors fit I'm good to go. I had to make a platform out of 2x4 and some plywood on top to make it clear the bedrails. I also put an steel mesh 5th wheel tailgate on back to serve as sort of a porch. So far I so good with this setup.
That's what I did too. I like it because it hides a bit more behind the cab than on my Dakota. I like having some space on the sides too. I'm going to make some little doors to keep stuff from flying out and right now we have chairs, etc. in there.

Back
Top Bottom