Mounting Recovery boards

vtarider65

Hello ,

My custom ordered hawk is due to arrive around mid-Oct 22 ,I'm in the process of figuring out my set up .
I ordered the roof with the Yakima tracks and racks .I was wondering if there was anyway to mount recovery boards (2)of them to my Yakima tracks on my roof for a few reasons; out of sight (less tempting to steal them)out of the way ,and do they make a locking mechanism for these? are there any alternatives to mount them out and be able to lock them if the roof isn't a option ?

Thanks for your help this website is a great resource !!

Dave

Not the best pic but you should get the idea. I just bolted some 1” square aluminum to the tracks and lash down the boards with two cam straps. I’ve been on thousands of miles of highway, 4X4 trails and haven’t lost one yet. I was going to use a bolt down type method but I found this actually quicker. If I need them I don’t undo the strap all the way and just slide them off the ends.

Attachments

• 32BED9DD-C532-4E18-B827-0BC27C5DE88D.jpeg
    32BED9DD-C532-4E18-B827-0BC27C5DE88D.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 192
I built my own rack so I just drilled a hole, put a bolt through it. Drilled another hole in the boards and done.

Not the best pic but I think you can get the idea.

This was pretty simple - 1.5"x1.5"x1/4" aluminum angle. Drilled for the layout of the Yakima tracks.
Excuse the finger in the closeup -
Easy enough to reach from the rear door.

Attachments

• FWC Top.jpg
    FWC Top.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 188
  • FWC Top 2.jpg
    FWC Top 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 203
I would support having them near a edge or accessible without having to climb up to get them. Just for thought, my general personal opinion is that high up or on a roof isn’t the best place for recovery boards if you actually need them. I used to think to myself, if I am stuck, maybe sinking or whatever mess, do I want to be climbing up onto the very rig I am trying to get out of that situation? Then when I took some courses at Overland Expo over the years, some top instructors kept saying the same things repeatedly. Don’t put them high up. Got four tires, carry four of them. They would say carrying two or just making them look cool is doing it wrong for when you really need them.

So I have 4 of them. I usually have them vertical on the back but can also mount on Toyota roof just ahead of the camper. Downside is they are up higher. Positive side if I put them there is they create a wind shield for that gap. Whenever I have something there blocking that gap, my mileage is better.

How often do folks use recovery boards and in what conditions ?

I am thinking I will buy 8 of them and carry along just to be sure.

David Graves

I carry two, and yes, they look cool if you can see them. They are On the roof of the camper, mostly out of sight. Not locked. I have never had to use them yet, but just knowing they are there is “using them” to reduce anxiety.

Thanks for all the input , ideas . 4 boards would take quite a bit of room , considering thats one of the main draw backs of a FWC ; minimal storage would be a understatement :rolleyes:

Anybody use folding recovery boards? One called GoTreads seems to use online advertising a lot which makes me somewhat skeptical about favorable comments from"independent" reviewers found online, but there is a review (probably paid) where they are compared to maxtrax.

Wildcat said:
Anybody use folding recovery boards? One called GoTreads seems to use online advertising a lot which makes me somewhat skeptical about favorable comments from"independent" reviewers found online, but there is a review (probably paid) where they are compared to maxtrax.
I have 2 Maxtrax as my primary recovery boards. I also added 2 GoTreads as backup boards in case I would ever actually need 4. The nice thing about them is they fold up into a nice small package that is much easier to manage and store than the big Maxtrax. They also make decent levelers, which is my primary use for them. The GoTreads somewhat conform to the ground since they are hinged, so that might be beneficial in certain terrain? However, I (fortunately) haven't had to use either the MaxTrax or GoTreads for actual recovery, so I don't have any first hand experience with the actual performance of either. My gut tells me that I wouldn't want to rely on only the GoTreads, but I have no real basis for that feeling - its probably just that I have more confidence in the Maxtrax since so many people have used them successfully. I do like having the GoTreads as backups and levelers though.

-Scott

Thanks for the introduction to the Go Treads! I had not look at that option. The reviews look good so far and I like the versatility they offer. I just ordered a set as they look like great levelers with a variety of hight options. And if I need to get unstuck, then I think they are better than nothing. Can't wait to try them out.

I carry two maxtraxs. I have never personally had to use them but I did lend them to someone else I encountered who was stuck in the snow on a trail.

I store them strapped to the hard wall behind the seat inside the cab of my taco truck.

heinphoto said:
I have 2 Maxtrax as my primary recovery boards. I also added 2 GoTreads as backup boards in case I would ever actually need 4. The nice thing about them is they fold up into a nice small package that is much easier to manage and store than the big Maxtrax. They also make decent levelers, which is my primary use for them. The GoTreads somewhat conform to the ground since they are hinged, so that might be beneficial in certain terrain? However, I (fortunately) haven't had to use either the MaxTrax or GoTreads for actual recovery, so I don't have any first hand experience with the actual performance of either. My gut tells me that I wouldn't want to rely on only the GoTreads, but I have no real basis for that feeling - its probably just that I have more confidence in the Maxtrax since so many people have used them successfully. I do like having the GoTreads as backups and levelers though.

-Scott
Hi Scott, tell me more about the GoTreads as levelers. I like the combo purpose and small storage footprint of that option. How have they held up? How long have you have you used them for levelers? Cheers, Dave

AdventureDave said:
Hi Scott, tell me more about the GoTreads as levelers. I like the combo purpose and small storage footprint of that option. How have they held up? How long have you have you used them for levelers? Cheers, Dave
You just leave them folded, which gives you about 3" of height. I suppose you could stack another set on top for additional height, but we usually get close enough that 3" typically works for us. There is a little section that acts as a ramp when backing on. We had been using the orange Lynx leveling blocks and still carry few of those in case we need additional height.

We have used them as levelers for at least a year and they have held up well. They are a little wider than the Lynx, so it is a easier to back up on them. I also find they don't sink into the ground as easily as the Lynx. Small stones can get stuck in the channels, but they are easy to remove, unlike the Lynx where the stones can actually break them. Interstingly, we often find spiders, etc. in the channels when we pack them up, so we have to be careful when stowing them.

GoTreads as Levelers-640.jpg

-Scott

CraggyMan said:
This was pretty simple - 1.5"x1.5"x1/4" aluminum angle. Drilled for the layout of the Yakima tracks.
Excuse the finger in the closeup -
Easy enough to reach from the rear door.
Love this idea for my 2 MaxTrax boards. Very simple and lightweight. I have a similar set up with Yakima rails on my Hawk. 3 Q's: 1. Still easy to pop your roof up? 2. What are the hex head screws called 3. What size are they? Looks like the holes in my rail receiver clips are 3/16". Thanks for posting!

PopArch said:
Love this idea for my 2 MaxTrax boards. Very simple and lightweight. I have a similar set up with Yakima rails on my Hawk. 3 Q's: 1. Still easy to pop your roof up? 2. What are the hex head screws called 3. What size are they? Looks like the holes in my rail receiver clips are 3/16". Thanks for posting!
I just took the nuts that slide inside the Yakima tracks down to the hardware store and found some SS hex head bolts that fit the threads. Can't remember but seemed they are a bit finer thread that regular machine bolts. I also used a SS lock washer.
and be careful with selecting the lenght as you don't want to bottom out the bolt.
We recently added the 2nd solar panel and now with the Max Trax the roof is hard enough for us to raise that I now use the speaker stand all the time. Before the Max Trax we rarely used it.

Back
Top Bottom