Mounting solar-panel carrier under cabover

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I think I've posted similar before, and I know I've seen photos of a similar arrangement...but maybe someone(s) could humor me and help my ignorance anyway
tongue.gif

(2005 FWC Hawk)
Where in this part (photo below) of the front of the camper-cabin -- above the front window -- is there frame? That is, where would it be possible for me to mount (drill holes, use bolts) an aluminum angle (horizontally, parallel to the ribs in the skin) that would be the back part of a rack to carry my (detached) solar panel?

cabover-rear_cabin-front.jpg

The front hanger/part of the carrier (a channel) will be attached to the front-bottom of the cabover, bolted through the wood.
Or would it be best to mount the back half of the rack to the cabover-underside, too? The two angles/channels will be parallel to the front of the camper so that the PV panel is slid in from the side.

Thanks for any help.
smile.gif

(Why do I wait until 2 weeks before a big trip to tackle camper-tasks that have been on my list for over 6 months?
rolleyes.gif
)

UPDATE: Ok I found this post/photo. Any other similar out there or more detail suggestions?
Thanks.

Why [/i]do I wait until 2 weeks before a big trip to tackle camper-tasks that have been on my list for over 6 months?
rolleyes.gif
)

........it's our nature?

........it's our nature?

smile.gif
Well, it sure is mine, anyway...it's a wonder that I kept my job for >32 years until I quit by choice!

Can you post some photos of your setup when you are finished? I can not decide what to do with that space.

Will do...and thanks for the vote of confidence that I will finish! :D
(My fall-back option if I don't get to it in the next 2 weeks is to carry the panel inside the camper in it's cardboard shipping box, as I've done so far...and you probably won't want a photo of that. ;))

Will do...and thanks for the vote of confidence that I will finish! :D
(My fall-back option if I don't get to it in the next 2 weeks is to carry the panel inside the camper in it's cardboard shipping box, as I've done so far...and you probably won't want a photo of that. ;))

Mack I find if I need to know where the frame members are i go to the FWC/ATC site and they used to have a camper without the skin to show how they are built.Might help good luck.

Frank

As I reengage with the problem today -- remeasure, reconsider...I'm now thinking that I'll attach the front and back carrier brackets both from the underside of the caboverhang, so that will be very-much like how Eldough did it, shown in his photo:

index.php

The reason why I'm a little constrained in mounting is that my PV panel is 31.125" wide and the caboverhang is 32" wide -- not a lot of extra room for options. So I have to mount the angles (or channel -- I have both options...I bought a nice selection of 1/8" extruded aluminum stock from "Onlinemetals.com") into which the panel will slide to/under the very-front and very-back of the caboverhang.
I think that dropping down bolts from inside the overhang (under the bed) will be more-straightforward for a guy like me with limited experience/knowledge/tools in metal-work.

As I reengage with the problem today -- remeasure, reconsider...I'm now thinking that I'll attach the front and back carrier brackets both from the underside of the caboverhang, so that will be very-much like how Eldough did it, shown in his photo:

index.php

The reason why I'm a little constrained in mounting is that my PV panel is 31.125" wide and the caboverhang is 32" wide -- not a lot of extra room for options. So I have to mount the angles (or channel -- I have both options...I bought a nice selection of 1/8" extruded aluminum stock from "Onlinemetals.com") into which the panel will slide to/under the very-front and very-back of the caboverhang.
I think that dropping down bolts from inside the overhang (under the bed) will be more-straightforward for a guy like me with limited experience/knowledge/tools in metal-work.

Mark I think you have chosen the best method.It's easier to mount through the bed/overhang,trying to find the frame members can be a pain, also there may be some wiring there.It takes some searching but Les "lqhikers" did a slide out panel but his just stayed mounted to the camper.

Frank

I used carriage bolts to mount my frame to the bottom of the overhang. If you use 1.5 or 2 inch aluminum angle there should be enough room to mount to the overhang without getting into the aluminum camper frame. Check that there is enough clearance so the junction box isn't a problem. I run a bolt through the mount and the side lip of the PV panel so it doesn't move while traveling.

I think that is a solid idea!

Mark I think you have chosen the best method.It's easier to mount through the bed/overhang,trying to find the frame members can be a pain, also there may be some wiring there.It takes some searching but Les "lqhikers" did a slide out panel but his just stayed mounted to the camper.
Frank

I used carriage bolts to mount my frame to the bottom of the overhang. If you use 1.5 or 2 inch aluminum angle there should be enough room to mount to the overhang without getting into the aluminum camper frame. Check that there is enough clearance so the junction box isn't a problem. I run a bolt through the mount and the side lip of the PV panel so it doesn't move while traveling.

I think that is a solid idea!
Thanks, guys! OK I'll start on this tomorrow.
smile.gif

(The only item that's higher on my "must/really-should" list before I head out again is to figure out why my truck in-dash after-market sound-system has started to suddenly go dead and then come to life again a few hours or days later -- loose power-lead? Gotta figure out how to undo the hidden clips that hold it into the dash...installed it myself, but that was 3+ years ago
huh.gif
)

(Why do I wait until 2 weeks before a big trip to tackle camper-tasks that have been on my list for over 6 months?
rolleyes.gif
)

UPDATE: Ok I found this post/photo. Any other similar out there or more detail suggestions?
Thanks.

Your not alone. May be it's because we're getting the camper out and just start to think about the project.

Back
Top Bottom