Multiple gas line failures at tank, common problem?

snowman

Has anyone else had issues with the gas line between their propane tank and the regulator? The hose that came in our used hawk started to leak about a week after we got it and I replaced it with a good quality 18" hose (made in USA) and it started leaking in the same spot where the hose meets the tank after only one month. My concern is that I may be using the wrong length of line or orienting the tank such that it is kinking and causing the leak. Is 18" correct? I had the hose coming of the tank pointed left but have found pics of people orienting it pointing to the right.

Mine looks like so:

Possibly less of a kink with orienting the tank like so?:
vehicle-2016-Used-Four-Wheel-Campers-HAWK-POP-UP-Truck-Camper-in-Utah-UT-5000967002-5a25f90b4b62e5089f4bd1a7.jpg

I'm considering a longer line and putting a loop in it, or a short line facing straight back (might be a pain to switch tanks but would have no bend). I haven't found anything online that looks to be a better quality hose than what I've got i.e. a braided steel line that looks well made.

I did check the line with both tanks, the tank off my bbq and with some fresh grease on the O rings and it still leaked so I think it's safe to say the tanks are not contributing to the problem.

Not sure if this problem is operator error or what but any input is much appreciated!

Has anyone else had issues with the gas line between their propane tank and the regulator? The hose that came in our used hawk started to leak about a week after we got it and I replaced it with a good quality 18" hose (made in USA) and it started leaking in the same spot where the hose meets the tank after only one month. My concern is that I may be using the wrong length of line or orienting the tank such that it is kinking and causing the leak. Is 18" correct? I had the hose coming of the tank pointed left but have found pics of people orienting it pointing to the right.

Mine looks like so:

tank1.jpg

Possibly less of a kink with orienting the tank like so?:
tank2.jpg

I'm considering a longer line and putting a loop in it, or a short line facing straight back (might be a pain to switch tanks but would have no bend). I haven't found anything online that looks to be a better quality hose than what I've got i.e. a braided steel line that looks well made.

I did check the line with both tanks, the tank off my bbq and with some fresh grease on the O rings and it still leaked so I think it's safe to say the tanks are not contributing to the problem.

Not sure if this problem is operator error or what but any input is much appreciated!

Snowman....not much help but in our '16 Hawk the tank and line are oriented like your second photo...valve pointing to right and slightly forward...

Very helpful, Thanks! Our problem may be simple as that. Any idea whether you have an 18" line?

Very helpful, Thanks! Our problem may be simple as that. Any idea whether you have an 18" line?

Will check today on length of FWC line and let you know....I also installed a gauge in between tank and line but that is new....

FYI...re-reading your post...did you try using soapy water to look for bubbles? From your description is sounds like the connect between hose and tank valve is what is leaking...another FYI...static O-rings [ones that do not move is use] should not be "greased" as you described, light, light silicon film only....otherwise you can bulge a lubed O-ring and lose the seal..

Lastly my experience is with Hp dive cylinders [air and mixed gases] and we never use any combustible lube on tank threads, valves or O-rings....hence, silicon lube...with propane I don't know the correct protocol.

Wallowa said:
Will check today on length of FWC line and let you know....I also installed a gauge in between tank and line but that is new....
From regulator to plug [which attaches to tank valve] is about 18 inches like yours...

Our 2015 Hawk seems to have 18” line with tank oriented as shown in pic. No problems since new.

Attachments

• 42199188-3CA0-4847-A41B-46DA9CFE89AD.jpeg
    42199188-3CA0-4847-A41B-46DA9CFE89AD.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 73
Looks like the regulator in the video is on the opposite wall of the cabinet and the cylinder is shifted to the opposite wall as well, meaning I probably have it turned the wrong way? Although fuzzymarindave hasn't had trouble with that orientation. Any ideas on other issues that might cause excessive pressure and blow hose out? A bad regulator? Over pressurized tank? My knowledge on gas systems is pretty limited.

My neighbor is a firefighter and mentioned not greasing O2 o ring, hopefully that doesn't apply to propane. The propane itself is combustible so my guess is it's probably alright? I'm probably going to replace the o rings anyways as they seem fairly flattened out and that would help rule out a failure point in the system.

I'll be headed to the shop tomorrow afternoon and getting the camper out this weekend so hopefully I can get it nailed down and it will stay fixed!

The not using combustible grease on gas connections advice is specific to oxygen connections. In a near-pure oxygen environment, stuff that is marginally combustible in air burns rapidly. Beyond that, the type of o-ring material may limit the lubricants from a material compatibility standpoint.

Jon R said:
The not using combustible grease on gas connections advice is specific to oxygen connections. In a near-pure oxygen environment, stuff that is marginally combustible in air burns rapidly. Beyond that, the type of o-ring material may limit the lubricants from a material compatibility standpoint.

All true...no bigee, simply buy silicon food grade lube [in a tube and squeezed out]...such a lube is used on oxygen or oxygen rich gas mixtures [Nitrox for example] and we used on all SCUBA or surfaced supplied dive equipment...again, don't over lube an o-ring or they can extrude and you will lose the seal...lastly, while the o-rings are indeed round, under gas pressure they flatten against the sealing surfaces, it is this flatten surface that seals....yes, if your o-rings are distorted, nicked or cracked replace them, they are cheap and easy to replace..

Snowman, did you spray soapy water on the connections while they are under pressure to look for leaks [bubbles/fizz]?

Back
Top Bottom