MV-50 compressor check-valve?

Bosque Bill

The MV-50 type air compressor seemed to be a widely-used, low-priced, fairly reliable unit so I ordered one on-line. Parts of it seem a little flimsy, but it should work for basic tire inflation, etc.

My question: is there not a check-valve or something to provide a similar function? When I attach the hose to a tire valve, air flows out of the tire back through the compressor. Is this normal or did I get a lemon?

If I remember right, the instructions say to start the compressor before attaching to the tire valve. Anyway, that's what I do when I use the compressor. If you start it up first, does it inflate the tire normally?

No one else want to chip in?

Does air from your tires flow back through the compressor when you switch it off (or first attach it)?

highz: it does seem to inflate correctly. Do you leave the compressor running as you unscrew the hose, too?

Mr. Bosque, I get a little leakage as I secure the hose to the valve stem. It stops when I pop the latch over and lock it on. I turn the compressor on and air up my tire. I quickly remove the hose to minimize leakage. That how mine works.

Internally it should have a reed valve to stop reverse flow. There should actually be two of them, one in the inlet and another on the discharge. Search the pages on hopping up these compressors (there's one that I know of on Expo and it's far from the only one) and you'll find pictures of these reed valves.

I've never hooked either of mine to a tire w/o it running first, so I don't know if mine will seal or not.

Thanks for the additional comments.

ski3pin: my compressor has a threaded connector for the tire valve, so I can't quickly pop it off. But the leakage I'm talking about is while I'm connected. The air goes back through the compressor.

ntsqd: thanks for explaining the mechanism. I'm guessing whichever reed valve is supposed to stop reverse flow isn't working very well.

I guess I'm trying to determine if this is just endemic to this brand of compressor or if I need to send it back. Maybe I just need to keep it running all the time, though even cheaper compressors I've used in the past didn't have this issue.

highz: it does seem to inflate correctly. Do you leave the compressor running as you unscrew the hose, too?

I do leave the compressor running until the line is removed.

No one else want to chip in?

Does air from your tires flow back through the compressor when you switch it off (or first attach it)?

For when you first attach it, it depends on if the compressor is on or off. If its off, air will flow back. I upgrade to new, longer hose and chuck and disconnect.

Thanks highz (though I wish you had a handle that the spell checker wouldn't keep changing to "highs." )

Thanks super doody, sounds like my compressor is working the same as yours. I may well upgrade as you have and longer power cord, too, maybe with better clips.

Back
Top Bottom