My new ride, 300 miles for about $4.80

Yeah,I should be doing more joy riding, in the truck. It too gets driven about 3,000 miles/year. That's the one I'm trying to put the miles on.

About 15 years ago at a Fiat rally I saw an old 500 that had been converted to electric. The builder drove it from Portland to Ashland on one charge. All you heard as he flew around the racecourse were squealing tires. He also brought an electric scooter, the kind you stand on. It went about 10 miles per hour and the kids loved it. I think it was driven by a windshield wiper motor, something about the size of your fist. Not much range, but it would scare you sober.

What would really be good for me is an electric 4WD SUV (think Subaru) with a 200 mile range.

What would really be good for me is an electric 4WD SUV (think Subaru) with a 200 mile range.

Toyota's new RAV4 with running gear built by Tesla goes 140 miles which is pretty good, allows fast DC charging but comes in 2wd drive only. With plenty of ground clearance and some dirt road experience it can take you to some nice places.

Attachments

• 2014-Chevrolet-SparkEV-Label-medium.jpg
    2014-Chevrolet-SparkEV-Label-medium.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 80
Toyota's new RAV4 with running gear built by Tesla goes 140 miles which is pretty good, allows fast DC charging but comes in 2wd drive only. With plenty of ground clearance and some dirt road experience it can take you to some nice places.

but we need 4wd with snow tires to make it through chain control to get home.

Is that front or rear wheel drive?

I happened to be at a mall that had a Tesla showroom. I had to take a look after seeing this thread. WOW! Nice ride for sure. Sure is a lot of room when the there is no engines, drive trains, etc. Leather all over was nice. This would be one electric car I'd drive for sure... At least it's got some range.

I just read the review of this car in the current issue of Consumers Reports (July 2013). A very impressive car. 4.4 cents per mile cost and $8.87 for a 200 mile trip. CR gives it an equivalent of 84 mpg. On top of all that just being an incredible vehicle. It makes me dream of a small truck like ours powered with a powerful electric power plant that can be recharged with solar panels. Gene, thanks for buying one of these. If this new technology is not supported, we can never hope for change.

Yes, thank you. To describe what this car is like on a long trip, all I can say it is as quiet as your bedroom in the early morning, but with extraordinary power, handling, and comfort. Using TOU metering, it costs me $4.80 per 280 miles of driving. Solar panels arriving July 5th will make it free to drive. I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow and looking forward to it. The Superchargers which charge in 20 minutes are popping up all over the country. I am particularly excited to see that by end of summer the Owens Valley will be well covered with chargers at Pearsonville, Independence, and Bishop: interactive map here, be sure to slide button at base of map: http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

About a truck? The amazing torque and 4wd drive system using two 300 hp motors is ideal. 500 to 1000 mile battery, and a truck is likely on its way from Tesla, but that's not until after a couple of SUV's and another sedan. Say 3 to 4 years. I'll be at the Tesla engineering division with my son this Friday. Sworn to secrecy.

Hey guys, now that Tesla is actually giving people a choice and being very succesful at it, the big auto companies, dealers and oil companies are attempting to "outlaw" Tesla cars in many states. What America needs is innovation to be supported, not supressed. Consider signing this:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-tesla-motors-sell-directly-consumers-all-50-states/bFN7NHQR

which will require a response from the White House.

Also, here is a trip, exactly the type I have always enjoyed, only this time electrifying! http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/entry.php/107-To-Boldly-Go-Where-No-EV-Has-Gone-Before

Gene,in this mornings paper there was a story about the petition.It got the 100K signatures needed for the white house.In reading the story I see where the dealers association are one of the groups against selling the cars direct from the maker.
Hope the petition gets some steam and people realize that there needs to be competition in the market.
Frank

I have a stupid question?

Is there AC in the car? Was on the website and it says climate control but nothing about AC

Was wondering how they handled cooling?

Jim

Hello Jim,

Yes, the car has airconditioning. Manufacturers of most cars have been calling it "climate control" for many years now as it means thermostatically controlled heating/AC. AC is very cold and heat very warm. Either consume very little power.

That is pretty cool. I would have imagined the AC would be tough on battery life but then again I am sure there is a mad scientist that has figured it out so that it is an effective heating and cooling source.

There is a lady in the next town over that has one. It is a sweet ride! Pictures do it no justice. Congrats on the purchase.

We saw one out on the road, making a loop in the mountains. Wish I could remember exactly where we saw it. It was only a couple of days ago.We hope that seeing vehicles like this will become more commonplace and less of a novelty.

The novelty wears off quickly. In my town of Ventura we have 6. In Santa Barbara just to our north there are 37 registered. I have to go to LA, SF and Orange County from time to time. In these places there are literally thousands and you see them constantly. One day on my way to Newport Beach I bothered to take a count. I saw 23.

Superchargers which fully give you back 200 miles of charge in 20 to 30 minutes are being built to blanket USA within a year and a half.By winter, east and west coast will be connected. All my favorite places are getting them fast including up Hwy 395. Anne and I plan to do a raod trip up to BC and southern Yukon next summer. All for free and all on solar driven chargers.

oh yeah, and the $30k car is coming is less than 2 years! Then its a 2nd SUV and then a 1/2 ton truck and Van.

This is a bit outdated, but is one of our favorite documentaries, yup we have a DVD copy -
Who Killed the Electric Car?
it is pretty evenhanded and tells the story about the last go round with electric vehicles in California. One of the reasons I'm so pleased with the come back and especially the success with Testa Motors.

We have ridden the dinosaur for far too long.

Have you seen, "The Revenge fo the Electric Car"?. It is dated as well but very good.

National Geographic did a film about not the car but the Tesla factory as it is one of the USA's most advanced factories.
I can tell you that National Geographic only touches the tip of the iceberg in this film as too much behind the scenes are industry secrets. My son who is an engineering student and I were invited by one of the chief engineers to spend some time and sworn to secrecy behind the locked doors. OMG, the things we saw makes the Nat. Geo. film look like child's play.

Also Consumer Reports: "The very best car we have ever tested, not the best electric car, but the best car ever".
Video:

As for the 30k car. I see ford has made an electric focus. The new body is pretty sharp looking.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Yes, the Focus is a great looking car. Problem is it only goes 80 miles and takes several hours to recharge. Teslas range including in the new "Gen III" is 250 miles with a 25 minute charge. Tesla is the only car to charge off a 240 dryer outlet. No need to be a charger for your garage. Best of the current electrics , outside of the Tesla, is the Nissan Leaf which can be purchased at $19k after rebates and the Fiat 500E at the same price. Fiat has already sold out a year in advance! I've driven the Leaf, it is ugly but such a nice car that the looks have grown on me.

These Fiat ads are very funny:

Back
Top Bottom