My northern Baja trip this January

geoffff

I went on a northern Baja road trip at the beginning of this month. (I guess Baja qualifies as western (North) America, and I see others posting about Baja, so...)

I started this trip with lots of internet research for places to investigate -- to track down ruins, petroglyphs, secluded beaches. As it turned out when I got down there, I also got some advice along the way. As you can see, my trip was through the Laguna Salada area, down the gulf coast through San Felipe & Puertecitos, again down that coast southeast of Bahía de los Angeles, and finally a peek at the Pacific coast near Bahía Santa Rosalillita. (After that I just cruised home on pavement north to Ensenada & over to Tecate.)

I've included my photos and GPS coordinates in the story: Baja 2009

-- Geoff

Smb

Geoff,

I believe everyone is welcome!

I like your camper. The more I look at SMBs, the more I like them! I think I'll start saving my pennies in anticipation of replacing my current unit with an equivalent SMB after my truck wears out...

How about a few more pics? :D

SB

Great trip

Looked like a great trip. Don't know many people that have been to el barril. I go to that white house with the blue tile dome every summer, belongs to family friend. Some of he most isolated and interesting areas in Baja. Any new military checkpoints or policia encounters on your trip?

Welcome fellow traveler

Geoff, finally someone else with a Sportsmobile. I to have a Sportsmobile and live just a little farther to the west of you. I'm from Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula. So welcome aboard! I have followed your trip reports from the first time I had read one. Always very informative and inspiring...:thumb:

Yeah, I didn't really make it clear that I had photos on the linked site. Edited...

Good to meet you Sportsmobiler captainkettel!

Looked like a great trip. Don't know many people that have been to el barril. I go to that white house with the blue tile dome every summer, belongs to family friend. Some of he most isolated and interesting areas in Baja. Any new military checkpoints or policia encounters on your trip?

This one...? (a crop from photo)

white-house-blue-tile.jpg

No, nothing new. I've actually never had any personal policia encounters (knock on wood), and the military checkpoints -- I kind of lose track of them, there are so many -- but they were pretty much as I remember my last time in Baja.

Thats the house

Yeap thats the one, its called La Mancha. All of those houses are owned by people from So. Cal. You probably passed the dirt landing strip on your way into El Barril. There is also a co-op garden which is sponsored by the owner of the white house. There are a group of UCSD students who come down and maintain the garden and teach sustainable farming to the people of El Barril. I know almost everyone at the fishcamp, love that place!!!! There is some fantastic fishing and lobster diving right around the fishcamp as well. Glad you had a great time!!

Back
Top Bottom