My Porta Potti Solution

Adventurebound

Hawk Shell owner here, really wanted the Thetford Cassete Toilet but unfortunately its not an option on the Shell model. So here goes my "system"

IMG_20180416_193734.jpg
Thats the last thing I want to see when opening the door.

IMG_20180416_194248.jpg
Whats inside you might ask?

Attachments

• IMG_20180416_193938.jpg
    IMG_20180416_193938.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 285
When I camp with others... they are mostly in RTT's or tents. They see my porta potti and get jealous (especially the ladies ;) That said I like the setup you have made... wish I had the skills :(

That is a slick set up. I am going to try to do something similar in the storage cabinet on my Front Dinette model.

Outstanding!

A bit of desert sand combined with dragging the Thetford out of the cubby has made a mess of our vinyl floor. My wife wants a new floor - 'cause she doesn't like the color/design :) I was able to defend my "Don't Want To" position by pointing out the scratches.

Now, as usual, I have no defense to offer.

shellback said:
Do you have to lift it off the slide to use it?
No. It's mounted on the slides (with a small modification to the mounting bracket). This photo might be a better representation. Obviously the rear door would be closed for use.
IMG_20180417_205235.jpg

Adventurebound said:
No. It's mounted on the slides (with a small modification to the mounting bracket). This photo might be a better representation. Obviously the rear door would be closed for use.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20180417_205235.jpg
Great idea, but a little too late as mine is built. Not only is the porta potty hidden, you can take advantage to the counter top surface above it.

Where did you get the wood to match the rest of the camper? Great job BTW...looks factory.

Have porta-potti will travel. A decent porta-potti was the one requirement my Wife had when we decided to purchase our Hawk. 20180317_134753.jpg

The wood looks that AdvBound used "looks" like the Home Depot Maple Plywood they sell. I think they refer to it as Purebond. I might be wrong to. Turned out very nice. Like others said, wish I had the skills to make it that nice.

Looks good, but I'm still in favor of the folding toilet seat (not the bucket) and double seal bag method. It takes up almost no room and can still be used inside the camper if going outside is not an option. The bags are not cheap but it sure beats dumping out a smelly porta potty. I have a folding privacy tent that we use with the outside shower and toilet when we are not totally isolated from view.

So to answer a couple questions.

Yes, the wood used is pre-finished "maple" plywood found at Home Depot. Not a perfect match but pretty darn close.

As far as smell. We have had these style porta potti's in sail boats for years. As long as you replace them every few years no smell at all (the seals get old). I've rebuilt one before but at only around $100 for a new one it's not worth it.

Height - perfect! I'm 6'4" wife is 5'10"

Back
Top Bottom