Naming a camper

marty

A Great Guy
So many campers not enough names. We have named all our campers after large north american cats. Since we are currently looking for a new name for our next new model I have an idea. I have three or four bottels of wine (do not know the flavors) left over from my house warming. I would be willing to ship them for the right new name. Any takers please reply here. Thanks for all replys. Marty

My vote is for catamount, with puma as a second choice. Catamount is a New England name for a mountain lion - might help in marketing far east of the rockies. I really do think there would be great interest in ATCs & FWCs in northern New England and far eastern Canada (eastern Quebec, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland). Vermont is a lot like the Willamette valley in Oregon in outlook. There are catamounts in Maine, but the last verified sighting in Vermont was in the 1800s. However, there have been recent sightings in Vermont that, while not fully verified, do suggest that the catamounts may really have returned.

apparently, the Jaguar, Jaguarundi, and Ocelot are found in the extreme south of Texas too. You have my vote for any of the six. If I win some wine, just hold it until I order my Robertcat, oops Bobcat in October.

How about Expo. That was the name of my cat. She caught a mouse or gopher almost everyday. :D

Seriously though, what size is this new camper; what truck(s) will it ride on?

Savannah

The Savannah, a cross between an African Serval and a domestic cat (Ok, partially home grown), is a tall, lanky cat with solid spots over a basecoat. Occasionally there will be black or white colorations. "Kinda like an All Terrain."

Due to their attenuated height and length, Savannahs will appear to be much heavier than they actually are. "Sounds like a All Terrain."

While the Savannah has existed since the mid-1990’s, most still carry a high percentage of wild blood. "Sounds like a All Terrain."

Good luck,

Darryl

Jaguars do rarely crossed the border into New Mexico, and we get ocelots, too. If it's a smaller model, Ocelot or Lynx would be good name.

Since you already use "Panther" and "Cougar", which are both names for the mountain lion, Catamount and Puma would fit that pattern.

There is the Margay cat, which is a small ocelot-like cat. Doesn't quite have the lean, mean ring to the name, though.

Along with all the other names already mentioned, that's all the wild cats in N. America to my knowledge.

How about a generic "wildcat"? Alums from U. Arizona, Kentucky, Kansas State and more might be interested ...

Why stay with felines? Wolverine for a mid size, Grizzly for a larger model (flat bed or built on type). Raptor (to break in on FWC names) might be a possibility. If you gotta stay with cats, Jaguar or Catamount.

The information below is from a web site on pedigreed cats. Here is only a partial list. These are names that could be classified as American registered breeds. Only 2 percent of cats are registered. The advantage of a pedigreed cat is their kittens are more predictable as to how they will mature in size and disposition. There is a wide range of domestic cat names. Many of them are cats that can and do live in the wild too.

I can see a whole line of campers named "American", for example "American Manx". I also like just plain "Manx". The name "Domestic" can be put in front of any cat name, either wild or tame and could reflect the way the camper is fitted out. I like the name "Snowshoe" for a camper designed for winter use. I like the name "Kitten".

If you choose to use any of my suggestion, please keep the wine and share it at one of the Wander the West outings.

American Bobtail
American Curl
American Shorthair
American Wirehair
Chartreux
Colorpoint Shorthair
Cymric (Longhair Manx)
Maine Coon
Manx
Munchkin
Ragdoll
Snowshoe
Sphynx

All cats are members of the family "Felidea", which split from the other mammals at least 40,000,000 years ago, making it one of the oldest mammalian families. All cats share certain characteristics that are unique to the cat family.

Cats are pure carnivores. They need a high level of protein in their diets - around 30% - and lack the digestive equipment to do well on a diet of grains, fruits or vegetables. They are designed to live from hunting mammals, with powerful jaws, long, sharp teeth, claws that draw back into their paws when not in use, exceptionally acute hearing, and eyes adapted for vision in dim light for hunting just before dawn and just after dusk, the prime hunting periods.

Why limit yourself to extant big cats? North America has been home to some amazing big cats including Felis Atrox, the North American Lion. Imagine an African Lion of today, but 900 lbs (African Lions top out at around 300). There was also Miracynox jubatas, the North American Cheetah, again twice as large as their extant African cousins, who hunted pronghorns (nothing alive today in North America can catch a pronghorn-except of course man with a rifled bullet) on the Arizona Strip till 20,000 years ago. Felis Concolor (puma, mountain lion etc) is actually a descendant of the now extinct North American Cheetah. Then there are the Smilidons, the Sabertoothed cats, and of course the Cave Lions. There are also the Marsupial big "cats" like Thylacosmilus who evolved into cat like forms in the absence of placental mammals. Sorry Marty I'm just a zoology geek- BS in Zoology from Northern Arizona University.

Good thinking imix. Adding extinct cat names to the pool for Marty to choose from makes the list sufficiently large to include new camper models for the next five hundred years.

The concept of using cat names is excellent.

Might I suggest some other large predators: bears.

You can add grizzly, black, brown, cub, kodiak, polar, etc.

post some pics, Marty!

SB

no pics

Scott, Unfortunatly for us here at atc thier is no high speed internet within a half mile. comcast has a main office four blocks away and nothing for us. I have decided to get high speed at home in the near future and then I should be posting photos. Our shop must be in some kind of hole in the globe. I sometimes try to make smoke signals but I never get any replys. Have a good day. Marty

Read "travels with Charley in Search of America" that is a great name for a camper!

Back
Top Bottom