Naming a camper

Scott, Unfortunatly for us here at atc thier is no high speed internet within a half mile. comcast has a main office four blocks away and nothing for us. I have decided to get high speed at home in the near future and then I should be posting photos...

Marty,

I posted nearly 200 photos for one trip report using dial-up. A bit of a marathon but five pics for a post shouldn't be a big problem.

If you do get to the place you can post some pics. a few of renovating an older FWC (I think you guys did at least one Grandby and one Keystone) to fit the newer PU's would be appreciated!

Happy Trails!
'birds

Duane (of Alaska Snowbirds),

Marty and his buddies are too busy building campers to wait on dial up internet to send very many pictures. I am lucky enough to own the Keystone they renovated and modified to fit a later model pickup.

The work that Marty and his guys did on my camper made it virtually new. They built a new floor pac for the camper. In addition, there were many other repairs and upgrades, for example the boot was replaced with new.

I can send you pictures of my renovated Keystone. I have the time and a high speed connection, so tell me what you would like to see. My camper is now several years old since it was renovated. We will be in Colorado with it soon. I don't know if we will have internet or not this trip. I want to buy an iPhone this year but don't know if I can get that done or not. I am checking with my cell service provider later today. If I have internet in my camper this summer, we could stay in contact and figure out where to meet you somewhere out west. You, or any other interested party, could have a look.

If you can get Marty and his guys to work on your camper, you will be happy with it.

These older campers are made so they can be worked on. The original designer and builder was a genius in the RV business. He went from building the campers popular in this forum to North Carolina where he built the Tiger Motorhome with Provan Industries. It is very interesting that the current Tiger has a moulding around the cab overhang that looks exactly like the older Four Wheel Campers (FWC). Marty and his crew are building a retro version of the original FWC that retains the simplicity and repairability of the original.

New FWCs also retain much of the original simplicity as well. I think they are known to provide rebuilds for their customers. I would imagine the problem with either of these outfits, ATC or FWC, would be getting them to work on an older unit because they are busy with new projects. This is a cottage industry, so it is impractical for production to expand very much. It is something like building plywood boats. The design is not suited to mass production.

John D

Duane (of Alaska Snowbirds)...I can send you pictures of my renovated Keystone. I have the time and a high speed connection, so tell me what you would like to see...John D

John,

Thanks for the offer. I don't want to hijack Marty's thread here but will just mention that what I was thinking of was pics of the actual renovation process, not so much the finished product...I'm curious about what frame modifications are necessary and how they were handled (i.e. were verticals replaced or was it just necessary to widen/narrow horizontal tube?), any "utility" relocations (water/electric) that were necessary and, if it was necessary to narrow the floor, how the widening of the upper horizontal plywood and it's connection to the vertical ply was handled, etc.

Dogspit did a rework on his Grandby too and he has said he'll post pics sometime (I'm sure he's busy this time of year too).

We'll be in Alaska until at least August and probably later at the rate I'm getting the siding on the house so a summer meeting would be tough.

I'm in no hurry yet anyway...just curious. I'd like to get an older FWC and renovate it for use as a dedicated off-road rig someday but have no time for it now.

Marty...sorry for jumping in here.:eek:

To try and get things back on track, a thought (maybe not a great one) on camper names that goes along with what Scott mentioned, California had the Golden Bear, Canada/Alaska have the Glacier Bear and Polar Bear. Sometimes Brown/Grizzly/Kodiak are referred to as "The Big Fur" here in AK:p Good luck with the new name!

Happy Trails,
'birds

Considering they're in CA, I really like Golden Bear. Could take a snapshot at the fair of a golden bear and put in on the camper.

Considering they're in CA, I really like Golden Bear. Could take a snapshot at the fair of a golden bear and put in on the camper.

I like it but I'm sticking with Ben. Call it a tribute.

Attachments

• Gentle Ben copy.jpg
    Gentle Ben copy.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 232
How About "Felix" after Felix the wonderful cat cartoon character? You could probably add the cartoon drawing to the side of the camper.

I'm not one for names but model numbers, Like the H&K MP5, Winchester 94, Colt 1911, Yaesu FT-101EE, FT-857D, etc.

Maybe start a new line like ATC Model ATC1 for Small Trucks, ATC1.5 for 1/2 tons, ATC2 for 3/4 tons, ATC3 for 1 ton. You could even add an X for Extended Overhead Bed or S for Shortbed, ie ATC2XS, ATC model 2 extended overhead bed for shortbed

Just an idea.

Other ideas,

Sportsman
Fisherman
Hunter
Weekender
Part Timer
Full Timer
Wanderer

Then you could hit the Indian Names

Scout
Brave
Warrior
Chief
War Chief

Just a few more ideas off the top of my head.

Good luck

What if you have running boards?

I think if you have running boards "Noble Lion" would be the best name.

lights

Running boards would not alarm me unless they have lights on them.
We use Cougar, Panther,Bobcat,Puma,Linx and thanks to Outerspace Ocelot is more than likely going to be our new flagship. Marty

I think if you have running boards "Noble Lion" would be the best name.

Uh, how about "Future Body Damage".

Back
Top Bottom