Need Anza trip advice ASAP: Full size truck w/ FWC

PacificExposure

Advanced Member
Hi all! I've ventured into Anza Borrego since I was a little kid and have explored many of the easily accessible spots and some more difficult terrain. I was out last week solo with my F150 and Hawk camper, came in through Oriflame Canyon, camped up the Yaquis wash, and witnessed some amazing blooms and little crowds mid week, but my wife and I were planning on going again this weekend, but would like to get away from the inevitable crowds if at all possible.

Has anyone with a full size truck and FWC ever ventured up Lower Coyote Canyon to Sheep Canyon camp site? I know up till the third crossing is easy, and even freshly graded in sections, but with all the rain (and more in the forecast Wednesday), I worry that a fully loaded truck and camper wouldn't fare well in the crossing and the steep rocky section beyond it. My truck is on 35" all terrains with a small lift, but would be quite heavy with the whole family loaded for a weekend. Just don't want to stress out my wife by pushing the limits unnecessarily...

Any other suggestions for "roads less traveled" where we could 4x4 a bit, set up camp in a beautiful spot for a couple nights, see some blooms, and enjoy the solitude of the desert would be much appreciated!!

For some reason WTW notifications aren't working, so any advice sent to peterkatkov@gmail.com would be much great! Going this Friday afternoon the 24th.

Hey, Peter - I think the concern with getting to Sheep Canyon Camp has less to do with whether or not your rig will make it, and far more to do with the hordes of park visitors. Exactly one year ago (March 18, 19, and 20, 2016) we arrived in Coyote Canyon well after dark and just camped beside the road near the Cholla Gardens. The following morning we headed up canyon. Like you, we've been going to A-B for over 40 years and I've never seen anything like the sight that awaited us . By the time we got to the first water crossing there was a ranger directing traffic and trying to keep everything moving. After the third crossing at the base of the rocky climb it was pandemonium! Vehicles of all descriptions were everywhere. Gridlock! We managed to get turned around and worked our way back to Borrego Springs. That afternoon we had a beautiful and leisurely drive up to the end of Mine Canyon, where we spent an enjoyable night, with no other people around. It might be different this year, but I doubt it. The ranger told us that once the bloom is mentioned in the San Diego papers, many areas of the park get inundated. This photo is of our camp in Mine Canyon. I hope you have a great trip . . . . as you know, it is a very special place.

Attachments

• Anza camp 2.jpg
    Anza camp 2.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 119
Fantastic advice ML. There definitely no secret about the flowers in the north side of the park. At this point, I'd rather have a peaceful campsite away from everyone and hunt for the hidden flowers up the smaller canyons. The whole park should be coming alive with blooms and foliage and the traffic isn't worth the headache!

Found a great spot in the foothills below the Glorietta Wash. The road in was manageable with two full size rigs, the flowers and wildlife was amazing, and we were miles from anyone else. Highly recommended!

uwsOJwv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom