Need Florida & Waterproof Camera Suggestions

Buzz

Advanced Member
Any suggestions for camping sites in Florida, especially down in The Keys? I plan to go late October or February, 2011 for the shuttle launch, but I want to tour around the state, too. Cheap would be great; free even better.

I also want to do some snorkeling along the way, which brings up the waterproof camera. Does anyone have any experience with any of the point-and-shoot waterproof cameras? Any particular spots to snorkel?

Hope the oil doesn't spoil the watersports.

Thanks,
Buzz

Canon makes an excellent P&S called the G10 (latest is the G11). Very high quality images, many pro's carry this as a backup. They make an underwater housing for it too. I use the G10 for backpacking, and also carry it at work. It's quite rugged, but not cheap. I paid $500 new, but I'll bet you could get a used/ebay unit for a lot less now that the G11 is out.

Here's a gallery using this camera
http://www.pbase.com/lighthawk/rock_creek_09

Have a great trip to Florida!

Any suggestions for camping sites in Florida, especially down in The Keys? I plan to go late October or February, 2011 for the shuttle launch, but I want to tour around the state, too. Cheap would be great; free even better.

I also want to do some snorkeling along the way, which brings up the waterproof camera. Does anyone have any experience with any of the point-and-shoot waterproof cameras? Any particular spots to snorkel?

Hope the oil doesn't spoil the watersports.

Thanks,
Buzz

Yeh, it IS a long way south to The Keys from the launch site, Mark. If the oil spoils the water part of the trip, I can still explore inland. Thanks for the campsite tip.

Lighthawk: Thanks for the reply. I am pretty well equipped with DSLR's and lenses. The G11 has been on my long list for a while. I have a nice Sony DSC-V1 point&shoot, but I still would like to have something a little smaller, handier, and waterproof/dustproof. I will have the opportunity to try a Pentax Optio W80 next week.

-Buzz

Camera: Pentax Optio WP.

My Pentax Optio WP 5 is many years old, and they no longer make that model, but the last time I checked, they still have a "WP" line. It's about 1/2 the size of a deck of cards, and waterproof to 3 meters for up to 30 minutes. I have taken it deeper than that during free dives (i.e. for a maximum of 60 seconds :oops: ). The flash no longer works - maybe because I took it down further than 3 meters. However it still takes great pictures on it's 5 MegaPixel CCD. In fact all of the digital pictures I haves posted on WTW were taken with this camera.

Attached are a few underwater examples, resized down from 2560x1920 to 800X600. They were taken close to, or below 3 meters.

Attachments

• IMGP0293.jpg
    IMGP0293.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP0295.jpg
    IMGP0295.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMGP0297.jpg
    IMGP0297.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMGP0303.jpg
    IMGP0303.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 100
Camera: Pentax Optio WP.

My Pentax Optio WP 5 is many years old, and they no longer make that model, but the last time I checked, they still have a "WP" line. It's about 1/2 the size of a deck of cards, and waterproof to 3 meters for up to 30 minutes. I have taken it deeper than that during free dives (i.e. for a maximum of 60 seconds :oops: ). The flash no longer works - maybe because I took it down further than 3 meters. However it still takes great pictures on it's 5 MegaPixel CCD. In fact all of the digital pictures I haves posted on WTW were taken with this camera.

Attached are a few underwater examples, resized down from 2560x1920 to 800X600. They were taken close to, or below 3 meters.

Thank you for the pics. I looked at some of your other examples. You have some nice photos.

I should be able to wring out an Optio W80 this week if Hurrican Alex doesn't cause too much havoc here in central Texas.

-Buzz

Back
Top Bottom