Need Opinions On The Setups I'm Considering

BreakAes

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a truck and camper.

I saw this 11 foot Lance camper from 1996 the other day: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/rvs/d/lance-camper/6267661348.html I liked this one, and it seemed to be in pretty good shape. Supposedly there are no leaks, and the seller told me it had been sealed well. I did notice a bit of bend in the aluminum at the top where it must have hit something, and I didn't comb through everything in detail, but it still may be fine. I'm guessing a few dings here and there are to be expected. The seller seemed honest to me.

I'll be checking out this truck and camper package in a few days: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/rvs/d/nice-lance-truck-camper-with/6272973178.html The camper is also an 11 foot Lance camper, but it's from 1987.

The 1987 camper is 2,500 pounds supposedly, so that's around 900 pounds lighter than the one from 1996. Why is that? Any thoughts about the differences between the two?

I feel like I want an 11 foot camper since it has the full sized fridge and freezer. Am I correct in assuming that the bathrooms are a bit more spacious as well?

I guess the main thing that worries me is the weight of the 11 footers. I want to keep the truck and camper under $10,000. So it may be more difficult to find a truck in really good condition that'll have enough weight capacity for the newer 11 foot campers, and keep the budget under $10,000.

I'm also trying to check out this 8' 6" Lance camper: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/d/1999-lance-lite-835-truck-bed/6276781226.html to see how I feel about the size of those models.

Regarding the pricing on all this, what do you suggest I offer for the 1996 camper, and what would you say is the max I should settle for? I'm thinking I'd like to keep it at $4,000 max. I did look at RV Trader, and the prices there seem higher.

In terms of the 1987 camper and 1995 F250, what should I offer and settle for with those? I'm thinking I'd want to pay $8,000 max for both, assuming I want both. I may just want one or the other...or neither, of course.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

First, welcome to WTW.

l'd start deciding what you want to do first, I'm sure you're aware that big hard side campers limit the terrain you can get into. Clearance is the big factor here. If you want to get into the more remote areas, a popup might be more appropriate.

If you go with the hard side, make sure you have enough truck under it to be safe. A 1 ton is my preference. I like a diesel for the torque and pulling power (we have a boat as well), but gas engines do fine as well. With 3000+ pounds of camper on the truck, you want to have anti sway bars, plus brakes that will stop it in an emergency.

Your stated budget seems a little low to get both a truck and camper in good shape, but they're out there. Find camper and truck that have been well maintained by an old geezer (which a lot of us resemble) and you might score a deal. Look for maintenance records on the truck. Have it checked out by a mech if you need. Inspect the camper VERY carefully for evidence of leaks. In particular the area around the jacks, and any seam. Look at the condition of sealant around windows, vents and appliances like the water heater. Check the batteries and the wiring around them. Do the appliances all work. A camper that has been stored under cover is going to be a better bet than one that lived outside all its life.

An Alaskan camper is a popup hard side, but condition can be an issue on older campers. If they've been left in the weather, there can be rot, but if you're handy, you can rebuild them. Alaskan makes a 10' model for that extra space. Personally, I like them.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find exactly what you're looking for

Edit: An afterthought... I really do not care for or trust rubber roofs. A well cared for and sealed aluminum or fiberglass roof would always be my preference.

Thanks for the welcome! I think I'll have to get a hard-side camper, unless there are popup ones that have a big fridge and freezer, and internal toilet and shower.

I have a spinal cord injury, so I feel like I need to make things easier for myself nowadays. I saw the 8' 6" one, and I think I prefer the benefits of having an 11 footer. I do need to make sure I get the right truck for that kind of weight.

The seller for the 1996 camper said a 3/4 ton truck would be fine, and just to be sure the rubber stop block is 2-3 inches above the axle, so when you hit a bump, it doesn't bottom out. He didn't mention anti-sway bars, or upgraded brakes. How much would those add-ons cost?

I'm going to see the 1987 camper on Thursday, but I told the seller for the 1996 camper that I was leaning towards buying his. I did think it was pretty nice, assuming he's for real when he said "no leaks". I'll try to check it again, going by your recommendations, if I intend to buy it. That's where I'm at right now in this process.

I may be able to hire somebody to help work on stuff, but given my injury, I'd prefer to not do any rebuilding if I can avoid it. "Maybe" if I found a steal of a deal, but I'd like to not have to go through the hassle.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

And good to know about rubber roofs. Both 11 foot Lance campers have aluminum roofs, and I believe they're both one-piece.

The 1996 camper has been stored under something, if I remember correctly, and the seller suggested I get a cover for it from Costco, or temporarily cover it with a tarp.

The 8' 6" camper was up on its jacks without anything else to help support it. What does that do to a camper over time?

Also welcome to WTW.
Although the pop ups are great they do have their limits.
Your issues with "health" most likely keep you away from the
FWC/ATC style pop ups.
There are other ones I think Lance even makes one that has a crank up method.
Might be worth doing some checking around at the different companies and styles.

Your choice of camper would go with your personal issues and the type of camping you want to do.
So many choices.Good luck with the ones you are interested in seeing.
Frank

I just looked at that 8.6" camper. It seems to have all the things you want and the smaller size will allow you to get into more country then the 11' models. Plus you might not need as large of a truck.
Also think about that extra 3' hanging over the rear of a truck.
The more I think about that 1999 8.6" camper the more I like it.
It has a nice reefer plus the toilet.
Frank

My guess is that you are giving up some storage, maybe some seating, and maybe some bed length or width with the smaller camper, but I agree that the smaller one would be more maneuverable - just kind of depends on what you plan to do really.

I felt like the 8' 6" was too small for me (the shower mainly, and the freezer was small), and it wasn't ideal for other reasons, but those are good points. I think there are a lot of places I could go without having to do too much off-roading.

I found a 10 foot Alaskan camper from 1994 for $5,000, but the sale is pending. I "may" consider it if the sale falls through, but I think I want an indoor shower, and they only offer outdoor showers. Also, the fridge isn't full-size, which makes sense given the pop-up nature of the Alaskans. The site says they're the only hard-sided pop-up campers.

I'm thinking maybe I'll get the Lance for now, and that should give me a sense of what I do and don't need. In the future I may want something else. Any thoughts about that plan?

Seems like Alaskans are rare. Any other places to look for them used, besides the Alaskan website?

Regarding the Lance camper, I'm now thinking about offering $3,750, and settling at $4,000. The owner is selling it for $4,500 now, and told me to make him an offer if I wanted it. What do you all think?

Most people buy too big of an RV the first time but if you do get an 11 foot camper than get a 1 ton truck and you will still need to get air bags or helper springs.

Also check out some of the other non popup truck camper sites for opinions.

With a limited budget you almost have to get lucky to score a camper/truck combo in your price range. I had a 10' 6" Lance and it was a land barge to drive even with a 460 cu in gasser in an F-250 4x4 HD. The Lance is a very well made hard sided camper and they sold a gazillion of them. I considered getting the 8' 6" after the old one got hit by some kind soul who did not leave any info...grrrr!

Now I'm back to another AK though...

So...if you go with the Lance you will not be in the most far-out territory, but if you have mobility issues you probably will be more likely to hit campsites where that will not be a problem. Mine did not have a shower in it but I checked them out and found you will need a fresh water hookup and a water heater so you have to add them to your list.

They are HEAVY...unless you get a late model fiberglass one so think at least 3/4 ton and maybe a one-ton single rear axle with a BIG engine in it, diesel or gas, automatic or stick and then you have to do your homework here and elsewhere to find the right combination as some engines are problematic as well as transmissions. Of course an 8' bed is needed for any of these campers, forget a 6' bed for even the 8' 6" Lance!

Like buying a house or a boat...you can tell a lot by pictures but nothing like a good look-see at the camper, at the truck it is mounted on and actually at the owner to see if it has been well maintained or beat half to death and then shined up for selling it.

Good Luck with the search...

Hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll say, don't rule out a dually if you see one in your price range. I have no direct experience but know a couple people with big, "real" campers - not the little pop up ones like I have - who wouldn't haul theirs with less than a dually. You can see in the pics of the '96 11' that the extra tires would fit within the camper width. And I agree the pics make that camper look good.

As for buying to try out, maybe change later, again I don't have much experience doing that. Though of course I've heard/read of people who say they do, and sometimes even claim to make money buying, using and selling things. But I'll just point out the obvious that if the '96 Lance seller has lowered his price already to $4500 and you're considering offering $3750, well, know that it can work both ways. If you are on a budget now could you stand to "lose" money on a future upgrade ?

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be going to view the camper again today, with the intention to buy it if it checks out. I'll be taking a couple guys with me to do the inspection.

I think I'll offer $3,800 with the intention to settle at $4,000. I'll pay $4,500 if I have to, but he did tell me to make him an offer. That was before he lowered the price. I think the old price was $4,800.

What do you mean that it can work both ways?

I can spend money if I have to, but I just don't want to spend a ton on this setup.

Sorry BreakAes, I forgot about this thread.

What do you mean that it can work both ways?

I can spend money if I have to, but I just don't want to spend a ton on this setup.

In the OP you had posted that you wanted to, "keep the truck and camper under $10,000" and later, "I'm thinking maybe I'll get the Lance for now, and that should give me a sense of what I do and don't need. In the future I may want something else. Any thoughts about that plan?"

My comment "it can work both ways" was referring to the possibility that buying, experiencing and then selling the Lance (or whichever model) might net you less that what you had paid for it, as indeed the owner in the ad may have encountered when offering it for sale to you. Would that matter to you? ... IDK ... But you mentioned a budget and if that number was firm going forward (and I had no reason to think otherwise) it might be harder to purchase a replacement with a diminished camper portion of the budget. A possible scenario was all.

That was my thought anyways ...

Thanks, I ended up getting the Lance Squire 8000, and a 1995 F350. I'm going to have a mechanic inspect the truck, and tell me what he finds. Then I need to see about mounting the Torklift rear mounts on a hitch receiver that I'll need to buy...assuming that plan will work. It should work, correct?

I'm thinking about getting this Curt hitch: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-15300-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00AFVRF8Y A Curt rep told me from the frame to receiver tube is 5.75", so does anybody know if the mounts will bolt into the sides, and work with my rig?

How is Curt as a hitch brand? I read a thread where somebody said it was better than Reese, which looks like the other big name. I feel like a Torklift Magnum hitch would be more than I want to spend because I may just want a tray, and not to tow. I'll revisit it later if I end up needing to tow with the camper on at some point.

By the way, I paid $4,100 for the camper, and $6,400 for the truck, so I think I did pretty well.

Here are some photos:

vDRU4ja.jpg

lsLsupg.jpg

4tCDQp5.jpg

ZjzGtyI.jpg

IlHE3XL.jpg

eUwiuAs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom