Need outfitting advise for new Hawk

You can cook Sunman style: fire, cast iron pan, and a pair of thick leather gloves. That's the official definition of manly cookin round here :D

Crookedtail, we have a 2007 hawk and put a memory foam topper on top of the factory mattress, we also keep our flannel sheets and comforter on and it fits fine with the top down, all we do is take the pillows off. Older models cannot do this but newer ones have more clearance.

Hi silverstriketim: do you have the 4" factory pads? And how much memory foam are you able to get away with?

DD: we're pondering what size dutch oven to get! And asbestos gloves rock for playing with fire

I have to admit I'm getting a lot out of the 'outfitting' part of the adventure even though I stay home for the maiden voyage. Tempting to think about going....

Rach

I use this when I can't cook over a fire and am happy with the purchase. You can even use the lid as a wok or a basin for washing up afterward. If you have to feed more than two, it may not be big enough.

ttp://www.safarichefgrill.com/

I use this when I can't cook over a fire and am happy with the purchase. You can even use the lid as a wok or a basin for washing up afterward. If you have to feed more than two, it may not be big enough.

Any probs with packing up a hot grill?

You can cook Sunman style: fire, cast iron pan, and a pair of thick leather gloves. That's the official definition of manly cookin round here :D

Leather gloves are a must. All sorts of uses. 2 pair.

I've had a bit of time to compile and digest all this good info and I like the idea of cooking outside when the weather and bugs allow. What have folks had the best luck with in terms of storage and use?

- Coleman style propane stove (recommended type?)

- small BBQ grill

- fire pit with grate

If a BBQ, what's a good type to get?

Thanks again for all the good information!

We have a century 2 burner with piezo ignition that has been great. @$70- $80 anywhere.

Got this for a fire pit from Target. Even comes with a case! @ 26"Diameter x 6" thick. Works great. Especially in the Escalante (No firepits/rings and pack out your ashes if you bring your own pit).

The Grill is tricky. Got a Weber Grillmate(?) last year. $50 retail. Most of the small grills I've seen or used, including this one, are hotter on one end than the other. And that end is not real hot. So things like steaks or even burgers can be a chore and take a LONG time to cook. I haven't seen anything except a small stainless grill in Cabelas that claim to put out over 10,000 BTU. No data on that one.

Eveything else is $300 and up. Ouch.

Happy outfitting!

S

The Safari Chef cools down pretty quickly. I wouldn't try to pack it hot, unless of course, I had good leather gloves ;)

Cooking over propane never tastes as good as over a fire, but when there are fire restrictions, the Safari Chef will git 'r done. I also carry a folding wire grill for grilling over a campfire (Campmor.com, I think) and a frying pan. Just bought a 10-inch dutch oven, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm thinking sourdough biscuits.

Another Cadac owner.

I bought mine mostly to use as a gas Bar-B-Que where open fire aren't allowed (I live in Southern California, where open fires are outlawed during some of the best times to camp). Because it's a single burner stove with several cook tops, it can be used as a griddle, grill, wok, BBQ, or just as a burner with your own pot or skillet.

Any probs with packing up a hot grill?

Yes, but because it's used outside the camper, if you're in a hurry, you can pack everything else, drop the top, and save the Cadac for last, giving it time to cool.

We've been using the same one of these for over 20 years and it still works great. I've replaced the food and charcoal grates once each. It breaks down pretty small for packing and we love the taste of charcoal grilling. Last trip Pam used it to cook everything just putting the pot and fry pan on it.

Attachments

• smokey-joe6.jpg
    smokey-joe6.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 212
Back
Top Bottom