Nevada Ghost Towns

Darryla

Hi All: I am planning a trip and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I was planning to go to some spots in Southwest Nevada, but decided it was too hot for now. So I am thining of a loop that would take me as far east to Great Basin of which I would like to visit again. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and am basically creating a circle.

First Stop,
Bunker Hill - Austin Area, Staying at Big Creek Camp Ground

Then,
Diamond Springs, Eureka

Then,
Cheery Creek
Eberhardt
Piermont
McGill
Egan Canyon
Schollbourne

Then,
GREAT BASIN

Then,
Delamar (May skip this trip south due to time)

Back to,
Tybo
Clifford

Back to the Eastern Sierras.

Any other ideas of spots along the way would be greatly appreciated. I have been to Bodie, Berlin, etc.

Thank you,

Darryl

I'm not sure I have many suggestions as most of these places I have not been. I'll look forward to hear what you discover though! If you haven't been to Belmont I'd recommend going there. Have you been to Ophir? Ski3pin had a good report on Ophir recently.

I'm following this thread too, trolling for ideas.

We want to do our first multi-night trip with our new Hawk. So far have only done a handful of one nighters, since I bought the camper last month. We're itching to try out the new Zodi shower and awning I've built. Plus the rig now is equipped with Helweg anti-sway bar and some new 10 ply BFG's.

Trouble is: We are planning to take off for Labor Day Fri-Mon and I'm stumped where to go.
We love the east side of the sierra, and have backpacked for many years, but the LA crowd really fills up the campgrounds.

My next thought was to visit Nevada; hot springs, ghost towns, etc. A perfect place to practice my photography.
But then I realized this is the same time as Burning Man. Dang.

We're based in the northern sierra foothills, so our range is from southern oregon to as far as the Ruby Mtns in Nevada.
If anyone has any suggestions of hot springs, etc that are not going to be on the beaten track to/from/near Burning Man, I would love to hear it.

Andy

Andy,

Same time frame we will be doing Lassen area. Couple of spots you could check out. Susan River has some very nice boondock sites just below Silver Lake. On the road to Juniper Lake from Chester, there is an old abandoned campground. It is overgrown but still has some fire pits and a vault toilet that was actually rather clean due to lack of use. We have stayed there and had it to ourselves. Probably lots of other areas around there we haven't found yet. And it would be a short drive for you.

Post Burning Man, head up to Blackrock and camp in the Soldier Meadows area. Some nice hot spring soaking to be had in a remote area.

Happy camping.

Hey thanks Ted,

I've realized Nevada is a Big Place, even with 50k people in Black Rock over Labor Day.
I think I was feeling like there was no where to get away from Labor Day crowds.

The plan:

Leaving tomorrow to drive the Loneliest Hwy in America to Austin,NV to poke about a 'living ' ghost town, then out to Spencer Hot Springs. Continue up the mountains to Toquima Caves Campground to check out pictographs (will post some photos later).

Next two days: Head down Monitor Valley, visit Potts Ranch, Diana's Punchbowl, Table Mtn Wilderness? Camping at Pine Creek. It's nice when you can tour the hot dry basin, but head up canyon within a few miles of 11,000' peaks for some trout fishing and alpine hiking. Basin & Range. Gotta remember to pack that book by John McPhee.

Then? Eventually to Tonopah via dirt, but a variety of routes are interesting. I've got the Nevada Rec Guide by Benchmark, which looks pretty thorough. I read that the dotted red lines are 'verified' as opposed to all those other thin red lines on the map. Think I'll bring the magnifying glass to read those tiny details!

Some Experiments on this trip:

See how my new 18" BFG T/A's make a difference, esp. with new Helweg sway bar, plus ride-rites :)
See how the new yakima fairing does to reduce wind noise above cab. My 06 Tundra + 08 Hawk has a large 8" gap 'tween camper and cab, but now it's a storage basket for beach chairs (got this idea from another WTW member) with a wind fairing.

Try out new Droid2 phone as a GPS (should work off satellite, even w/o cell service).
I'll be able to spot our location on the map book by gps coordinates ( I hope )
I've downloaded a bunch of googledocs we've collaborated from various websites (camping notes, ghost town info, etc.) directly to my phone, so I should be able to access a lot of good info, while in the middle of nowhere. That almost raises a taoist question: If you know where you are, but are no where, where are you?? ;)

And, for tech-nerd extra points, I just splurged on a wireless bluetooth speaker from Altec Lansing ($60), which I am listening to right now. It has AC adapter, but will run 24 hrs on 6 AA batteries. I'll be able to keep my phone inside the camper, charging away, while listening to my 5 GB collection of music outside on the dinner table. Amazing technology! I set it up in five minutes and took my phone all around my office building and the signal to the speaker never dropped. Should be nice for around the home & garden too.

So, a good trip brewing. Dog is ready to go. Girlfriend has come around to see that Nevada will be interesting for her too. We're both excited to go!
Will post a trip report upon return.

Andy

Andy,

Same time frame we will be doing Lassen area. Couple of spots you could check out. Susan River has some very nice boondock sites just below Silver Lake. On the road to Juniper Lake from Chester, there is an old abandoned campground. It is overgrown but still has some fire pits and a vault toilet that was actually rather clean due to lack of use. We have stayed there and had it to ourselves. Probably lots of other areas around there we haven't found yet. And it would be a short drive for you.

Post Burning Man, head up to Blackrock and camp in the Soldier Meadows area. Some nice hot spring soaking to be had in a remote area.

Happy camping.

Back
Top Bottom