New 2017 F350 on Order...

Riverrunner

I don't post much but do look in once every so often to see whats up. Life, job, 5 acres of property, and a JD tractor has put a crimp in my camping/play time over the last year and the foreseeable future. After considering selling the Grandby I've decide I'm keeping it since it's paid for and I still want to use it once in a while when time allows. The flip side is the Jeep Wrangler would have to go so I sold it.

I also decided it was also time for a new truck so a couple weeks ago I put in a order for a new F350. I want/need a decent payload and the F250 is a little borderline. I also wanted the 6R140 tranny because of where I live as opposed to the "G" tranny in the F250. As previous discussions in other threads indicated, I'm going gas this time. The 2017's are all new and after careful research and a few test drives I feel it will fit my needs. ETA is first part of July.

A few details is case anyone is interested...

CCLB
4x4
6.2L
Tailgate Step
Deleted the carpet
Old school Manual 4x4 - no ESOTF
4.30 gears with rear E-locker
LED bed lights
Opt'd for the SYNC 3 for the bigger screen for the rear camera
Camper Pkg
XXHD Alternator
11,400 GVWR Pkg
275/70R18 AT tires
FX4 Pkg
Upfitter switches
Brake controller
Remote start
Rear window defrost
Aftermarket Heated seats - Dealer install
Spray in bedliner - dealer install
48 gal fuel tank!

Once it's here and I'll offer up my impressions good and bad.

MSRP is almost $50K. Invoice is around $46K-ish.... After rebates, depending on what is offered when the truck comes in, I should be around $44k-ish including the the heated seats and bed liner.

I found an 350 XL that I drove and could of got for $39,800 but it was missing some things that were "had to have's". Looking and driving this rig is really what got me looking and pushed me over the edge...

Riverrunner said:
MSRP is almost $50K. Invoice is around $46K-ish.... After rebates, depending on what is offered when the truck comes in, I should be around $44k-ish including the the heated seats and bed liner.

I found an 350 XL that I drove and could of got for $39,800 but it was missing some things that were "had to have's". Looking and driving this rig is really what got me looking and pushed me over the edge...
Sounds like a lot, but we paid $32k for a '16 Ford Edge with trailer package and no GPS/Sync 3/leather seats.

It is a lot! Add the Diesel and that's almost $9K to the MSRP. Move up to a Lariat, King Ranch, or Platinum (which is 60 to 70% of sales) and you are easily into the $70 to $80K range for MSRP with an out the door cost in the mid $60k's! :oops:

Ace! said:
I've oft wondered why people DON'T buy the ESOF. The truck still comes with manual hubs, right? The ESOF failure point is (almost) always at the hub, not the t-case.

Nicely optioned truck by the way. The gas, 4.30 with e-locker is almost unstoppable.
Yes it comes with manual hubs you have to get out and lock. With Ford SD, if you get ESOTF, the hubs are operated via vacuum with manual dial as back up. Transfer case is electric shift. Two points of failure in my book hence going old school. :)

Yeah ski it's pretty cool. I've never ordered a truck before as I have always bought used rigs.

Window sticker showed up yesterday so actual build should occur next week.

Congratulations Riverrunner! I'll be watching out for your pictures and impressions. I currently own a 2013 F150 but been checking out the F250. How much more payload did you get with your configuration vs. F250? Is the dealer able to give you an accurate indication of the payload based on the configuration ordered?

It's hard to get super accurate payload since it depends on options. The payload guide is all you have to make an estimate until the truck is actually built. The 250 can have a payload problem when you start going CCLB and diesel. Some only have 21-2200lbs. Go gas and and SB and you can get over 3000lbs from what I've seen. There isn't much different in cost so I just assume have the 350 and for my use I wanted the 6R140 transmission vs the "G" in the 250.

Truck is built and waiting to get on a train to the wet coast. Right now my dilemma is wheather to commit to the rebates I have now or gamble a little and see what comes out for July. I've got $4500 in rebates until July 5th which isn't bad. Will the rebates be better after July 5th? ETA is still July 10th.

Fun stuff RR. You've spec'ed out close to what I would order today, if in the market, so I too will be interested in your impressions especially power and fuel consumption when loaded up - most online reports are for towing. Should also be interesting to compare payload to your old dually, seems you can get an impressive payload with the 6.2.

Looks a lot like what I want to order but I have some gear heads here telling me to get the diesel. I don't know what to do there as I have no point of reference for driving a big ass truck full of a camper and stuff..... Looking forward to pics and things....

klahanie said:
Fun stuff RR. You've spec'ed out close to what I would order today, if in the market, so I too will be interested in your impressions especially power and fuel consumption when loaded up - most online reports are for towing. Should also be interesting to compare payload to your old dually, seems you can get an impressive payload with the 6.2.
I'll have more payload than the dually I'm sure. The 2000 has a gvwr of 11,200 and gcwr of 20,000 vs the '17 with 11,500/23,500. Yes lots of towing reports and while that's important to me it's only part of it. My current boat is only 5K lbs so nothing there to worry about.

Happyjax said:
Looks a lot like what I want to order but I have some gear heads here telling me to get the diesel. I don't know what to do there as I have no point of reference for driving a big ass truck full of a camper and stuff..... Looking forward to pics and things....
I think the 6.7 is a decent engine (as well as the Cummins and Duramax). The power is crazy huge. MPG's are so so. I'm just put off by the emissions and how touchy and sophisticated it all is plus the added maintenance and repair costs when you're out of warranty. If you towing over 10K or hauling a big camper with a boat, you might want the diesel. I did a lot of research on the 6.2 and have watched how it was developed. It's as bulletproof as you can get in todays world. Fleets love it. Sure it's doesn't have 925lbft of torque but then I'm not in a hurry. Cheaper oil changes and maintenance are appealing to me after almost 20 years with a diesel.

I don't think this is going to be a huge change for me since I've never owned a newer diesel. While my current rig is modified with all of the usual power mods, it's not anything close power wise to the new trucks. My brother has a newer diesel (2012) and I've been in his truck a few times. Nice for sure but I don't want spend that kind of money. His DEF pump just went out at 47K miles. $1200. ouch!

Happyjax said:
Jackie, the diesels (and I love mine) are great, but unless you're pulling/carrying a lot of weight over difficult terrain, I think the gas engine would be the best choice. The truck that RR has ordered sounds ideal, and I do agree with going for the 1 ton.

Thanks! I was all for gas until the diesel guys at work kept telling me that was the way to go. I was having a hard time getting past $8000, 500 extra lbs, higher fuel costs and DEF. Now I am sure gas is the way to go for me. Diesel is fine for heavy towing but I'm just gonna put a camper in there and drive around and take pics, meet other WTW folk and try a Pliney some day :)

Truck is in Minot ND. It's getting closer! Railroad says it should be in Portland on the 28th.

I will definitely post up impressions, MPG's, photo's and thoughts over the coming months.

Well the truck made it to Portland this morning and is waiting to be unloaded off the rail car. Now we'll see how long it sits there before it make it to my dealership. 6 weeks from order date so far. I don't think that is too bad. Maybe by the end of next week I might have it...maybe...

Back
Top Bottom