New 2017 F350 on Order...

Sounds like a great truck inbound!

Indeed ESOF is a high failure rate point on the truck, especially when the vacuum lines get old and leaky.

If you buy a truck off the lot with ESOF installed and want to eliminate a point of failure, simply trace a vacuum line back to the solenoid, disconnect and plug the line. To make the hubs bullet proof, install the NEW Warn Premium locking hubs. No more problems.

Looks like it's going to sit in the rail yard for a while. As of today it's still there. 12 days tomorrow. I leave on Weds for vacation and had hoped I'd have it by now to get some of those break in miles done. No such luck. The wait continues....

That is the main reason I have not ordered a truck. I have 2 weeks coming up in August I would like to have a truck for and did not think I could rely on Ford to get me a truck by then. If I cannot find something I will be happy with I will wait until end of season sales....

Have my eyes on a couple possibilities though some will need a skid plate and probably updated shocks because they are not FX equipped.

Just gonna go with the flow :)

Happyjax said:
That is the main reason I have not ordered a truck. I have 2 weeks coming up in August I would like to have a truck for and did not think I could rely on Ford to get me a truck by then. If I cannot find something I will be happy with I will wait until end of season sales....

Have my eyes on a couple possibilities though some will need a skid plate and probably updated shocks because they are not FX equipped.

Just gonna go with the flow :)
The FX shocks are nothing special. I'm not sure there are even actual Ranchos. I figure they will last a year and then I'll upgrade to the Rancho 9000's. Skid plates and hill decent is what you get with the FX4 Package and at $295 it was a decent deal. $100 and you can add skid plate without the other stuff. I'd guess for $100 you can order the skid plates from the dealer and put them on yourself.

I don't need the truck for this vacation but it would have been nice to get the break in miles done so I can tow my boat when needed. Ford got me the truck in plenty of time, it's the carrier that's screwed me. My dealership has received 3 convoys since 7/4 and my rig hasn't been on any of them. Hard to find the 4.30 gears I wanted although a month after I ordered mine, I did find one dealership that had a couple trucks that would have worked about 450 miles away.

So I can get the skid plate and put it on myself? As long as I don't have to drill holes that will work.

And you are saying use the shocks that come with it and after a year or so they will need replacing so I can put Bilsteins or something else on them?

I will not let the lack of an FX package sway me with this knowledge and that gives me more choices :)

Thanks for the info!

Now can someone explain that G transmission to me? Should I embrace it or avoid it....

A lot of guys do the Bilstiens. Many say loaded and/or towiing they are great. Empty, not so much. Fox 2.0 seem to be the new darlings of the truck world. Kinda spendy but many say they have a good ride loaded, towing, or empty. I like the Rancho 9000's but that's me. Stock shocks are not that great. Yeah focus on must haves like upfitter switches, gears, backup camera and/or other essentials. FX4 is not essential IMO.

If you're looking at a 17 F250 gasser, you get the new G tranny (6R100). It's a beefed up version of the tranny in a F150 and is said to be better matched to the F250. It's lighter and geared a touch taller so better for MPG's. A F350 gets the full Torqueshift 6R140 which appears pretty bulletproof regardless if it's gas or diesel. It's got lower gears and is big. Maybe you lose a little MPG's but it's hard to say. One reason I went 350 was I wanted the biggest and bestest tranny I could get for my use and situation. The G is new so the jury is still out but it should handle the F250 fine. The 6R80 in the F150's have been good with not too many issues as far as I can tell.
It should be noted a F250 Diesel doesn't get the G. It gets the same 6R140 as the F350/450

Okie Dokie, non issue for me :)

How about running boards. Are they hard to install? Some of the trucks I look at have them and some don't. Those fancy ones that deploy automatically seem like they could get pretty gummed up in a mud run or ice?

Do you get one long board or 2 shorter ones?

Just never had to consider these things before.....

Hello Thread

I have taken possession of my new F350. Yikes it is big. Some confusion on my part as to the load capacity, I had asked the man responsible for ordering the ride for a approximate capacity ( Ford apparently does have updates on build as it progress or that is what I was told "could" happen, did not work for me, YMMV ) so as to start triaging campers by weight, as I know that there is a maximum capacity likely and then the finish capacity after options, I think he confused my truck with another or told me the maximum, so a small disappointment on checking the door decal.

Attachments

• Load-Capacity.jpg
    Load-Capacity.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 200
Wow I would have thought your payload would have been closer to 4k if not a little over......

That's an eye opener....

My intention was for you and others to further understand what we all get by what we order, this is just my second experience in trying to order X from a dealer.

Options use up capacity from the engineered base. So two wheel drive without cruise control, gasoline rather than diesel will get you maximum capacity.

So that 3620 lbs represents a "XL" with 4WD, FX skid plates, shocks mfg by Rancho ( I called and asked ), designed and engineered by Ford ), 18" wheels with AT tires ( all 5 ), power inverter, cruise control which spawns other stuff and all vinyl interior. Sales guy said they had several inquiries about it wile it was on the lot, they do not tend to stock an item like this ( I assume ( always problem for me ) margin for the dealers is too small )). Will post some interior of my vinyl interior in my gallery soon, if your into vinyl that is :oops:

Idahostat said:
Hello Thread

I have taken possession of my new F350. Yikes it is big. Some confusion on my part as to the load capacity, I had asked the man responsible for ordering the ride for a approximate capacity ( Ford apparently does have updates on build as it progress or that is what I was told "could" happen, did not work for me, YMMV ) so as to start triaging campers by weight, as I know that there is a maximum capacity likely and then the finish capacity after options, I think he confused my truck with another or told me the maximum, so a small disappointment on checking the door decal.
Specifications are based on a standard cab, 4x2, short wheel base, gas motor and a few other variables. That truck will have the highest payload. As you start optioning your truck, the payload number goes down because the weight of every option must be added to the curb weight of the truck. Ford uses the baseline truck for calculations; they know the weight of every option, ie., LWB, super cab, crew cab, 4x4, trannies, diesel motor, etc.. If your salesman didn't use the Ford Body Builder Guide to determine weight as you optioned your truck/order, I doubt he would be able to give you a best guesstimate within 100#.

Regardless, that is still a healthy payload! I doubt you will come close with a slide-in camper and all the other associated toys for it.

I found the Ford factory installed Rancho shocks seriously lacking.

I installed the Bilstein leveling kit with shocks up front and the Rancho RS9000 XL shocks in the rear.

Advmoto18

Did you do this right off? If not what quality of roads where you traversing ( this was loaded with or without Camper "X" ) at the time of decision when you realized the Ford specified "Rancho" did not work for your "use".

The advantage of the Bilstein leveling kit was for sag in front? Spring pack in relation to bumper? Ground clearance of "X" inches. Kindly help me understand some of your process for my future reflection on things "Off road" or those roads less traveled.

If that process was already related in a prior post please direct so as not to repeat that evolution of the wheel, again! :)

Thanks for the input.

T.

mitch h

Are you asking me or the man who stated this thread?

Mine is here at last ( whole week of perspective change ), just removed my rear seats which took less time than I forecast for. Now for some temporary anchor points, where the seats were, then off to speak with Hallmark and Outfitter about history of their different campers. Well I do have to sell a couple of things but that is just distraction for the moment.

Terence

I am interested in how those seats came out as that would be something I think I'd do to gain more storage. Not really planning on taking a bunch of people..... watching photographers can be very boring :) (for non photographers)

Sorry for the delay. The truck came in just as I was leaving to go on vacation for 10 days to get married. :) I picked it up yesterday (Friday) and have only driven it 200 miles or so today.

Initial impressions are: This is one heck of a rig. It rides nice, is super quiet, and so far, doesn't lack any power at all (6.2L). As soon as I got it home I added steps. Some kind of running boards or steps are a must as these trucks are really tall. Here are a few photos.

p2431775569-4.jpg

p2431775066-4.jpg

p2431774574-4.jpg

And my payload sticker. I was shooting for 4000lbs and got it!

p2431773795-2.jpg

Idahostat - congrats on your rig! Updates can be had through you dealer. Once mine got on a train a guy over on FTE tracked it for me. Ford;s COTUS is in beta and doesn't track 350's only 250's. ETIS will track 350's but is only good for a build date really.

Back
Top Bottom