New Alcan springs work great, but Tacoma still a little loose in the curves

Bread

Advanced Member
Just finished 16k road trip with my 2011 4wd Tacoma TRD and Fleet Camper. The new custom made Alcan springs I had installed before the trip worked great, but maybe I can use some more suspension upgrades before the next trip. When I'm in the curves, particularly when going downhill, the backend sways and shimmys a bit. Feels kinda loose. What can I do to upgrade the suspension more, sway bars, new shocks (5100's)? Thanks

Sway bar, HD shocks, E range tires, maybe adjust tire pressure?? Take a look at the weight distribution of all your gear, move heavy items fwd. All of this by itself or combined will help.

Hi Bread
I am assuming that you did not have this problem before. Why did you replace the springs other ride problems.
Did you have the springs made to be better for off road use? Are you pushing the speed limit ? Where is your CG? and I agree with Beach on the questions he had. Probably and easy fix, you may have fixed one issue with the springs which allowed another issue to become apparent to you.
Russ

Got the springs to deal with the heavy weight of camper and gear. Definitely don't push the speed limit. Just wanting to fine tune things a bit before the next big road trip. Will look at the center of gravity, weight distribution and look into sway bars and new shocks

Hi Bread
Was actually at SEMA yesterday and found myself at the Hilwig booth. Saw the new Nissian yellow truck. Any way was asking them about your specific problem, and rep said it could definitely be sway bar, big suprise as that is what they sell. What really surprised me was the difference between OEM and their product. Also the theirs is adjustable there are three holes in the ends so it could be tuned and they also have different rate sway bars. I would definitely call their tech support seemed very accommodating. You might want to think about doing one thing at a time. Doing two or three or more will leave you guessing what fixed the problem.
Russ

Bread said:
Got the springs to deal with the heavy weight of camper and gear. Definitely don't push the speed limit. Just wanting to fine tune things a bit before the next big road trip. Will look at the center of gravity, weight distribution and look into sway bars and new shocks
That's a good list of things to check. I would add LT tires if you don't already have them. We have the stock TRD Tacoma suspension (TSB added leaf), load range D tires and have had no issues carrying a shell camper. The tires made a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom