"New" Atwood furnace at high elevation

brianjwilson

As the previous Atwood furnace used by FWC was discontinued, they are now using a newer version. I'm away from the camper and the model number provided by Stan doesn't pull anything up online.

I'm headed to Yellowstone the first week in September, with my wife and 16 month old daughter. I was hoping to hear some feedback on this furnace at high elevation if anyone has experience with it yet. I really don't want to get up there with my daughter and find out that it doesn't work. ;)

For that matter, have any of you had issues with your older style furnace at high elevation?

Thanks for the input!

We camped at 9800 to 10400 feet for 28 consecutive nights in Colorado last summer in National Forest campgrounds without any difficulty using the new furnace (ours is a late 2012 Granby). Temperatures got as low as 25 Deg F at night and we did have ice on the inside of the camper roof a few mornings. The furnace started every morning without difficulty and warmed the camper easily even though it is smaller than the old one since the interior air volume of the camper is small. Our only problem was our butane lighter would not light for starting the stove in the morning so we used the furnace to warm the butane lighter (not too long or you can have an explosion).

Our FWC is new as well, two of our three trips the furnace has cycled on and then would not restart after it cycled off. This happened at altitude (all our camping is at higher altitude). I removed the outside panel didn't see anything obvious jiggled the wire connections and worked each time. I can hear the thermostat switch on and hear a buzz in the furnace, but nothing happen. I haven't contacted FWC yet because it isn't a big deal for us, that is until this fall.

Camped above 7500 feet last week and no problem with the heater. Only used two morning as it was 55 degrees at 6:00 am Saturday and Sunday. Hot in CA.

I have a 2015 Hawk with the "old model" (it looks different). I have had no problems up to 8500 feet elevation. I have used it down into the high teens without trouble.

Our Grandby was delivered to us in December of 2012. Last winter we had issues with it lighting at elevations above 4,000'. We actually had to replace the circuit board. Works like a champ now at all altitudes.

I would only add that you should run it the first time while at home with the windows and door open...unless you want to test how well the smoke alarm works. My alarm worked great by the way.

Sounds mixed, just like searching on Google. I guess we'll see what happens. Over six weeks I'll be back and forth from sea level to 8000, 10000+ a couple of times. Hope it works! I can stand being cold, but my wife and baby not as much.

I have used the furnace a handful of times to burn off the fumes, been there before. Surprisingly I haven't set off any alarms but it still smells funky. It could definitely be burned off a few more times with the vent running.

Brian, are you sure you have a battery in that smoke detector? :D

I think it took about 3 burns before I could put the battery back in ours...

I have a 2012 Fleet and have spent many nights at 11,000 ft with no issues.

I have a 2014 Grandby. Two weeks ago, we were at 9,000 feet and the heater worked great. Outdoor temps were in the high 30s in the morning. The first morning, I burped the tanks and used matches (!) to light the stove. When the thermostat goes up to 59, we are too hot.

raymondmom said:
I have a 2014 Grandby. Two weeks ago, we were at 9,000 feet and the heater worked great. Outdoor temps were in the high 30s in the morning. The first morning, I burped the tanks and used matches (!) to light the stove. When the thermostat goes up to 59, we are too hot.
Throw the matches away and get an ignitor.

Oh, my stove at home doesn't have an igniter! I keep looking for the pilot light...

Just finished camping a couple nights at 12,000 feet. We have the old furnace and it didn't start the first two tries but fired right up on the third. Outdoor temps were around 40.

One item to consider in this discussion - the assembly of the igniter in relation to the burner. One member here had a brand new furnace that had problems lighting on a trip (to Yellowstone). The unit was assembled with a large gap and was not within "specs". If you are having problems - elevation would compound this problem - you may consider taking a look.

I was having an intermittent problem with mine. I did a minor adjustment. It has not failed to light at any elevation.

This is just one of the possible issues/solutions.

ski3pin said:
One item to consider in this discussion - the assembly of the igniter in relation to the burner. One member here had a brand new furnace that had problems lighting on a trip (to Yellowstone). The unit was assembled with a large gap and was not within "specs". If you are having problems - elevation would compound this problem - you may consider taking a look.

I was having an intermittent problem with mine. I did a minor adjustment. It has not failed to light at any elevation.

This is just one of the possible issues/solutions.

Very good point and probably something everybody should check from time to time.

I have a 2008 Eagle with Atwood 8516-IV furnace. I have camped at many high elevations with no problems. BUT, I am convinced that Atwood is not a very reliable furnace in general (for other reasons than altitude). Many people have had "intermittent" issues that turn out to be the circuit board, broken wires, sensors, etc.

Chris

Thanks for the additional responses. We didn't end up getting to Yellowstone, but did camp out in the sawtooths in Idaho. So far there has been no issue with the furnace. Hopefully I'll get to test out some other high elevation spots this winter.

I don't know if the new furnace is different (mechanically) than what FWC had been installing previously. It does have a full access panel on the outside rather than just a small vent. Hopefully this will make any potential issues easier to diagnose.

Back
Top Bottom