New Batteries Won't Fully Charge

Lots of good info here. I would google "Handy Bob RV". There is a tremendous amount of info in his writing if you take the time to read.
Enjoy your camper, Bigfoot Dave

A couple of thoughts based on my experience.

I have a 2016 Hawk front dinette and the IOTA on mine has the built in IQ4. I believe yours should too.

I also have the Zamp solar controller/dual (12v) batteries and 160 w panel. Don't worry about the bars on the Zamp controller. My system works great but those bars RARELY show full. I was concerned also and did testing that basically showed that the Zamp panel doesn't really show you what you think it does. I re-read the Zamp manual a few times and it is still confusing. In particular what voyages it is showing may be different depending what load and charge mode and source its under at the time. I plan on getting something better.

I bought an additional 120w which is nice and gets me charged up faster although I really haven't needed it, at least in the latitudes of California.

One thing you can check are the wiring connections to the batteries. Make sure they are tight. I was experiencing poor charging and some weird voltage issues on the controller until I found a loose wire. Fortunately the short didn't start a fire. Should have seen me scratch my head when every time I would cycle to master power switch and would get different voltages.

Good luck but truly I don't think you have a problem. I just think its a very minimal Zamp controller.

Thanks to a Sunday Amazon delivery (!) I got my Victron battery monitor installed.Easy to install but the user manual is quite complicated. It confirmed what I suspected which is that the batteries are fully charged. While routing wires, I found the Iota with built in IQ4. For anyone wanting to check theirs,it's directly behind the rectangular vent in the cabinet. I also rechecked the voltage coming from the Iota with the batteries connected and it is between 14.1 and 14.4. When shore power is plugged in the Zamp reads full, when I unplug, it reads 3/4. I don't really care what the reading is anymore as long as it is not overcharging my batteries. I'm still not sure how to test this-the charge current levels are not very high, but I do wish the voltage was a little lower (in the 13's). It states right on the battery that float charge voltage should be 13.6-13.8 (I'm multiplying by 2 since the batteries are 6V connected in series)..

dharte,

Perhaps I should have written the IOTA claims that the IQ4 limits the float stage to 13.6 V.

From the IQ4 Spec sheet
The IQ4 Smart Charge Controller allows the DLS Series Battery Charger to operate as an automatic “smart charger,” delivering the charge the battery needs at the time it needs it. The IQ4 uses four different charging modes to keep your battery in peak condition:
BULK STAGE
The Bulk Stage of the IQ4 allows the batteries to be charged from the full rated output of the charger (for example: a 12V charger will charge at a maximum of 14.8V*). This increased charging period reduces the overall charge time of the battery.
ABSORPTION STAGE
After the Bulk Stage, the IQ4 then moves to the Absorption Stage (14.2V for a 12V battery*). This mode will continue for up to 480 minutes (8 hours) to ensure that the battery receives a complete charge.
FLOAT STAGE
During the Float Stage, the IQ4 reduces the DLS charge voltage. This reduced voltage maintains the full charge while minimizing ‘gassing’ of the battery. The IQ4’s Float Stage prevents boiling and bulging of the battery caused when the battery is exposed to higher charging voltages for too long.
EQUALIZATION STAGE
If the batteries remain in a “float stage” for a seven-day period, the IQ4 will switch the DLS charger into a pre-programmed Equalization Stage. This protects the battery by dissolving any sulfate layer on the battery’s internal plates and avoids stratification that can occur when a battery has not been used for extended periods.

The charging voltage for the different stages varies depending on the voltage of the battery.

12V BATTERY Stage VOLTAGE
BULK 14.8V
ABSORPTION 14.2V
FLOAT STAGE 13.6

*Location of the Dual Voltage Jack may vary depending on the DLS model.

DUAL VOLTAGE JACK IQ CHARGE CONTROLLER
The Equalization Stage will cycle the battery through the Bulk and Absorption Stages before returning the battery to the Float Stage. Overall charging times will vary depending on several factors, such as the capacity of the battery, discharged state of the battery, the amperage of the DLS battery charger, and gauge of wire connections.

It seems appropriate to check to see if your IOTA charger is actually dropping down to 13.8V from 14.4 V. The Victron battery monitor is programmable and you can set it up for your specific battery specifications which I recommend that you do.

Then it will tell you, with reasonable accuracy, when you are in bulk, absorption or float stage. However, since you do not have the bluetooth capability I think you will have to plug your PC into the Victron unit to do the programming (as well as to download the battery log) but perhaps you can do the programming from the push buttons on the face of the unit.

Alternatively, you could check the voltage while it is on the charger and then come back in 8 hours and see if it dropped down to 13.8V

Craig

ckent323 said:
dharte,

Perhaps I should have written the IOTA claims that the IQ4 limits the float stage to 13.6 V.

From the IQ4 Spec sheet

The IQ4 Smart Charge Controller allows the DLS Series Battery Charger to operate as an automatic “smart charger,” delivering the charge the battery needs at the time it needs it. The IQ4 uses four different charging modes to keep your battery in peak condition:
BULK STAGE
The Bulk Stage of the IQ4 allows the batteries to be charged from the full rated output of the charger (for example: a 12V charger will charge at a maximum of 14.8V*). This increased charging period reduces the overall charge time of the battery.
ABSORPTION STAGE
After the Bulk Stage, the IQ4 then moves to the Absorption Stage (14.2V for a 12V battery*). This mode will continue for up to 480 minutes (8 hours) to ensure that the battery receives a complete charge.
FLOAT STAGE
During the Float Stage, the IQ4 reduces the DLS charge voltage. This reduced voltage maintains the full charge while minimizing ‘gassing’ of the battery. The IQ4’s Float Stage prevents boiling and bulging of the battery caused when the battery is exposed to higher charging voltages for too long.
EQUALIZATION STAGE
If the batteries remain in a “float stage” for a seven-day period, the IQ4 will switch the DLS charger into a pre-programmed Equalization Stage. This protects the battery by dissolving any sulfate layer on the battery’s internal plates and avoids stratification that can occur when a battery has not been used for extended periods.

The charging voltage for the different stages varies depending on the voltage of the battery.

BULK 14.8V
ABSORPTION 14.2V
FLOAT STAGE 13.6

The Equalization Stage will cycle the battery through the Bulk and Absorption Stages before returning the battery to the Float Stage. Overall charging times will vary depending on several factors, such as the capacity of the battery, discharged state of the battery, the amperage of the DLS battery charger, and gauge of wire connections.

It seems appropriate to check to see if your IOTA charger is actually dropping down to 13.8V from 14.4 V. The Victron battery monitor is programmable and you can set it up for your specific battery specifications which I recommend that you do.

Then it will tell you, with reasonable accuracy, when you are in bulk, absorption or float stage. However, since you do not have the bluetooth capability I think you will have to plug your PC into the Victron unit to do the programming (as well as to download the battery log) but perhaps you can do the programming from the push buttons on the face of the unit.

Alternatively, you could check the voltage while it is on the charger and then come back in 8 hours and see if it dropped down to 13.8V

Craig
Good info-thanks. I've got a lot to learn about using the Victron. If the smart phone app interface is a lot easier to use than the printed manual and buttons on the panel, I will order the Bluetooth dongle. Do you know if the solar output goes through the Iota or is it wired in parallel to the batteries?

the bluetooth app is wonderful. But you can do everything right from the 702 screen. Just takes a while to get used to it.

ckent323 said:
dharte,

From the IQ4 Spec sheet
BULK STAGE
ABSORPTION STAGE
FLOAT STAGE
EQUALIZATION STAGE

BULK 14.8V
ABSORPTION 14.2V
FLOAT STAGE 13.6

Alternatively, you could check the voltage while it is on the charger and then come back in 8 hours and see if it dropped down to 13.8V Do you mean 13.6?

Craig

Craig I just ran through the 2015 Hawk flatbed system that has the Iota DSL 30 / IQ4 built in and my readings at the battery match what you posted. And the FWC provided 2 Fiamm AGM battries in parallel show printed on them: Cycle use 14.4 - 15.0 v and Standby 13.5 - 13.8 v. That puts what the Iota is delivering just right.

An update if anyone is curios-just returned from a 7 day trip to the desert (Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree), and had the fridge running a lot, even at night (it was hot). According to the monitor, the lowest the batteries got was 89% capacity. I think I'm good for now without an extra solar panel.

Back
Top Bottom