New camper! Looking for solar suggestion 160w or 200w?

RyanOBrian1

Advanced Member
Hey all! I finally picked up my 2015 Eagle shell yesterday... I'm beyond excited. Now I'm looking at adding solar. I'm torn between (2) 100w Zamp flexible solar panels or (1) 160w Zamp rigid panel?

Right now all I will be running is the furnace, LED lights, fantastic fan, maybe charging a few phones/ iPads. The reason I think I need more solar then less is because I do plan on adding an ARB or some top loading fridge. I also will be doing a LOT of winter camping in the ski lots. On top of this I'd like to be able to leave my dog in the camper during the ski day and run the heat at around 60 degrees. Because of that I'm leaning toward the 200w flexible. It is a lot more expensive though. Any suggestions?

Pic for everyone!

u8bIA6C.jpg

Do you have tracks? I just got the 150w from Solar Blvd and it is long enough to reach across the tracks without any other support, saves weight. I really like the idea of the light weight flex panels, but after reading this thread I stayed with the rigid panels.

Edit: I can add lift struts and still be less cost than the flex panels.

Is Zamp selling the flexible panels now? Last time I checked they were still working things out. Given the issue that folks have had with the Renogy flexible panels, I would be a little cautious. BTW, from all understanding, Renogy has been very stand up regarding the problem. Great customer service from what was reported.

Personally, I would go with the rigid panel.

I put this in another thread but Costco has 100 watt rigid panels for $129. A controller is $85 - $100 and wiring is another $15 or $20. You can hard mount or make a "portable" kit.

Somebody once said:
"You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much solar!"

Or something like that.

I'd go with the 200 W but would probably go hard panels as others have mentioned. Ski lots aren't going to always give you the best charging conditions so the more you can gather the better.

Congrats on the Eagle; nice looking rig.

I have 2 X 100 watt rigid Renogy panels feeding 208 amphours of battery. This is to run an old compressor refrig, MaxxFan, LED lights, Trimetric 2030, iPhone 5S, Macbook Pro, weBoost 4G-M, 2 X 12 volt portable fans. I currently use a catalytic heater. I seldom went below 80% overnight and only once was I not back to 100% by evening (overcast day, 90+°F). Most of the time I am back to 100% by noon. Panels add 34 lbs. to the roof.

IMO they still haven't worked out the bugs on the flex panels. So I'd steer clear until they fix the problems.

Work out an energy budget to see how much solar you need. Solar harvest sucks in the winter (at least in Minnesota: short days and overcast too much). I'd go rigid and 160 - 200 watt panels.

jim

How many batteries are you running? I have 2 batteries, 80L compressor fridge, 100W Zamp rigid panel on the roof. I use a CPAP machine. I have been real careful about running extra things. It is my belief you will need 2 batteries and solar to run a compressor fridge. That seems to be the sentiment of others. I also just purchased a 80W portable Zamp
Good luck and welcome to WTW and FWC

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

I would definitely get the larger panel. Check the specs on the panel, it may be a 24v panel. If so, it will not be efficient with your 12v system (unless you get a MPPT controller). You may need to go to a 150watt (12v) panel or two 100 watt panels instead.

billharr said:
Do you have tracks? I just got the 150w from Solar Blvd and it is long enough to reach across the tracks without any other support, saves weight. I really like the idea of the light weight flex panels, but after reading this thread I stayed with the rigid panels.

Edit: I can add lift struts and still be less cost than the flex panels.
I do have the Yakima tracks. I think the 160w goes will fit all the way across. I'm leaning more toward the rigid panels now.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Is Zamp selling the flexible panels now? Last time I checked they were still working things out. Given the issue that folks have had with the Renogy flexible panels, I would be a little cautious. BTW, from all understanding, Renogy has been very stand up regarding the problem. Great customer service from what was reported.

Personally, I would go with the rigid panel.
They did start selling them, I haven't heard of any problems with them yet. But like others are suggesting, removing the flexible panels would be a pain in the ass.

Cayuse said:
Somebody once said:
"You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much solar!"

Or something like that.

I'd go with the 200 W but would probably go hard panels as others have mentioned. Ski lots aren't going to always give you the best charging conditions so the more you can gather the better.
Yea, I'd prefer the 200 watt but I think I may be able to get away with just 160w. After all I'm primarily going to be using it for the furnace. Maybe in the future if I need more I can add another 100w panel or a 80w portable.

JaSAn said:
Congrats on the Eagle; nice looking rig.

I have 2 X 100 watt rigid Renogy panels feeding 208 amphours of battery. This is to run an old compressor refrig, MaxxFan, LED lights, Trimetric 2030, iPhone 5S, Macbook Pro, weBoost 4G-M, 2 X 12 volt portable fans. I currently use a catalytic heater. I seldom went below 80% overnight and only once was I not back to 100% by evening (overcast day, 90+°F). Most of the time I am back to 100% by noon. Panels add 34 lbs. to the roof.

IMO they still haven't worked out the bugs on the flex panels. So I'd steer clear until they fix the problems.

Work out an energy budget to see how much solar you need. Solar harvest sucks in the winter (at least in Minnesota: short days and overcast too much). I'd go rigid and 160 - 200 watt panels.

jim
Thanks I'm so happy with it! With everything you're running it seems like 200w would be a slight overkill for me...(or would it?) I think I'll be able to get by w/ 160watt rigid

longhorn1 said:
How many batteries are you running? I have 2 batteries, 80L compressor fridge, 100W Zamp rigid panel on the roof. I use a CPAP machine. I have been real careful about running extra things. It is my belief you will need 2 batteries and solar to run a Cresson fridge. That seems to be the sentiment of othets. I also just purchased a 80W portable Zamp
Good luck and welcome to WTW and FWC

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app
I only have one battery

I would definitely add a second battery. I worked with a single battery and used it sparingly, but after a while you're dipping pretty low into the one battery's reserve from time to time and that seems to be what kills them.. You don't do that with two batteries. Then again, I camp in 20-degree temps.

Ace! said:
I would definitely add a second battery. I worked with a single battery and used it sparingly, but after a while you're dipping pretty low into the one battery's reserve from time to time and that seems to be what kills them.. You don't do that with two batteries. Then again, I camp in 20-degree temps.
Good to know. Most of my winter camping will be around 20 degrees. Think ski parking lots :D

Low sun angle and chance of daily snow cover would be a great reason to go with larger panels. Enjoy the skiing, Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave said:
Low sun angle and chance of daily snow cover would be a great reason to go with larger panels. Enjoy the skiing, Bigfoot Dave
And have a way to brush the snow off. jim

A strong +2 on the second battery for cold weather camping, and a battery monitor to keep track of usage if you don't have one (like the Trimetric 2030RV). I also follow the Airstream forums, and would be hesitant to use flexible panels based on what I have read (though some do like them).

I have a 160 watt panel on my Hawk. I run two batteries and have a tri-metric unit. I also have the full LED lighting package, a furnace, 80 liter fridge, etc. I would definitely get the second battery and would NOT go with a panel less than 160 watts. I just got back from a hunting trip where it was really cold/snowy, but the system worked well. Due to the short days, low angle of the sun and snow on the panel at times, the system worked, but not nearly as well as it does in the summer. I took my generator just in case. I am thinking that for next summer I'm going to make an 80 or 100 watt portable panel that I can deploy along with my track mounted 160 watt panel.

Trailbob said:
A strong +2 on the second battery for cold weather camping, and a battery monitor to keep track of usage if you don't have one (like the Trimetric 2030RV). I also follow the Airstream forums, and would be hesitant to use flexible panels based on what I have read (though some do like them).
Thanks, I think I'm going to try it with a single 160w and one battery and see how that goes. Adding an additional battery is easy if I need it.

Bwht4x4 said:
I have a 160 watt panel on my Hawk. I run two batteries and have a tri-metric unit. I also have the full LED lighting package, a furnace, 80 liter fridge, etc. I would definitely get the second battery and would NOT go with a panel less than 160 watts. I just got back from a hunting trip where it was really cold/snowy, but the system worked well. Due to the short days, low angle of the sun and snow on the panel at times, the system worked, but not nearly as well as it does in the summer. I took my generator just in case. I am thinking that for next summer I'm going to make an 80 or 100 watt portable panel that I can deploy along with my track mounted 160 watt panel.
Thanks this is really helpful. Has anyone used the Zamp premium controller? I'd prefer the trimetric I think but don't know much about the Zamp controller.

RyanOBrian1 said:
Thanks, I think I'm going to try it with a single 160w and one battery and see how that goes. Adding an additional battery is easy if I need it.
Ryan, it's better to have matched age and capacity batteries when they are installed in parallel. For example, if the older battery started to have degraded performance, it would drag down the the newer battery. That would/could defeat the objective of having increased ampere hours.

RyanOBrian1 said:
Thanks this is really helpful. Has anyone used the Zamp premium controller? I'd prefer the trimetric I think but don't know much about the Zamp controller.
I have a Zamp 30 ampere controller on my travel trailer. It's an older model, but has worked well. I'm charging two group 24 lead acid batteries with a 150 watt Zamp panel. I'd like to have more bells and whistles, but maybe the current 'Premium' version has that.

Excellent point on matching batteries and very important. I installed a Trimetric 2030 meter and their SC2030 solar controller last summer. The pair really work great and having accurate information on my 12 volt system leads to more comfort. Have you checked out "Handy Bob RV" on the internet? I learned quite a bit after sifting through it. He is a great resource, Bigfoot Dave

Back
Top Bottom