New Dometic RM 2193 stopped cooling under propane

patrickkidd

I am in a dometic RM 2193 that is only a few months old, and just stopped cooling when running on propane. It might be very easily and stays lit.

Dometic no longer has a phone tech-support, so I’m not sure what to do.

Help! My milk is getting warm!

Rather than trying to get a propane fridg diagnosed and repaired via the internet, just go to an RV dealer/service centre, especially if it is still under warranty.

DanoT said:
Rather than trying to get a propane fridg diagnosed and repaired via the internet, just go to an RV dealer/service centre, especially if it is still under warranty.
Because there isn’t a repair shop where I am in Jackson, WY.

patrickkidd said:
There is a campground in the Jackson area that is open year round. They might know of a mobile RV tech in the area or offer other help.

Guess OP hasn’t been back. Wonder if something simple like outta propane? It happens.

ardvark said:
Guess OP hasn’t been back. Wonder if something simple like outta propane? It happens.
It is not for lack of fuel. There are just not many resources here though I am not done looking. Running it on 12VDC for a while helped the efficiency on propane a little, but didn't solve it.

If you have flame and hot stack possibly dirty burner or low pressure from regulator. How does your cooktop flame look or how does your water heater sound? It is staying lit after ignition right so thermocouple is good.

DC operation is just a “sustainer” it won’t do jack to drop the temp in the box. Biggest problem historically with Dometics in truck camper has been flame blowing out.

Even when working cool down from room temp takes hours.

Other propane appliances on the same circuit are performing well. Flame stays lit. 9000BTU heater still works as before.

If you have good pressure and flame, which it sounds like you do, there’s is nothing else to troubleshoot. Did you by chance have your flame blow out unwithout knowing it? If that happened there is not a darn thing you can but wait. You should be able to feel heat on the stack(right side and left side cooling coil. If you do your fridge is working. Cool down time will be literally hours. I am assuming here cooling coil is not a leaker which is rare in a newer fridge.

Operating on DC is most inefficient of operating choices given limited heat output from DC element.

ardvark said:
If you have good pressure and flame, which it sounds like you do, there’s is nothing else to troubleshoot. Did you by chance have your flame blow out unwithout knowing it? If that happened there is not a darn thing you can but wait. You should be able to feel heat on the stack(right side and left side cooling coil. If you do your fridge is working. Cool down time will be literally hours. I am assuming here cooling coil is not a leaker which is rare in a newer fridge.

Operating on DC is most inefficient of operating choices given limited heat output from DC element.
That is what I am gathering. The manual gives cleaning instructions, that I have admittedly not tried yet, but effectively says what you said: if there is flame and heat (which there is in my case), then take it in for a repair.

Give it a chance first. I have been down this road so many times with customers before. A fridge needs three things on propane, fuel for heat, level for efficiency, and unrestricted vent for heat transfer. These fridges are incredibly basic.

The simplest way to clean the burner is to simply take the metal cover off so you can see the burner and just blow hard on it with your mouth. It seldom takes more than that to blow flakes of rust off the burner.

My phone shows there is a mobile tech in Jackson Hole, but give it two full hours with the door kept closed, then check the freezer coils. They should start to feel cool by then per Dometic factory tech training. If they are,it should continue to cool down.

patrickkidd said:
My question is: where are you managing to stay overnight in an RV in Jackson Wy? I go there for the skiing but always end up in the Motel6 which is $60/night in winter (the off season) and the same room is $300/night in summer.

DanoT said:
My question is: where are you managing to stay overnight in an RV in Jackson Wy? I go there for the skiing but always end up in the Motel6 which is $60/night in winter (the off season) and the same room is $300/night in summer.
Lots of friends :) I used to live here

Back
Top Bottom