New door latch.

photohc

I'm thinking of replacing that rubber socket/metal plunger door holder with the new one being delivered today. Mine can't hold the door anymore and probably needs a new rubber socket. I'd like to hear some feedback on the new one. Thank you.

The one that holds the door open? I replaced just the rubber piece with a new one from Camping World I believe and it worked great. Didn't cost much and was pretty easy to replace. Original only lasted about 18 months. Maybe I should buy a couple next time.

Alan

The new one is very solid and positive in holding the door open. No complaints about how well it works but there is one disadvantage. If it is holding the door open, you have to get out of the camper and go around the edge of the door to release it so that it can be closed. A disadvantage in Oregon where the ground is always wet and if I have removed shoes, I need to put them back on unless I want wet socks. At least, I have not been able to release the latch to close the door without exiting the camper.

With the door holder like you have, you might be able to fashion a cheap alternative.Install a screw eye or footman loop in the inside of the door and and another in the camper rear wall. Attach a miniature bungee cord with a hook to the door screw eye/footman loop and stretch the bungee over the door and hook to the camper wall screw eye/footman loop.

Paul

I have the same problem with a worn out rubber insert. We use a bungee to hold the door while we wait to get a new insert. We can unhook it without leaving the camper. It works so well that we have using the bungee for a couple of years and don't feel the need to fix it. Probably will eventually though.

I agree with Paul and Kilroy. I believe Bill Harr made the same comment in another thread.

It's nice to be able to reach out and close the door from the inside of the camper.

Our FWC is just over a year old and the rubber socket is already not holding the door well anymore. Granted we use it a lot so your mileage may vary.

I am probably just repeating what others have already said. We stopped by FWC last week and both Mike and I requested the new door latch. I then changed my mind. Mike installed his and it looks good. The replacement rubber for the old door holder is not really that expensive, although it would be nice if they lasted a little longer. I bought a couple so I would have a replacement when needed.

I decided against the new latch because I also did not want to have to climb outside to unlatch the door. When I need the door to stay open in a bad wind, I have a short bungee cord that I attach to the door and the jack bracket.

Steve

Thank you all. I think I'll just keep the existing one and replace the rubber one. I don't like the idea of having to exit the camper to close the door.

NorCalSteve said:
I am probably just repeating what others have already said. We stopped by FWC last week and both Mike and I requested the new door latch. I then changed my mind. Mike installed his and it looks good. The replacement rubber for the old door holder is not really that expensive, although it would be nice if they lasted a little longer. I bought a couple so I would have a replacement when needed.

I decided against the new latch because I also did not want to have to climb outside to unlatch the door. When I need the door to stay open in a bad wind, I have a short bungee cord that I attach to the door and the jack bracket.

Steve
Steve, can you point me in the direction of where you got your replacement?

I ordered from amazon because I got free shipping with prime so the total cost was cheaper

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

I grew tired of the rubber stopper as well. I went through two of them within 2.5 years and replacing the rubber stopper means taking off the housing where the stopper sits inside, then the need to re-caulk and seal the metal housing back onto the door. Like you, I did not want to exit the camper to close or secure my camper door open using the new metal door attachment, so I decided to do this (Refer to the attachments) I can open my screen door and reach over main door, while inside the camper and hook or unhook the bungee cord. The cord stays in the eye bolt until next time I want to secure the door open. Works very well with a little practice, no metal noise, cost ~$5.00 and a simple solution....for now.

Attachments

• 20150408_183804.jpg
    20150408_183804.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 20150408_183813.jpg
    20150408_183813.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 20150408_183826.jpg
    20150408_183826.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 20150408_185412.jpg
    20150408_185412.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 239
I just checked it out on mine and the eyebolt/bungee idea looks to be a fine fix for me, too. I hope you don't mind me copying your idea, NorCalHawk, thanks for the suggestion.

RicoV,

Welcome, Have at it...glad I could be of help. The bungee cord is one of the loop type you find at any hardware store (packet of 3 or 4) with a black plastic ball. The bungee cord wraps around the ball. You may need to shorten the bungee for a nice secure fit.

Happy camper...

Back
Top Bottom