new Eagle coming, how to remove Tacoma tailgate

blutaco

Folks:

The new Eagle is coming soon. Preparing the 2006 Tacoma, I went to remove the tailgate and could not. The manual says unhook cables (OK), then tilt back 30 degrees and lift right side (NO WAY).

I could use some suggestions. The hinge on the right does have a slot so I gather the 30 deg tilt is supposed to line things up. But it does not seem even close to coming up off the hinge pin. Even a crow bar did not get it started though I did not want to bend sheet metal by really forcing it.

Suggestions, tricks?

Thanks.
Blutaco

Tailgate swing

Take the cables off, lower the tailgate until it is almost horizontal. Slowly raise the tailgate while pulling on the right (passenger) side. When you get to the correct angle the tailgate will lift off the pin. I don't know if it is 30 degrees, but this is what worked on my Tacoma.
Congratulations on the new Eagle.

tailgate off

Thanks for the reply. Turned out there is a plastic bushing in the right hand side and that that bushing had rotated, so it blocked the slot in the hinge. Used a screwdriver to rotate bushing back to align its slot with metal part of hinge, did what you said to do, and tailgate off. -Blutaco

Back
Top Bottom