New emergency satellite communication device?

I think other phone manufactuers have had this for a while. Not an apple innovation and I doubt they are the first (granted they'll get all the press though :) ).

kmcintyre said:
I think other phone manufactuers have had this for a while. Not an apple innovation and I doubt they are the first (granted they'll get all the press though :) ).
Interesting. I had not heard of this capability in a cell phone before..

kmcintyre said:
Who? According to a company executive, Android will not be there till 2023. There have been lots of ideas, plans and rumors, but I think Apple is first, not by much.

Article of interest: https://www.geekwire.com/2022/apple-lynk-satellites-plus-cellphones/

T mobile has announced a partnership with starlink to provided text service anywhere with no additional or change to phones so assume it will include android

Prior to the A-14 press release Iridium fones were the only satellite service capable that I know of. Fones, not Spot's and InReach's.

As I understand it, T-Mobile is using a legacy frequency band that they acquired from Sprint. I think they were re-allocated from old analog VHF TV band. This would require frequency agile phones likely available in Android, IOS, and other flavors plus an agreement from T-Mobile for the purpose.

Paul

kmcintyre said:

I don't think so. Source > me- retired from 27 years in the technical side of cellular.

Back
Top Bottom