New Ford F150 V6

Barko1

Don't know that I seen anything posted on this. No small diesel but over 400# of torque and over 11,000 towing.

The twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 makes 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and a whopping 420 lb-ft of torque at 2,500 rpm. Ninety percent of that torque is available from 1,700 to 5,000 rpm. That's enough to tow 11,300 pounds and, at least on paper, silence any critics who claim they "ain't buyin' no dang V6."

The 3.5-liter EcoBoost also powers the current Taurus SHO, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKS and MKT.

The engine is loaded with high-tech componentry that would have seemed like science fiction to the engineers who built the flathead straight-six of the 1948 model year. Ford's twin independent variable cam timing adjusts the phases on each camshaft by up to 60 degrees on the intake cam and 50 degrees on the exhaust. BorgWarner makes the two turbochargers — one for each bank of cylinders — that add up to 13.5 psi of boost to the combustion process. An intercooler sits up front, sharing grille space with the radiator. Direct injection blasts fuel into the combustion chambers at 2,100 psi. Cast iron exhaust manifolds are durable and help with catalyst light-off. Computer mapping for the turbo is unique to the F-150.

"Truck customers should think of the EcoBoost truck engine as a gas-powered engine with diesel-type capability and characteristics," said Jim Mazuchowski, V6 engines program manager. "The twin turbochargers and direct injection give it the broad, flat torque curve that makes towing with a diesel so effortless — and hard acceleration so much fun."

But the EcoBoost V6 engine and its peripheries weigh about the same as the previous 5.4-liter V8, so there's no loss of curb weight based on having two fewer cylinders.

This is a great engine. I went looking for a small SUV with a Diesel and wasn't able to find what I wanted... either price or space or unacceptable mileage improvement. Anyway, we ended up buying an Ecoboost Flex last Thanksgiving and I have put about 25,000 miles on it already. The power is always there regardless of what gear you are in... very Diesel like! It is unbelievable the power that is coming out of these engines that enable the 5000 lbs Flex to be a 13 second car in the quarter! The mileage is better than a comparable V8, but I would stay say that it is shy of the Diesel mileage given that my Dodge gets about the same mileage with more torque and almost as much hp while hauling around 2000 lbs more. I average about 19 mpg in both vehicles, so from the fuel cost perspective, the Flex is cheaper to run on regular unleaded fuel.

The eco-boost is impressive. We bought a 2010 F-150 with the the "old" 5.4 engine. It drives and rides better than any vehicle that I've owned before. I've started referring to our CR-V, which did two trips to Canada and one to Alaska and the Yukon, as "the Go-Kart". So far we're averaging a bit over 19 mpg. We averaged 23.5 on a Florida trip in August. But the truck was essentially "naked". I expect a drop in mileage after our Hawk is installed later this month. But, we bought the truck so we would have someplace to put the Hawk. The current state of engine and engine management technology is incredible!

The mileage is better than a comparable V8, but I would stay say that it is shy of the Diesel mileage given that my Dodge gets about the same mileage with more torque and almost as much hp while hauling around 2000 lbs more.

I've been reading up on this offering a tad for the f150. Although its not quite diesel numbers, its pretty damn impressive AND it sounds like the premium for this engine isn't going to be anywhere near what diesels are costing so that is a solid positive.

I'm curious to see what the maintanence costs will be with this engine. Time will tell. It is a neat idea and I like the fact that they went to direct injection.

Kevo

I'm curious to see what the maintanence costs will be with this engine. Time will tell. It is a neat idea and I like the fact that they went to direct injection.

Kevo

Yeah, maintenance and engine longevity, etc. that all needs to stay within reason.

So far at 32k, the only maintenance I have had is oil changes with the Ford specified Motorcraft semi synthetic oil. Since purchasing the Flex, I have heard of some manufacturers having trouble with carbon buildup in the intakes on direct injection engines. Supposedly Ford worked out a mechanism to prevent or at least minimize this on the Ecoboost engines. I'm only aware of 1 person that has taken a peak inside their engine so far and they reported no issues. I have high hopes for the engine/vehicle. I just wish the tank was a little larger so that I would get the same 500+ mile range that the Dodge CTD and Jetta TDI get per tank.

So far at 32k, the only maintenance I have had is oil changes with the Ford specified Motorcraft semi synthetic oil. Since purchasing the Flex, I have heard of some manufacturers having trouble with carbon buildup in the intakes on direct injection engines. Supposedly Ford worked out a mechanism to prevent or at least minimize this on the Ecoboost engines. I'm only aware of 1 person that has taken a peak inside their engine so far and they reported no issues. I have high hopes for the engine/vehicle. I just wish the tank was a little larger so that I would get the same 500+ mile range that the Dodge CTD and Jetta TDI get per tank.

I'd hope/expect nothing wrong that early otherwise someone REALLY screwed up. Main question will be did they build the block/components strong enough to handle the duty 150k+ miles.

I'd hope/expect nothing wrong that early otherwise someone REALLY screwed up. Main question will be did they build the block/components strong enough to handle the duty 150k+ miles.

I read somewhere they tested it over something like 200k+ in harsh conditions. But they all say that.

Yeah, 150,000 or 200,000 is what I saw they tested the turbos to... At this rate, it will have 100k in another 2 years and will probably be replaced with another business vehicle. If it is problem free that whole time, we may keep it as a personal vehicle and replace it with something else for work... we'll see.

The eco-boost is impressive. We bought a 2010 F-150 with the the "old" 5.4 engine. It drives and rides better than any vehicle that I've owned before. I've started referring to our CR-V, which did two trips to Canada and one to Alaska and the Yukon, as "the Go-Kart". So far we're averaging a bit over 19 mpg. We averaged 23.5 on a Florida trip in August. But the truck was essentially "naked". I expect a drop in mileage after our Hawk is installed later this month. But, we bought the truck so we would have someplace to put the Hawk. The current state of engine and engine management technology is incredible!

I just bought a 2010 F150 with a crew cab and 5 1/2 ft. bed, still wondering how my hawk will look and fit. What size bed is your new truck? Terri

Back
Top Bottom